Porsche 956 "Rothmans" #2, 24 hours of Le Mans 1983 (Tamiya 1/24 scale)

Hi guys,

I'd like to show this model I finished quite some time ago.

The kit is the Tamiya 956 "Kenwood" kit, I used the Tamiya PE parts set and Shunko decals on this. Paint is Zero Paints basecoat + 2K automotive clear.

The engine detail is very poor on this kit, so in addition to using the PE parts I added some scratch-built details and aluminium tubes. I also added rear suspension details and brake ducts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22

Nicely built I must say. I agree with you that engine area of this kit needs work and you have done nice work there. Also rear wheels look realistic. I think we need new generation Porsche 956/962 kit. This is still one of my favourite racing cars.

• Thanks 1

That is really nice, good details and nicely painted and decalled - top job! 

Talking of decals how did you find the Shunko things to work with? I've only used one of their sets on a Tamiya Opel Calibra and they were awful, some of the worst decals I've ever used - probably second only to Monogram NASCAR kit decals....!! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

Nicely built, especially as this is quite an old kit so this is a very good end result. Shame you did it before joining though as I'd have liked to have seen a WIP of it, only partly for selfish reasons as I have a 956 waiting to be built.

• Thanks 1

Group C Porsches were the star of the show in the 80's and your build shows the beauty of the 956, off beautifully.

Herr Singer would approve, I'm sure. 

Very nicely photographed as well. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks all, I appreciate your feedback!

On 29/03/2023 at 18:01, keefr22 said:

Talking of decals how did you find the Shunko things to work with?

To be honest, this was my first "serious" build of a race car ever. I started it in 2018, 2 years after I came back to the hobby in 2016. I had to buy another set of these decals because I spoilt a decal or two. That's one of the reasons why the build took 3 years (I built other models during that period, of course). In hindsight, I cannot say if the decals were that bad. I'd rather say I was unexperienced with using softeners and it probably was my fault. One or two things on the decals aren't looking right to me now, I'd like to think I'd do them better now.

On 29/03/2023 at 22:14, Spiny said:

Nicely built, especially as this is quite an old kit so this is a very good end result. Shame you did it before joining though as I'd have liked to have seen a WIP of it, only partly for selfish reasons as I have a 956 waiting to be built.

Thanks! I looked my old photo files up, but it seems like I did not take WIP pictures back then. Would certainly have shared them with you. Apart from the scratch-building, I'd strongly recommend to use the Tamiya PE detail-up set, which certainly helps, if you want to show the hood opened.

On 30/03/2023 at 11:36, Rob G said:

Very nicely done. In Tamiya's defence, this kit is streets ahead of most other car kits that were released in 1984.

Thanks, I fully agree! There's nothing wrong with this kit. Let's not forget, modern Tamiya kits mostly do not have ANY engine detail anymore. This can be made into a nice "full-detail" model, if you so wish, or just leave the hood shut and it's still a nice curbside.

On 30/03/2023 at 13:35, Watto said:

Group C Porsches were the star of the show in the 80's and your build shows the beauty of the 956, off beautifully.

Herr Singer would approve, I'm sure. 

Very nicely photographed as well. 

Thanks, yes Norbert Singer would probably recognize it! 😉 He's a true legend, with a sharp mind even at the age of 83. There's a lot of portraits and interviews with him on YT, he seems to remember every detail on all the cars... that collected 16 Le Mans wins in his 28 years with Porsche! 

Edited by TommyOneTwoFour
  • Like 4

On 31/03/2023 at 14:56, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Apart from the scratch-building, I'd strongly recommend to use the Tamiya PE detail-up set, which certainly helps, if you want to show the hood opened.

As will become clearer when I start my build (later this year I hope), the PE set may be a little OTT - I'm basically rebuilding one from my youth so it will not end up being one of my better builds I expect :( I certainly don't expect it to live up to the standard of this, just ok would be satisfactory I think.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...