Japanese Kaiten K.10 Mini Submarine 1:35

After someone piqued my interest in miniature submarines, I picked up one of these in my AFV scale of choice, 1:35, as it's a convenient scale for ships/boats/subs of this size, and also matches the scale of my MTB 77 and S-100 from Italeri, but it accidentally started me on a bit of mental splurge, so I now have around 8 mini-subs, and one not-so-mini-sub :phew: I've been working on this one on and off for about a month or so now, with the first job getting the kit knocked into shape, making a few adjustments to the conning tower, mainly because I wanted to and there's a few pictures of one with the same shape in a museum, but mostly because I like mucking about with plastic.  it took some kicking into shape, then the next goal was to paint it without rendering it a toy-like black tube, which I can imagine is always a clear and present danger with subs.  Another first for me was adding a base to a model, and as I don't like brass, I had to make my own supports, and once I'd fitted the sub to it, it really really wanted me to get a plaque.  So I got a plaque.  here it all is:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I kind of ran out of new angles to take pictures of it at this point, and as it's almost too wee already, there's not much you can do about close-ups, as it's all close-up :shrug: There's a short WIP here if you're interested in seeing how I managed to stuff up anything in particular, or the original shape of the tower's nose ;)

I've still got the Turtle (also from Mikromir) on the go, so I guess I'll have to crack on with that when I've got the occasional moment free to do some modelling.  I enjoyed it all, and I'm going to be doing more in future, so you'll be sort-of stuck with my in Maritime, but I'll try to keep quiet.  There goes the neighbourhood, eh? :rolleyes:

• Like 17

Minisubmarines! Interesting subject. Please if you make another one in 1/35 scale, add some figures nearby. This way the casual observer will realize it's a minisubmarine. And how was the pilot supposed to drive this ? I mean was he on a sitting position, I don't think so.... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, moondrome said:

Please if you make another one in 1/35 scale, add some figures nearby.

That had occurred to me too, but I didn't bother looking until after you mentioned it. :doh: I've picked up a couple of Aerobonus Kaiten sailors, which happen to have a choice of heads, but as they've got their arms up as if they're looking out of the hatch, I'll need to do a little surgery to the arms to get them hanging down to their sides.  I picked up two, as I've got another Kaiten in mind while I'm still on a minisub kick :nerd:

• Like 1

Gidday Mike, well I've arrived, and well worth the trip. 🙂 It looks very good, and educational too. Until I read your WIP thread I always assumed that being human torpedoes they'd be fired from the tubes, with me having absolutely no idea how the crewman could see to steer it. To me it's a cross between a mini sub and a torpedo. A mini sub due to the nature of the craft, and a torpedo due to the nature of it's mission and method of attack.

Either way, it's well done. Regards, Jeff.

I really enjoyed the WIP for this build.

Really great results.

So very far from a black toy tube that I think you should be very proud of the results.

Curious to see what you will do with the other subs that seem to have accidentally fallen into your stash now.....keep us posted please.

2 hours ago, moondrome said:

but it looks like another weird ,crazy invention from ww2.

.   .   .  that managed to disable two battleships, a tanker and a destroyer in a raid on Alexandria in 1941. I think there's a thread here somewhere of one.

@Mike it might make an interesting model to go with your obviously increasing collection. 🙂       Regards, Jeff.

5 hours ago, moondrome said:

@Mike italeri makes the maiale human torpedo in 1:35 with crew. I don't know too much about it, but it looks like another weird ,crazy invention from ww2.  I think I will get one . You got me interested in this minisubmarine thing 😁

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

.   .   .  that managed to disable two battleships, a tanker and a destroyer in a raid on Alexandria in 1941. I think there's a thread here somewhere of one.

@Mike it might make an interesting model to go with your obviously increasing collection. 🙂       Regards, Jeff.

I already have one :D I've also got a Marder, a Molch, a Turtle (already in progress), a Welman, an X-Craft, a Seehund XXVIIB/B5, and while it's not quite a minisub, it's small, an inshore U-Boot Type XXIII, all in 1:35.  I was a bit disappointed that the new Border U-Boot in 1:35 was only the centre section :(

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

I was a bit disappointed that the new Border U-Boot in 1:35 was only the centre section :(

Ah, so a new challenge for you - scratch build the end bits. After you've completed the other builds of course, including the Biber you'll no doubt be getting too. 😁

During the build thread I think we said that we didn't know of any successes of the Kaitens. It seems that they sank three vessels - the T3 tanker USS Mississinewa (what a mouthful), an Infantry Landing Craft and USS Underhill DE-682. They also damaged a few others. But these successes were greatly outweighed by their own losses. Still, there's no denying their dedication. You've done a great model of the craft. Maybe I can do one in 1/600 scale? 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

including the Biber you'll no doubt be getting too. 😁

I suspect you know those are a bit OOP at the moment, you tease. <_<

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I suspect you know those are a bit OOP at the moment, you tease. <_<

Gidday, actually I didn't know, it was simply a minisub I knew of that wasn't on your stash list. Sorry if I've opened a wound. Regards, Jeff.

11 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, actually I didn't know, it was simply a minisub I knew of that wasn't on your stash list. Sorry if I've opened a wound. Regards, Jeff.

:lol: no.  It’s just been OOP for a while, so the eBay prices have risen commensurately, as usual.  I never get sad or angry about not being able to get a model, I just forget, and eventually they pop out again, or I find one at a good price. I’ve got enough to be going on with anyway, don’t ya think? ;) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I’ve got enough to be going on with anyway, don’t ya think? ;) 

Enough? Sorry but I don't understand the concept. 😁 But seriously, yeah those on your list should keep you going for a little while. Anyway, I'm distracting you from the Turtle so I'll stop yakking.

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1