Austrian Air Force Draken Black 04

Wings unlevel

Just like there are no kangaroos in Austria, there were no Drakens in Australia unfortunately. But I've always found the aircraft fascinating, so I'm excited for this GB, and thanks @exdraken for the nudge in the chat thread about getting my build thread up!

My victim is a very familiar kit here:

Unboxed dragon

So just posting these shots just to show it is not yet started.

Unboxed dragon

I do like the Hobby 2000 concept of providing masks and Cartograf decals, and I will build the kit with the box art Austrian scheme (it looks like no one else is doing that scheme yet?), and I'm quite fond of Austria after a visit there some years ago.

My only bit of aftermarket will be Eduard's PE set. On that, the Eduard instrument panel pieces suggest the cockpit colour is light grey, and not green as the kit instructions would have you paint it?

Somehow I have three GB builds on the go at the moment, so I won't start this one until at least one of those is finished, but two are very close to being done so I can make a start on my Draken soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing this fantastic looking form take shape!

Gerard (in not so mountainous Australia)

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 4

Hi Gerard,

The Austrian Drakens were refubished D-variant vs the F-variant depicted by Hasegawa.

The cockpit color is different, both guns are present, the auxiliary intakes on the spine are different. And if you plan on doing a post 1992 MK.2 bird, you should also modify the tail tip and tail cone for chaff/flare dispenser.

I'm sure someone will have a link to a good build, detailing all that needs to be done :)

• Like 1

Welcome on my behalf too!

The funny thing about the Hobby2000 Austrian Drakens is the name on the boxtop, if I'm correct :hmmm:. The correct name for the Austrian/Österreichische export version is J 35Ö. As some people don't know how to use umlauts as they should, the Ö is then written as OE, which should sound pretty much the same when pronounced. But our Polish friends decided to call it ÖE... That takes nothing away from the quality of their product, but is kind of funny if I have understood it correctly :whistle: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Hi Gerard,

The Austrian Drakens were refubished D-variant vs the F-variant depicted by Hasegawa.

The cockpit color is different, both guns are present, the auxiliary intakes on the spine are different. And if you plan on doing a post 1992 MK.2 bird, you should also modify the tail tip and tail cone for chaff/flare dispenser.

I'm sure someone will have a link to a good build, detailing all that needs to be done :)

indeed, they are Ds with F features, like the late canopy

as there are no large dayglow numbers included, those are definitely rel. early and pre mod., like 1988/1991 as stated 

• Like 1

Hi @cpoud117 and @exdraken, thanks for the info on the Austrian jets. I do like the largo dayglo numbers on the wings, so it’s a shame the H2K boxing is for pre-upgrade aircraft. Nonetheless I’ll try to do the build justice and built as good a representation of an Austrian Draken as my skills and time let me!

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

our Polish friends decided to call it ÖE... That takes nothing away from the quality of their product, but is kind of funny if I have understood it correctly :whistle:

Covering all options?! 😊 As an ignorant English native speaker I missed that discrepancy. And that’s one of the aspects of GBs I love, I’m always learning. And I’m certainly keen to learn more about the Draken.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress to report after making a proper start this weekend:

Internals

Hot end and front end ready to go, lots of parts removed from sprues and cleaned up, etc.

Internals

Cockpit and ejection seat dressed in PE, a little crudely perhaps, but will look pretty good when closed up. (I’m not going to use the radar scope hood included in the PE set, too fiddly to fit and I think it’s a bit too big looking at photos - the kit piece looks even worse.) Thanks to Werner for the walk around links, they were very helpful for getting the colours reasonably accurate!

Glad to have started!

• Like 4

Some more progress today (I have a few days off work). I tried to replicate the faded/peeling fibreglass material in the intakes, with a green base coat and misting on silver on top. Sort of worked.

Assembled

But now the airframe is buttoned up, you can’t see much at a.when you look down the intakes (which is my excuse for not following AW’s and Adrian’s lead in fashioning some intake trunking.

Assembled

Looks like a Draken! Well, it looks like a Draken with some gaps to fill and spills to clean up. Nothing drastic, but I wasn’t on my game today. I had a COVID booster shot yesterday and just felt a little meh today. At least that’s my excuse for knocking over my bottle of lacquer thinner, spilling some onto the rhs wing tip (which hadn’t been attached at that point) so it did some surface damage to the plastic, but nothing a little it of sanding back won’t fix.

A little more consequential, I didn’t align the top and bottom fuselage halves when glueing them together, so there were small overhangs/lips both at the nose, which was easy enough to sand away, and at the rear end, where the exhaust attached, which wasn’t really easily findable.

Assembled

So I have a bit of a gap to clean up. Nothing that’s not manageable, but hopefully other Has/H2K builders can learn from my mistake!

That aside, I’m very happy to see this take shape. Sixty years after it was designed, it still has a beautiful, futuristic shape!

• Like 3

• Wings unlevel changed the title to Austrian Air Force Draken Black 04
14 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

WIW I found attaching the rear end a bit of a trial too, so it might not be you...

I think I had a role in it! But maybe the locating pins for the two fuselage halves don’t align them perfectly either? 🤔

• Like 1

Got the primary base coat colours on.

Paint on

I’m very happy with the colours, but a little less so with the amount of touch ups I can see that will need doing.

Paint on

It’ll take just a little longer, but I can see a good looking Draken emerging!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, exdraken said:

great colors!

may I ask....? ;)

Thanks Werner, do they look okay to you?

I posted in the reference thread about to colours I used/reference I found, as I wasn’t sure about the kit instructions’ recommendations:

Do you also know if the little air intakes on the spine (behind the canopy) are correct for an Austrian Draken? The instructions said to fit them but they don’t appear in any photos I’ve seen of Austrian Drakens. 🤔

Thought I’d be done by now. I did most of the detail painting during the week when I noticed a ghost seam on the right hand side forward fuselage under the cockpit. 😪

Some Mr Surfacer, sanding and re-priming later I have this sorry looking bird.

Chasing ghosts

Oh well, I had fair few bits to touch up anyway, and I took advantage of the opportunity to clean up a few blemishes, so the final result will be worth the little extra pain!

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 3:52 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Do you also know if the little air intakes on the spine (behind the canopy) are correct for an Austrian Draken? The instructions said to fit them but they don’t appear in any photos I’ve seen of Austrian Drakens. 

Hello WU.
Nope, it's not.

Right side has no scoop but vents. Left side has a short scoop. 

exk006.jpg
Source: https://www.bundesheer.at/archiv/a2002/amadeus/galerie.php?id=1435

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

Right side has no scoop but vents. Left side at a short scoop. 

Perfect, thank you. I thought I was going mad looking at photos where some showed a vent and some an intake! It had not occurred to me that it would be different either side. 

Now I have to think how to replicate that…

But thank you for posting the pic and the explanation.

• 1 month later...

Right, some progress to report, finally. I’ve modified the air scoops (removed the right and cut back the left), cleaned up the scar where the right scoop was, and touched up the paint.

Painted again

A few little touch ups to go (despite detacking my masking tape it removed a few chips) and I can apply a gloss coat and get on to decaling. Hopeful of finishing this by the deadline. 🤞

• Like 2

This is looking good. Even though I bought this kit to do the Finnish option, I can see me needing another Draken kit to do this Austrian one as well, you're making it look very good. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking good. Even though I bought this kit to do the Finnish option, I can see me needing another Draken kit to do this Austrian one as well, you're making it look very good. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, just some bloody annoying paint chips that came off the nose to fix up!

• Like 1

Decals are on.

Deals

The kit decals are printed by Cartograf. They were very easy to apply and behaved beautifully. I thought they may have been just a little thicker than other Cartograf decals I’ve used though? Will see how they settle down overnight after a few applications of Micro Set.

But they look terrific and have really brought the model to life I think.

• Like 2

Got the undercarriage on today - thanks to @Bjorn’s tip in the reference thread, we have green painted oleos.

Nearly done

And then a wash with Mr Weathering Color multi-grey. I figure my Draken as modelled was fairly recently delivered in 1988 so wouldn’t be too weathered. The multi grey should give it just a little grimy texture.

Nearly done

I cleaned it up after this photo and will let it dry overnight. Then finishing touches and a matt coat tomorrow night and we can land in the gallery. 🤞

• Like 2

Stumbled at the last hurdle and won’t make the gallery unfortunately. I’d nearly finished matt coating when somehow I’ve knocked my airbrush and spilt great big drops of Mr Color GX113 over the nose of the model. 😩 (Yes someone was airbrushing without the lid on the airbrush cup…)

Oops

Repairable, and I’ve already begun to sand it back, but not in time before the GB ends, unfortunately. Will post some pics here when it’s finished.

Frustrating as I was pretty happy with how this was turning out. But thems the breaks! :wacko:

• Sad 2