1/72 Grumman Duck

Another Airfix classic and with no shortage on rivets. It´s a very good kit and the details are most pleasing. I watched the Movie Murphy´s War and I was thinking about painting her dark blue, but my second thought inspired me to paint the Duck in the same colour scheme as the Swordfish in 1941. The model was brush painted and weathered using artist oils. Chipping effects with chrome silver using a cocktail stick. Rigging with Prym elastic thread and stretched sprue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 54

Another golden oldie from the past, I attempted this kit back in the day but never finished it, you have done a great job on the old Airfix kit especially as it is hand painted as well

• Like 1

A fun 'what if', seeing as the Duck never saw British service other than in Murphys war. 

But you might have held back on chipping the fabric surfaces. 🤣 But then again maybe the RN specified special metal leading edges.🤔

That makes sense. I'd go with that. 😉

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, noelh said:

A fun 'what if', seeing as the Duck never saw British service other than in Murphys war. 

But you might have held back on chipping the fabric surfaces. 🤣 But then again maybe the RN specified special metal leading edges.🤔

That makes sense. I'd go with that. 😉

Thank you for the kind words. That´s true. The aircraft did active duty in the US Navy for sea rescue missions and in the US coastal guard. I was very pleased with the chipping effects, but run out of patience to push it any further. I like the die-cast look you get from silver chippings. Adds another dimension to the build. 😉👍🍷

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Wow!  This is old school modeling, complete with invisible-stroke brush-painting, at its very finest.  I had no idea Airfix ever issued a kit of this subject!  It must go back a ways.

Thank you so much. This kit goes back to the late 60s. 🍷

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-263-grumman-duck--206566

14 hours ago, kev67 said:

Another golden oldie from the past, I attempted this kit back in the day but never finished it, you have done a great job on the old Airfix kit especially as it is hand painted as well

Thank you so much for your kind words. I´m chuffed that you like it. I started brush painting all my models since the get go. 🍷

Edited by bissyboat

22 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Looks good.

Why did you paint the front of the cowling like that? Was it to simulate the exhaust collector ring on a Swordfish?

Chris

That´s right. 😙

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Nice work bissyboat and a good choice of a more unusual colour scheme.

Thank you. It was more fun using this colour scheme rather than paint the Duck as OOB. 😁

You really scrubbed up this old kit well.  It is hard to build, has some oversize surface issues, but you made them less obvious and a great "what-if" kit.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 02:21, Sky Keg said:

Given the dated molds, this proves your exceptional talent.  :goodjob:

Mike

On 31/03/2023 at 04:05, dnl42 said:

Looks good! :thumbsup:

I like the scheme compared to more usual colors

On 31/03/2023 at 16:47, georgeusa said:

You really scrubbed up this old kit well.  It is hard to build, has some oversize surface issues, but you made them less obvious and a great "what-if" kit.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a million lads. So pleased you liked it. Much appreciated. 🌟

• Thanks 1

Nice.

I have one of these in the stash, but have been avoiding it ever since I struggled with the Airfix Widgeon, of similar vintage I think, which eventually turned on to short finals to the bin.

Glad to see yours has come together so nicely. Maybe I'll give mine a go after all. But then if it goes wrong I won't now be able to blame the kit ...

It may look like the same vintage from this perspective, but the Duck was quite a bit later and Airfix had moved on somewhat.  However the top wing was rather too close to the fuselage, and there was no aftermarket industry to produce replacements.  There was the same problem with the Supermodel Fiat CR.32, but with Warren struts it would be considerably more of a problem to correct.  I strongly suspect that with their recent rerelease Italeri have not corrected this, but it would be good to be proven wrong..

20 hours ago, Des said:

Lovely idea and fantastic results from the basic kit you were working with.

Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated. 🍷