+++FINISHED+++ McClaren M23 James Hunt

As it's early in the GB and all I've got to do for the Lotus 99t is sort out a display base. I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with another classic F1 build. Although this is a later rebox of the original kit, the original kit was first released in 1977.

This time it will be James Hunts McClaren M23, built oob except for tobaccco decals as they're not included.

Made a start Friday evening and got a couple of sub asemblies built and into primer yesterday, then managed to get some colour on them today. Not much to see as yet, but as with most F1 kits, there seems to be endless painting of small pieces before assembly into larger sub assemblies. Picked up a Haynes manual at the right price as well to help me along the way.

20230322_174021 20230326_154752

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Seeing McLaren spelt McClaren looks so odd!

Never noticed tbh, auto correct has a lot to answer to, I must have spelt it that way before and the phone has remembered it 😅 😂 

Managed to get a few painted bits off the sticks and glued together tonight. Also spent a very frustrating couple of hours assembling the exhaust headers, got there in the end but trying to fit  bits of similarly bent pipes together and lined up before gluing was an absolute pig. Luckily I have more kits with the same engine, so I could use the engine sides off one as the templates as it was a lot easier to assemble the headers rather than on the built up lump. Hopefully more assembly tomorrow and get the exhausts mounted.

20230327_160720

• Like 8

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

This should be another beauty :popcorn:

Thanks Cliff

Hopefully, but it's fighting me at the minute with some flash and huge ejector pin marks, the mouldings are showing their age a little bit, but if all kits were really easy with no fettling, we might as well build Lego :)

Cheers

Ian :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

It being a James Hunt car did it come with scantily clad ladies to drape themselves over it on the starting grid ?

Good luck with this one.

Cheers Pat 

Cheers Pat 

Unfortunately not with the girlies, which is a good job as my figure painting skills are really suspect and they'd probably end up looking more like miss piggy than miss World 🤣🤣

• Haha 4

Got a little more done last night and the engine is pretty much finished now.

Concentrating on the bodywork now as I need to start hanging bits off it, so need to prep, prime and paint over the weekend hopefully :) 

As you can see, a fair bit of filler is needed to cover the joints and fill the ejector pin and sink holes

20230331_045519 20230331_045548

• Like 9

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That is a lot of filler for a Tamiya kit! The engine is looking good.

Cheers Adrian

First Tamiya F1 I've needed filler on, but a moulding rerun 34 years after the mould was first made it is to be expected I suppose.

Filled and primed body over the weekend and managed to get the white laid down with Tamiya LP2 and mr color self levelling thinners. Leave it to harden a couple of days then mask and spray the red and aluminium parts.

20230403_114513

• Like 6

Couldn't wait to get the red on so as it can harden fully. Bleed through in a couple of little areas and something in the paint on the rear wing, but that's OK. I can sort that most of the bleed was in the cockpit which has still to be painted so I didn't take as much care on the masking. Once it's dried I can see which decal set I'm going to use as they're both slightly different as most of the Marlboro red seems to be. This is TS36 out of a rattle can as it's what Tamiya recommend to suit their decals, let's see 😅

20230404_120423

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Masked off the tub at the weekend to spray the aluminium in the cockpit and the Tamiya masking tape took the shine off the red, so I micromeshed it back and thought I might as well add the decals now as it's going to need clear coating after all 😒 So I've got them on tonight and will leave them till the weekend to settle down and dry before I gloss over them. 

Still an iconic livery from my early days of watching F1, or Grand prix as it was better known then 😀

20230412_191103

• Like 10

Nearing the chequered flag with this one now :) 

Painted the insides of the cowling and intake semi gloss black, added the chrome parts to the mirrors.

Attach the screen and mirrors to the cowling hopefully tomorrow and put all the bits together :) 

20230418_120421

• Like 10

Calling this one finished now :)

Couple of quick snaps and I'll take some proper photos (and for the Lotus 99T) and load them into the gallery with a bit more of a write up

Thanks for the comments and supports along the way

Built oob except for sponsorship and tyre decals which are aftermarket as they weren't included

Turned out not too shabby for a kit first released 46 years ago (although this was a later boxing, but same mouldings, just new decals) :) 

Ian :) 

20230419_120303

20230419_120249

• Like 18

• Redstaff changed the title to +++FINISHED+++ McClaren M23 James Hunt
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...