Combat Kits Short Belfast?

Killingholme

Hi all,

Has anyone actually got any experience of building the  Combat Kits 1/72 Short Belfast? Of course I accept a resin kit on this scale will be challenging and may require home made spars, scratchbuilt wheel wells, etc to bring it up to scratch, but it would be interesting to know how well the main airframe goes together/ quality of the castings. I've fallen foul of 'big' resin kits before which required so much 'accurising', reinforcement and fettling (*cough* Anigrand...*) that I may as well have started from scratch!

Anyone willing to share their construction experience?

Will

I too am considering buying one of these. From what I understand, the Combat Kits model of the Short Belfast is based on the old Magna kit, but from photographs seem to be worlds apart from the original.

I have the Magna kit in the stash and it is quite basic in terms of detail and the castings, particularly the fuselage are very rough. The Combat Kits version looks to be quite refined in this respect, but either way, it will be a heavy model when completed.

I'm currently trying to work out the modellers calculation of cost x effort x time x willpower = display, whereby the additional cost of the Combat kit may reduce the values of effort x time x willpower to a more manageable sum and a quicker display. Either way, she's still a hefty lass.

Chris.

I have several Combat Kits items, from conversions to full kits and this includes the Blackburn Beverly which is similar in size to the Belfast. The quality of the kit in terms of casting is streets ahead of the Magna kits I have and there is a substantial amount of resin which with regard to fit will only become apparent as I build it. All the other comments you mention with regard to spars etc, will require some planning.