501 Squadron Spitfire Vb assistance needed

Ozhawk40

Hello guys

I'm hoping there's a 501 expert out there somewhere! (google is failing me)

I'm looking for the squadron code letter for Spitfire AA924 when is served with 501 Squadron.

SD-? 

Is there a picture available?

Further info on flying accident 1-4-42?

The base info I have is as follows:

Supermarine Spitfire AA924 Mk Vb Const #2228, Built at High Post.

FF 27-10-41, Delivered to No 9 MU 11-1941,

assigned to 501S 7-11-41, flying accident Cat CB damage 1-4-42, ROS,

transferred to 72S 26-4-42, transferred to 306S 18-5-42, transferred to 133S 29-9-42, transferred to 336S 1-10-42, air collision with Mosquito HJ643 crashed nr Atcham CE 28-8-43, SOC.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Peter

Well, the only hint that I can offer so far is that your aircraft came to 501 Squadron on November 7th.  AA837 had been lost over France on the 3rd, and according to "Fighter Command Losses", THAT was 'E'.  So if '924 was its replacement, it might have been 'E'.

Edit: Note that 501's ORB doesn't appear to say anything at all about the accident/damage, which is not unusual.

bob

Edited by gingerbob
put in the serial number I had MEANT to!
  • Like 2

Thank you Bob, that's helpful.

Just to clarify, yes AA924 may have been the replacement for AA837 that crashed in France 4th November 1941.  Details "Pilot Officer E H L Shore: prisoner of war; aircraft failed to return from operational flight over enemy territory, Spitfire AA837, 501 Squadron, 4 November 1941."  AA837 was coded SD-E. 

spacer.png

Cheers

Peter

(I corrected the serial number, obvious brain fart.)

Unfortunately the plot thickens- I did a little deeper checking this morning, and:

BL240 also arrived on 7 November (same day as AA924)

(another Squadron aircraft was lost on the 8th, AD188)

AA910 arrived on 11 Nov

(and another lost 17th, AD129)

AD538 arrived on 23 Nov

So it seems we have at least one rival for a potential new 'E', even assuming that it was a direct "Oh, we need a new 'E', paint up one of the new kites."

Edited by gingerbob

Cheers Bob

I'm hoping that someone out there has a copy of Watkins and Listemann's history on 501 Squadron.  It had a appendix with some of the serial/ code tie ups that may help to confirm.

As an update, I have found that AA924 suffered U/C collapse on the 1/4/42 whilst flown by Sgt Tomkins.

Thanks.

Peter