RCAF Anson query

keithjs

I'd like to build this Anson from one of the Xtradecal sheets but was wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding what the marking on the nose is in front of the propeller? Also the colour of the 6453 on the fuselage? I think it's white (as per the Xtradecal sheet) as there's a distinct shade difference between it and the yellow undersides. What do think?Thanks for your help.

52778011340_c0220aefa5_b.jpg

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1

It is clearly lighter than the roundel, so I would suggest more of a lemon yellow.  The uppersurface of the fuselage and wing is also usually regarded as yellow, just producing glare under that hot Canadian sun.

I don't recall ever seeing White codes suggested for Canadian trainers, so it would be very odd.

• Haha 1

White fuselage numbers were very common in the BCTAP, when the background was a dark colour, be it overall finish or a coloured band.  Battles & Nomads quickly come to mind, so seeing that the Anson in the photo is obviously earth/green uppers (look closely - you can see the cam pattern) with a solid yellow spine and rectangles on the upper wings - the white 'last 4' of the serial would be quite normal - even if it is in a rather dirty state, like the white in the roundel.  The underside is 'trainer' yellow as per Xtradecal's colour call-out.   Overall, typical for a cam'd training aircraft in the BCTAP .... not all were yellow.   🙂

Odd they don't provide the 'nose-art' (maybe it wasn't applied on their references?), but under magnification, it does look like some sort of cartoon character.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

The nose art could be like this Anson, as provided by this image from Carl Vincent ( @Carl V ).

52777369177_4163309fea_b.jpg

As for the yellow bits on a BCATP Ansons, there's this:

52451779260_5dc15b0df3_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

Hi

I always like the cowling engine bulges in that last photo

one anson has white

one anson has blue and yellow

the middle anson in camo one has black ? 

i wonder if it meant something to the groundcrew

cheers

jerry 

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

I'd like to build this Anson from one of the Xtradecal sheets but was wondering if anyone has any ideas regarding what the marking on the nose is in front of the propeller? Also the colour of the 6453 on the fuselage? I think it's white (as per the Xtradecal sheet) as there's a distinct shade difference between it and the yellow undersides. What do think?Thanks for your help.

52778011340_c0220aefa5_b.jpg

Unrelated, but this picture really brings home how remarkably "airy" the passenger cabin looks... There are few 1930s aircraft I can think of that come close, especially for the passenger cabin. Seeing this, the excellent 1/48 Airfix kit could use having a few of the more visible internal framing tubes replaced with something thinner. The windscreen framing, on the other hand, matches the kit quite well. The finesse of the wing tip is also noteworthy: I had already thinned those on mine, and it caused no issues. A very nice photo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

...just producing glare under that hot Canadian sun.

I've been under a bright Canadian sun at -40C 🤣

• Like 1

More info from Carl:

This is an interesting query. I fear that I am no expert in either the RCAF Ansons nor their colour schemes and markings. Mind you, anybody who would claim to be such is suffering from egotistical hypertension. The Anson was the most numerous type ever acquired by the RCAF – a total of 4415 of all Marks. Their colour schemes etc., particularly of the Mark I, are myriad.

I attach a few photos that may be relevant to the query. The Anson pictured in the initial post and the majority of those in the images below are presumably from 1 Air Navigation School, Rivers, Manitoba. Furthermore, the images on the nose presumably indicate the Flight [?] to which the aircraft were allotted. I attach photos of those from C,B and E.

The first photo is simply to indicate how both yellow and white can be appropriate for the serial numbers. "

Carl

52779265296_9a4e78251c_b.jpg

52778738072_d7ce07fcdd_b.jpg

52779266151_9974b6d81b_b.jpg

52779745838_aed39fee69_b.jpg

52779746278_3767065b76_b.jpg

52779267391_2baa6ddc81_b.jpg

52778740057_69be066a4f_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to everyone for their input on this. I don’t think it should be too difficult to replicate the nose art and it’s nice to know it’s probably on both sides. Wonder what it’s supposed to represent?
The more I see those codes the more I’m convinced they’re white. If anyone does come up with colour proof they’re yellow I’ll quite happily change them.

So once again, thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!!

• Like 1