Australian MRH90 crash

Slater

Luckily there seems to be no fatalities.

"The Defence Flight Safety Bureau is investigating the cause of the crash, which eyewitnesses said involved sparks and an explosion at the top of the rotor blades. A damaged blade was visible on the beach where the helicopter was stranded before being lifted onto a naval vessel for examination. Defence officials have not commented on the possible causes of the malfunction, but some insiders have claimed that Australia has failed to properly maintain and manage the complex MRH-90 fleet."

https://www.defencetoday.com/air/air-platforms/australia-grounds-mrh-90-taipan-helicopter-fleet-after-crash/

Edited by Slater

Whereas "some insiders have claimed that" is journalese for We always agree with anything that puts a public agency in a bad light and we'll point it out in a way that makes you think it must be true while carefully not explicitly saying it is.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:49 AM, junglierating said:

on the plus side suceessful ditching and everyone safe 

On the plus side, another of those horrible bits of junk crashes (hopefully not to return to the skies and insult us with its presence, ever again!). (Yes, I hate NH-90's).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Who doesn't? 

That said, somehow they've sold nearly 500 of them! 

Glad the crew are out OK! Very curious to find out the cause... 

Amazing is it?

On 3/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, Sabrejet said:

"failed to properly maintain and manage" is not the same as, "blame the maintainers".

Valid point ....lets have a bow tie cause event 🤔😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting that Australian is replacing the MRH-90 with the 1970's-designed Blackhawk (although I'm sure that a UH-60M is considerably improved over a UH-60A). I would have thought that the newer design would ordinarily have the advantage.

1 hour ago, Slater said:

Interesting that Australian is replacing the MRH-90 with the 1970's-designed Blackhawk (although I'm sure that a UH-60M is considerably improved over a UH-60A). I would have thought that the newer design would ordinarily have the advantage.

Let's just say that Australia hasn't had a particularly happy time with its MRH-90s. On paper, a superb bit of kit. In service... nah. I believe that the other nations who fly it are less than happy also. I work with an ex-Australian Army airframe fitter, and he hasn't got much that's good to say about it. Tiger has proved much the same, Airbus overpromised and underdelivered, by quite a large margin, which is why Australia is buying ugly Apaches ASAP. (Not that Tiger's a beauty mind you, they're almost a caricature of an attack helicopter). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Glad the crew are out OK! Very curious to find out the cause... 

Maybe testament to the design?

Everybody OK seems quite an achievement in a crash!

Or was it benign after all, more like a ditching?

There certainly seem to be some flaws in its maintenance design... / setup indeed, true!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:44 AM, Rob G said:

Let's just say that Australia hasn't had a particularly happy time with its MRH-90s. On paper, a superb bit of kit. In service... nah. I believe that the other nations who fly it are less than happy also. I work with an ex-Australian Army airframe fitter, and he hasn't got much that's good to say about it. Tiger has proved much the same, Airbus overpromised and underdelivered, by quite a large margin, which is why Australia is buying ugly Apaches ASAP. (Not that Tiger's a beauty mind you, they're almost a caricature of an attack helicopter). 

MRH-90's, tigers and the Spartan have all been a nightmare.

Safe to say the ADF has had enough of Eurotrash, no wonder we went for the US subs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1