Roden 1/144 scale Boeing 720

The Boeing 720 was introduced in July 1957 as a derivative of the Boeing 707 for shorter connections and shorter runways. The first 720 flew in November 1959 and it entered service with United Airlines in July,1960. A total of 154 planes were built until 1967. The 720 plane had rather low development costs which allowed profitability despite fewer sales.

The 720 was 2.54 metres shorter than the 707, it had a a modified wing and a lightened airframe for a lower maximum takeoff weight. The initial 720’s were powered by P&W JT3C-7 turbojets and the plane would cover a range of 5,200 km with 116 passengers in two classes.

I built my 1/144 scale Boeing 720 from a good quality and well detailed Roden kit, The fit of the parts was good and there was only some sanding and filling to be done. Despite the overall positive quality of the kit there was an unfortunate error i.e. the engines were clearly out of scale (the length was 5 mm. longer and the hight some 2 mm. bigger than the correct 1/144 scale dimensions). Therefore I decided to buy the JT3C-7 resin engines from Authentic Airliners, instead.

The kit had decals for United Airlines’ livery. However, I decided to get me the more detailed and colourwise better Vintage Flyer Decals for the same scheme. The cockpit windows and the vortex generators are from Authentic Airliner decals. I also added the pitot tubes, the antennas and the beacons that I found from my spares box.

I painted the fuselage white with Tamiya Fine Surface primer and sprayed it then with Tamiya rattle can clear gloss varnish. The metal areas were first covered with Tamiya gloss black spray and then airbrushed with Alclad aluminium.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

My goodness, you built the exact model I want.  Roden, with Authentic Airliner engines and Vintage decals.  Amazing workmanship.  How hard was it to adapt the AA engines to the Roden kit?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ad-4N said:

My goodness, you built the exact model I want.  Roden, with Authentic Airliner engines and Vintage decals.  Amazing workmanship.  How hard was it to adapt the AA engines to the Roden kit?  

Thank you!

Well, with some sanding it was quite easy to attach the pylons to the underside of the wings but joining them flush to the extentions on the upper side of the wings was a bit tricky. With putty and sanding smooth the joining can be done!

Cheers 

Einar

Edited by Einar

2 hours ago, Einar said:

Thank you!

Well, with some sanding it was quite easy to attach the pylons to the underside of the wings but joining them flush to the extentions on the upper side of the wings was a bit tricky. With putty and sanding smooth the joining can be done!

Cheers 

Einar

Hmmmm..... this seems so..... Familliar.

JT3D-22

JT3D-2

Maigret-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful work! I'm old enough to remember seeing 720s at the airport in Denver.

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful work! I'm old enough to remember seeing 720s at the airport in Denver.

Thank you!

It's nice to hear that you have seen the 720 with your own eyes.

Cheers,

Einar

11 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

That is stunning! 

Thanks Arthur!

Einar

11 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Beautiful and Brilliant all in one! 

The finish is sublime and shows off the 720 to perfection. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

Thank you Kevin!

Einar

11 hours ago, David H said:

Hmmmm..... this seems so..... Familliar.

JT3D-22

JT3D-2

Maigret-1

Thanks for showing us the joining process :)

Cheers

Einar

11 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

WOW!!!!! :gobsmacked:  The lines between colors are precise and perfect.  A flawless and accurate representation of the little known 720. :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David H said:

Snarky comments aside, its a beautiful build. Easily the nicest United 720 i've seen so far.

I hope my Irish International 720 looks half as good as yours.

-d-

Thanks David!

I wish you the best of luck with your Irish International 720!

Cheers,

Einar

11 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Lovely work. The giant United writing on the wing is very amusing, wonder who that is for? Other pilots as they pass over the top?

Thanks Tim,

Yes, it's a good point, for whom the United on the wing is for.....for the passengers on the left side of the cabin..? :)

Cheers,

Einar

10 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Beautiful as always Einar. Thanks for the tip about the AA engines - they look great on the finished model.

Dave G

Thanks Dave,

Einar

9 hours ago, AlxBNE said:

Amazing work in a tiny scale.

Lovely result.

Thank you,

Einar

8 hours ago, stringbag said:

That's superb Einar.  The issue with the overwing joint on the pylons is the same on the 720B kit as well but easily sorted out as you say.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

Thanks Chris!

Einar