Does anyone remember the Vickers Viscount?

Once upon a time my "local" was Southend Airport, home to British Air Ferries' fleet of Viscounts so they were a familiar sight and sound back in the day.

Your excellent background looks a lot like Belfast City Airport's tin shed when I flew into the city on work trips.

• Like 1

Yes Richard, the departure lounge/arrivals was a slightly stretched portacabin.  I think there were a few mars bars you could buy but that was it.

They kind of couldn't imagine why anyone would want to go to Belfast Aldergrove in 1975, except under duress!

Regards

Andrew

• Haha 1

Oh yes! A staple at Liverpool Airport with Cambrian and British Eagle. Regularly flew over our house on finals before the ‘new’ runway was built. I can hear the four Darts droning as  I type.

Trevor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndrewCJ50 said:

Does it bring back any memories for some of you?

Yes, indeed! A family holiday to Austria in 1969 - Austrian Airways from LHR to Innsbruck, with the fighter-like descent into the Inn valley. Those big windows gave a breathtaking view of the scenery.

Excellent model and diorama!

Now that does bring the Viscount memories flooding back. The screech of those four Darts and the whiff of Jet A1 as they taxied off stand at Eastleigh. A jump seat trip on G-BBVH from Gibraltar to Tangier and back.

Such is the power of your  diorama Andrew. Guess its a big part of what the hobby is all about. Sadly the subject, G-AOYL was Scrapped at Southend around 1991, not before donating many parts to help in the preservation of G-APIM at Brooklands.

Edited by jyguy
syntax.

Sorry to hear of the fate of G-AOYL, I did wonder if it was the aircraft I flew from Newcastle?  It did bear the north east logo.  I used to greet my old Newcastle school mate at Aldergrove airport every summer and to me aviation meant Viscounts and that Jet A1 smell.  I can highly recommend Authentic Airliners models

Regards

Andrew

That's just beautiful Andrew, both the model and the diorama. Thanks for sharing such inspirational modelling.

As a frequent spotter at Glasgow in the 1970s and 80s I remember the Viscounts very clearly, particularly G-APIM which was a Glasgow regular and is now preserved. In 1997 my wife and I had a flight on G-APEY when it was doing the Viscount's farewell tour. It included a low-level flypast at Prestwick followed by a "hanging on the props" climb back to cruising altitude, one of my happiest memories of flying.

Dave G

Yes definitely brings back memories. I don't actually remember my first flight in a Viscount because I was still growing inside my Mother. An Aer Lingus Viscount to the Isle of Man. Maybe that antenatal experience infected me with the aviation bug.🙂

Later I saw the heartbreaking sight of the nose sections of the scrapped Aer Lingus fleet in a yard near where I lived.

But I definitely remember flying to Luton and back from Dublin on a Virgin Viscount, probably G-APEY. I also remember the big windows. 

A fondly remembered experience.

Beautiful Viscount you have built there. Love it!

I indeed remember (and sorely miss) the Viscounts and Heralds. I grew up near Southend airport, so had years of the sights and sounds of RR Darts, British Air Ferries Viscounts and Heralds, Air UK F-27s and Heavylift Belfasts right up to the mid 1990s. My first airliner flight was in a BAF Herald too. Happy days!

Oh for a 1/72 Viscount 800 and Herald!

Great work! Thanks for sharing!

Steve

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I indeed remember (and sorely miss) the Viscounts and Heralds. I grew up near Southend airport, so had years of the sights and sounds of RR Darts, British Air Ferries Viscounts and Heralds, Air UK F-27s and Heavylift Belfasts right up to the mid 1990s.

Sitting in the Marlborough Head's Beer Garden one sunny Friday evening with some folk from work and watching a smoky 707 freighter performing touch-and-go landings for about half an hour ..... 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Sitting in the Marlborough Head's Beer Garden one sunny Friday evening with some folk from work and watching a smoky 707 freighter performing touch-and-go landings for about half an hour 

That's one of the things I loved about EGMC. The wild variety of types that used to go through there. Aircraft from obscure African cargo operators (often dodgy), various airliner types in their Autumn years of operations and always lots of warbirds transiting through customs. Several notable things I remember: XL426 circling before her final landing, three B-17s flying in after several low passes together for re-paints at Heavylift for the Memphis Belle movie, a flight of fire bomber Grumman Trackers buzzing around, Doug Arnold's B-17 transiting through prior to going to the US, catching the last few BAF Carvair flights etc, etc. The airport seems very sterile now in comparison.

Getting back on topic: Is the Viscount 1/144 scale and how did you find the 26 Decals? Got some myself, but haven't got around to using them yet.

Steve

• Like 2

Spring - summer 1974 I worked for British Midland at Jersey Airport airside baggage handling and assisting with ground handling. Besides the BMA Viscounts we also worked on Air Anglia F-27s and Dan Air 748s.One of our jobs was to pull the plug on the ground generator when both/all four engines were fired up. This involved getting underneath the aircraft. You never forget the sound of those turbo-props having been up close and personal.

Lovely build by the way.

Seeing the photos of your beautiful model brings back many fond memories. The airport in Holland where I lived close by had a short lived daily scheduled flight by British Air Ferries to Luton (or was it Stansted) with Viscount. Sometimes in their own livery, sometimes in Virgin livery. But all from the G-AOY* series, the same as your model. I am just adding sound to your photos! Great work!

Peter

I remember them flying over our house when I was little, a very distinctive shape, probably flying into/out of Liverpool.

Cheers

Dennis

Not just remember - my very earliest memory is looking out of the window of one of these at fishing boats as we flew into Guernsey. I was about 4 years old. I know it was a Viscount as I got a big plastic toy one as a momento of the holiday.

Superb model!

I liked the Viscount.  It was comfortable, reasonably quiet and a sort of like an elegant aunt you'd not be ashamed.

Manchester to Edinburgh and back, a good few times (Loganair or was it Cambrian, I seem to recall)

London HR to Paris CdG (too long ago to recall what airline, probably BEA)

I also seem to recall a trip from Cardiff to Paris but I may have got that wrong.

And I also think I recall a trip from London to Rotterdam, just once, replacing the usual Fokker Friendship on my 'commute' to our office in the Netherlands.

Did several Maastricht to Gatwick return trips in 85/86 when Virgin operated the route.My dad flew to Tripoli from Gatwick and back 12 months later in 57/58 with Transair during National Service.Probably the best views from any airliner windows ever.