'67 Chevy Malibu, A bits box build

Well the weather has perked up a bit, so the manshed was habitable again after lunch.

This one was an ebay spares buy. Less than a tenner I think, but there weren't too many parts.

xAS2aWf.jpg

No floorpan or running gear. But hey, I have the spares boxes and it's to be a restomod, so almost anything goes.

2cm5BCt.jpg

I had a scrap '60's Buick, so that donated a floorpan. I chopped 6mm out of it just aft of the front clip and got the desired wheelbase.

A bit of sanding reduced the width too. The inside piece has been glued to it and has added strength over the cut.

Most of what you see now was done in the odd hours over the past couple of months when I braved the cold out there.

The rear axle and springs I'm using are from the Buick, This afternoon I've widened the axle with lengths of sprue.

I also found a new front set up from, I think, a 'Heavy Chevy' kit I built decades ago that later got reduced to parts.

It's now sitting on it's wheels but the camera batteries gave up. So tune in next time for more.

Thanks for looking, your comments are always welcome. Cheers, Pete

• Like 18

Oooh, this one's right up my street, it'll be a pleasure to watch it proceed.  Spares box raids are always fun, especially when there's 1960s US iron involved and anything goes.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Six97s said:

Watching with interest, but I'm going to be that guy because I have a fondness for Mopars and that is a B-body floorpan. 😬 

Having built and collected a few B-body Mopars, I thought it looked familiar.  But I didn't know enough about GM products to say for certain that it wasn't a '60 Buick.

OOPS! Having caused mayhem I had to check as I still have the body. It was a '64 Dodge. The 'Lone Star Dodge' race car.  Mea Culpa.

Anyway...

Here's a not wonderful picture of the car mocked up on it's wheels

ugkvBO6.jpg

I can't remember where the wheels came from (aside from the spares box) They will be painted another colour though.

Do we like the low profile tyres? I think they make a nice change.

Thanks for looking in and the comments. Pete

• Like 8

Personally I absolutely hate low profile tyres on a muscle car. But in the end, it's your build and the only correct way to build it is the way that appeals to you.

Have to say I'm full of admiration for you taking on a project like this, I think it would just daunt me if I was to try. 👍

• Like 4

TBH I'm with Spiny on the tyres, I don't think they look "right" on 1960/70s iron, but whatever blows your frock up.  That's the joy of a build like this.  🙂

The catsick yellow colour is a real eye-catcher, it's going to make this beastie really stand out.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a bit more done today, no pictures though. Sorry.

I took note of the comment by @keefr22 about the position of the front wheels in the arches.

The razor saw was applied to the front clip and a 1mm slice was added to move the front suspension forward.

Alternate, more period wheels & tyres were tried, as suggested by @Neddy but they looked too big. Not what I wanted.

So we're back with those low profile five spokes again. I fitted it together with white glue and It looks much better now. To me anyway.

I've also shaved the side fender badges and the door handles. More restomod stuff. 

Thanks for dropping by. Have a good one. Pete

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The bits box build is back! I've been doing the odd hour on it here and there. Just nothing much worth reporting.

Well now we have paint (Hycote brand) and pictures. So, are you sitting comfortably?

UeIBBlV.jpg

First off, the engine has changed. This one has carbs that fit through the hole in the bonnet. Always a good thing.

And you can see how the chassis has turned out in it's coat of Ford green. The interior shell is glued in place to add the transmission tunnel.

I widened the wheel arches to fit this shell and have also changed the width of the rear axle a bit with tubes.

vc0dLMO.jpg

The bodyshell and bonnet. The paint has had two coats from the rattle can and just a light polish. I'm chuffed with the shine.

The battery and water bottle have been painted. The quarterlights (vent windows) and wipers have seen the Molotov pen.

I'm leaving the rest of the brightwork body colour, as is seen on a lot of restomods. 

This afternoon I've spent a couple of hours building an exhaust system from spares box bits. Such fun!

Comments and offers of biscuits are always welcome. Have a good week, Pete

• Like 10

I've opened a plain chocolate Kit-Kat in your honour - I couldn't risk posting it so I've eaten it for you.  :evil_laugh:

Lovely paint finish and wholeheartedly approve of the engine change.  Carb trumpets sticking up through the hood is more in keeping with the old-school look I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That's a nice Ford green Pete, which particular Hycote one is it?

Keith, It's Ford Signal Green. (It also says Race green 77 on the can?) bought from the Range in Lincoln for about a fiver.

Easy to use and I like the finish. I forgot to say that I used Hycote white acrylic primer.

• Thanks 1

A quick Sunday update on the chassis. 

zl5XnqC.jpg

It's all finally come together. Orange prop shaft? Why not? The exhausts are cobbled together from what I could find.

The chrome end pipes are repurposed intake trumpets. The whole ensemble hangs from twists of wire.

On the seats I've added the black card you see here to thicken up the headrests and upper sides.

The interior colour will probably be a khaki colour. I discovered today that I don't have the tail lights. So that'll take a bit of pondering :think:

Thanks for looking. Have a good week. Pete

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A quick Sunday update on the chassis. 

zl5XnqC.jpg

It's all finally come together. Orange prop shaft? Why not? The exhausts are cobbled together from what I could find custom crafted to the highest specification from an extensive materials stock.*

*There, I fixed that for you.  :innocent::laugh:

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The chrome end pipes are repurposed intake trumpets. The whole ensemble hangs from twists of wire.

I discovered today that I don't have the tail lights. So that'll take a bit of pondering :think:

Cool!  As previously observed I love this style of plastic crafting.  Great tailpipes and the seats are looking good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The interior colour will probably be a khaki colour. I discovered today that I don't have the tail lights. So that'll take a bit of pondering :think:

Do you have recessed for the tail lights? If so, I'd think the easiest way would be to paint the recess silver, fill with clear resin then paint that with clear red.

• Like 3