P-47D "Scatter Bain" of 355th FS/354th FG

Giorgio N

I'm thinking of building the old Hasegawa 1/72 P-47D for the current classic Japanese kit group build here. I know, it's not the best of kits and for this reason I'm planning of using it to try and make a unique subject.

Browsing through books and websites I found the aircraft of 354th FG, that seem to have carried some very interesting markings, even if the Group actually flew Thunderbolts for a short time.

Among them one that caught my attention was the mount of 1st Lt. Raymond Bain, named "Scatter Bain"

Fortunately there's a picture of this aircraft on the net:

http://www.354thpmfg.com/history_pt3_355thfs.html

In the same website however there is also a drawing of what may or not be the same aircraft:

http://www.354thpmfg.com/aircraft_unitmarkings.html

The difference between the two is clear to see: the name is further forward in the picture, starting right after the cowling flaps and ending under the windscreen. In the drawing the name starts under the windscreen and ends under the moving canopy.

Now my question is, were there two different aircraft carrying this name ? If so, would anyone know the serial number for the first one ?

Or was the aircraft the same and the artwork was modified at some point ? In that case I would already know the serial number and also the individual code

Or is it simply that for some reason the artist made a mistake when drawing the aircraft ? Again here I'd already know the serial number and code, I would just have to draw my own artwork to match the picture.

If anyone is interested, there's a interview to Raymond Bain from a few years ago on youtube, where he also mentions how his P-47D got her name

Thanks in advance for any information !

• Like 1

I have an interest in the 354th FG as I have lived near RAF Lashenden (now Headcorn Aerodrome) for several years and which, as an Advanced Landing Ground, was their base for a few months leading up to D-Day prior to their move to France.

I have the rather fabulous book 'The Pioneer Mustang Group: the 354th FG in WW2' by Steve Blake which runs to 446 pages of A4 sized hardback. Appendix G lists all P-47s and P-51s assigned to the 354th from 1943 to 1946 showing serial nos,, codes, pilots, name (this seems to be nose art) and comments relating to loss. 

There is only one P-47 shown as assigned to Bain - this has serial 42-29247 and code GQ-H. This is the one shown in the profile. However under 'Name' it shows 'none'  - perhaps recorded before the name was applied?

42-29247 shows as 'LIA 2-10-45 (New KIA)'. 

The only other plane I can find for Bain is a P-51D-20 s/n 44-63193 GQ-S named 'Scatterbain' shown as 'LIA 2-21-45 (Bain POW)'.

Maybe the P-47 profile is just a bit careless with the positioning of 'Scatter Bain'?

Hopefully helpful.

all the best

Mark

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Mark, this is great info ! If the only P-47D assigned to him was 42-29247, then it's very likely that the artist did not follow the picture properly. I will follow the profile regarding location of the codes (that is consistent with other aircraft of the unit of which I've seen pictures showing the whole side. One such picture shows the right side, with the unit code GQ forward of the star.

At the same time I'll follow the picture to determine location and size of the aircraft name, name that I believe should be in blue with a narrow black edge. All markings will have to be made from scratch, I'll see if my Silhouette cutter can cut letters of such small size with sufficient precision...

• Like 1

Thanks for those links, Giorgio! The only possible reason I could think of for moving the name (assuming that behind the cowling was the original location) would be that it went right across the data block, presumably.