Russian Zil-131 Trumpeter 1:35

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hey everyone. This was a build from last year- my first 'proper' job since my entry level Tamiya Sherman. I ised Satin varnish over oils and pigments for weathering. The colour was Russian green 4Bo. The tires could definitely have looked better, but at this point, I hadn't learnt much about weathering, so I'm looking forward to building anoother 6x6 truck in the future. Please feel free to ask any questions and thanks in advance for taking a look. 🤝

Edited by Sherlock888
broken links
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Really nicely done. The tyres look ok. I'm guessing that they are that awful plasticky rubbery stuff that Trumpeter insist on inflicting on us. If I might make a helpful hint, get a  compressed charcoal stick from your local artists shop. Scrape the edge with a knife blade to get a powder, and then, using your finger end, rub it all over the offending tyre. You might find the weathering powders etc, then adhere a bit better. It also gives a more "rubber" appearance on the treads.

Regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Really nicely done. The tyres look ok. I'm guessing that they are that awful plasticky rubbery stuff that Trumpeter insist on inflicting on us. If I might make a helpful hint, get a  compressed charcoal stick from your local artists shop. Scrape the edge with a knife blade to get a powder, and then, using your finger end, rub it all over the offending tyre. You might find the weathering powders etc, then adhere a bit better. It also gives a more "rubber" appearance on the treads.

Regards

Pete

Great- thanks! I’ll try this in future 👍

Great job for a first proper job. Quite subtle weathering, looks good. I wont say anything about the tires on this one, they look good 😉

• Thanks 1

Wow, ZiL-131, memories of youth! I had to drive a lot on it in the army. Great truck! Only it seems to me that our tire tread was not so evil. You've got a very good model!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will allow myself another small clarification. According to the rules of the road in the USSR and modern Russia, the state registration number of the car must be front and rear. The front is usually on the bumper, as on your model, and the back of the ZIL-131 as in this photo. Military vehicles have black license plates with white letters and numbers. On large trucks and buses, the numbers are duplicated with paint on the back of the vehicle, as on your car. Therefore, for accuracy, you can add a small black plate with the state number at the bottom.

Sorry for being boring, maybe this will come in handy. 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I will allow myself another small clarification. According to the rules of the road in the USSR and modern Russia, the state registration number of the car must be front and rear. The front is usually on the bumper, as on your model, and the back of the ZIL-131 as in this photo. Military vehicles have black license plates with white letters and numbers. On large trucks and buses, the numbers are duplicated with paint on the back of the vehicle, as on your car. Therefore, for accuracy, you can add a small black plate with the state number at the bottom.

Sorry for being boring, maybe this will come in handy. 🙂

spacer.png

The same truck no less! 🤓 Thanks for this- strangely, the kit didn’t come with a rear number plate. It wouldn’t take much to fashion a new one, but this was only my second model, so was trying to keep it simple. Thanks for the info! Some great streaking effects on the back of those rear mud guards! 

• Like 1

This is a training truck of the United Technical School DOSAAF of Simferopol. The black letter Y in the triangle means that this is a training car. It trains young people to drive a car before serving in the army.

I also studied at such a driving school, only in St. Petersburg. 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for making me remember my youth with your model. 🙂

• Like 1