Go big or go home: Mirage IV

Hi Enzo,

You may already have fixed it but what is the fit of the big radome in the belly like - on the Heller kit it was rather vague and would have benefitted from some tabs inside the fuselage to support it - as it seems to have been a sort of cream colour they wont show through the glazing.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

11 minutes ago, PeterB said:

You may already have fixed it but what is the fit of the big radome in the belly like - on the Heller kit it was rather vague and would have benefitted from some tabs inside the fuselage to support it - as it seems to have been a sort of cream colour they wont show through the glazing.

On this kit it is absymal.   But I thought it might be so I added a thick plastic card roof to the area to stop the transparent part from falling through when i eventually fit it. 

• Like 1

I've been spending a fair bit of time sanding the joints - especially the wing roots - and rescribing panel lines.  It's now time for me to stop faffing around and move forward.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 4/5/2023 at 10:57 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

It's interesting to see that the crew have to push the canopies open. 

..crew comfort wasn't a feature of the Mirage IV ..the pilots had to fight with Dassault engineers to get some form of (necessarily) heated relief tube installed into the aircraft. Dassault said the equipment for this one function was far too costly ... (given the proximity of the radar and the radio altimeter to the 'outlet' they were reluctant to incorporate one)

http://aviateurs.e-monsite.com/pages/1946-et-annees-suivantes/pipi-room.html

• Like 2

I sprayed the grey using Lifecolor UA-073.  Then I masked the grey areas.

spacer.png

The green was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-238.  It's a very simple camouflage scheme and there is little need for fetail painting.  To demostrate the size of this moel, I would normally use the Bobby No Mac Standardised Comparison Method with a can of Old Speckled Hen.   But as it's my birthday today, I'm going for something a little different.

spacer.png 

• Like 5

Another Youtube find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d25XUgkwt4o

Oddly, it seems that the aircraft begins its roll with the canopies unlatched!  :yikes:

I love the positive brake check.  This video also clearly demonstrates that the closer you get to the aircraft's centreline, the quieter it becomes.  Sound propagates sideways, so that means if you stand directly behind a jet in full reheat, you cannot hear it.  Just don't stand too close...  :lol: 

What is the pod on the belly centreline? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Another Youtube find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d25XUgkwt4o

Oddly, it seems that the aircraft begins its roll with the canopies unlatched!  :yikes:

I love the positive brake check.  This video also clearly demonstrates that the closer you get to the aircraft's centreline, the quieter it becomes.  Sound propagates sideways, so that means if you stand directly behind a jet in full reheat, you cannot hear it.  Just don't stand too close...  :lol: 

What is the pod on the belly centreline? 

Good morning Enzo

To me the centreline pod is the CT 52

http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/listinmae/images/listinmae/appareils/dassault/mirage_IV_62/mae-Pyperpote-100609-Halls-A-et-B-143.JPG

Best Regards

Patrice

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I neglected to take photos of the greeblies ready for fitment...  :wall:  :sorry:

But it does mean we're finished!  :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A ventral view showing the radar and the bucket of sunshine.

spacer.png

Let's put the size of this thing into context

spacer.png

• Like 5