hudson torpedo thread

brewerjerry

Hi

I was sure i saw a hudson torpedo thread here

but  ...

old age i was looking at the toch forum 

anyway i never knew a hudson aircraft dropped a torpedo

but here an the IWM  website there is a photo of a  59 squadron hudson captioned as dropping a torpedo

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205023107

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

In my 50+ years of aircraft research and reading, I have never heard of on seen a photo of a Hudson being fitted with or carrying a torpedo.

The IWM photo captions are not always without errors. I have sent at least a half dozen caption corrections to them in the last 10 years.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi All 

ok that is why it was new to me, a wrong captioned photo then 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

On 26/03/2023 at 22:26, Graham Boak said:

There appears to have been three separate impacts, so probably not a torpedo.  The bombbay is too short for a British torpedo anyway.

It says those are flak from a shore battery though. The single (?) splash heading towards the ship makes mure sense. 

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

There is one single splash in the distance, but the Hudson is flying towards it not away.  However, as the Hudson couldn't and didn't carry the available torpedo, it doesn't matter.

Actually, that Hudson is flying toward the camera and away from the background splash. If you look closely at the Hudson, you can see the two nose guns on the upperside of the nose and the turret is behind the cockpit canopy. 

It still wasn't carrying a torpedo as a Hudson was neve meant to carry one and never, ever did, that I know of.

Chris