Colour question!

Keeff

As you know, I'm working on the RFM Sherman M4A3 with full interior.

The paint scheme suggests that the inside of the crew hatches in the hull and turret is white, but I read (can't recall where though) that they were painted green, the same as the outside as white would be a giveaway from the air. 

I've currently got mine in white primer, so a change of colour is easy at this stage. 

Can anyone help or advise me on this as I'd like to be reasonably accurate. 

Thanks in advance, 

Keith 😁 

Edited by Keeff

21 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Can anyone help or advise me on this as I'd like to be reasonably accurate. 

@Kingsman

21 minutes ago, Keeff said:

The paint scheme suggests that yhe inside of the crew hatches in the hull and turret is white, but I read (can't recall where though) that they were painted green, the same as the outside as white would be a giveaway from the air. 

I think the inside of the hatches would external colour, usually Olive Drab, and the inside of the turret was white,  though anything really visible from outside would not be,  but Shermans are a very complex subject....   which @Kingsman knows an awful  lot about....

HTH

• Like 1

Hatch inside surfaces were generally the exterior colour on everyone's tanks in WW2, Shermans being no exception.  It is usually still the case today.  Although you do see the odd abberation of interior colour - but it is definitely not usual.  If you have the engine compartment in that kit the insides of the engine access covers are exterior colour too.

Your M4A3E8 will be finished in the 1944 shade of OD, No22.  This had the same pigmentation as the earlier No9 but had a satin finish and a new formulation which gave it a a darker and greener appearance than the browner No9.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kingsman said:

If you have the engine compartment in that kit the insides of the engine access covers are exterior colour too.

Thank you @Kingsman @Julien @dnl42, informaton and links appreciated.

Looks like I'll be repainting the internals of the engine covers as they're white at the moment! 

Keith 😁