Kit stashes - an investigation ๐Ÿค“

Keeff

I use Scalemates to keep track of what's in my stash:

ย 

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=80289&p=stash

ย 

I also use a spreadsheet that shows dates what I paid, when I built (yeah, that's a thing, apparently) them, who gave them to me etc.

• Like 3

Too many, 400+ and I like large scales. Only about a dozen or so 1/72, but about 150 1/32 & 1/24th.ย 

I must admit as the years roll on they have now become a worry rather than a pleasure to own, I too need to do some serious thinning.

Trouble is I keep on buying the bloody thingsย ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of something referred to as a 'stash' that may or may not be in my posession, however the number 491 may or may not be involved....

ย 

....just in case the other half sees this.

ย 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Mine is somewhere between 225 and 260. of which 45 are vacs, 9 space/scifi,4 currently on the bench16 to restore, 139 aircraft, 40 built in storage. all 1/48. 7 ships,in 1/72, and 85 built on the shelf or ceiling depending on size. Slowly but surely whittling the numbers down. GB's have been great for that.:hmmm:ย But I do need to do a proper inventory

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keeff said:

So, I've noticed in many threads, references to 'my/the stash'ย 

I'll confess that in my loft is a Verlinden Production pillbox, one Italeri and one Matchbox/AMT fire appliance, a Tamiya SAS Jeep, a Panther tank and a figure set.ย 

ย 

Oh, there is one kit on the operating table that I'm working on.ย 

ย 

Does my massive collection of 6 kitsย  constitute a stash?ย 

ย 

If not, how many kits would I need to be in 'Stash Club'?ย 

ย 

Who has the largest stash here? (That you're willing to fess up to!)ย 

ย 

So many questions but hopefully a fun topic!ย 

ย 

Keith ๐Ÿ˜ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

The first rule of Stash Club is.... you don't talk about Stash Club.ย  Unless other half is out of earshot, in which case you tell EVERYBODY about Stash Club :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The last time I did an update, Mein Stasheย was at 385 counted and spreadsheeted (that doesn't count Shelf of Doom inmates, which are a whole 'nother kettle of worms entirely). That was 3 years ago... With the incomings considerably exceeding the outgoings, I'd guess it's somewhere past 500 again. Which is a figure well past SABLE, as I average about 1 build every 18 months. Depressing, isn't it?ย 

ย 

Thankfully, it's nearly time for our local, annual show, so with luck I can cull the herd a bit at the swap meet. The ultimate aim is to have just the one I'm building, plus one in reserve. Wish me luck...ย 

• Haha 1

Don't know a figure, but it's far, far, FAR too many! Not helped by a variety of brainfarts, e.g. to build a 1:72 model of every F.27 colour scheme used in Australia or New Zealand - that's meant an accumulation of 38 Airfix and Esci kits thus far. Having just passed the age of 76, the realisation is starting to sink in that I may not get to build everything in the stash before Binkie comes to collect me, so I'd better start culling. Doesn't stop me buying new stuff, though ...

• Like 4

Excluding sold kits, my stash, according to my extensive and generally accurate spreadsheet, also known as 'The List', is around 750 kits, mainly 1/72nd scale, and almost all aeroplanes. Just as the crazy gun company heiress in California who felt that she could never die as long as she kept building on to her house, I believe, as foretold in ancient Norse prophecy, that I will never die as long as I continue buying kits. Or something like that... Well, it's worked so far.

ย 

Best Regards,

ย 

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor change.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

My stash is 8 1/32 kits and even when over the years I built 1/72 then 1/48 I never really had a big to-do list. I tend to have ideas and my go to is predominantly ebay. I'll put kits in the watch and then sit on it. If I want it I'll bid but mostly I'll forget about it, which shows me I probably wouldn't have built it. Boring I know, but it works for me.

ย 

*viggen, 2 x Tornadoes, Lynx, Buccaneer, Mi-24, 2 x Hawks and a Hunter.

ย 

Stash Club. Some of them of been there so long that they've hatched :)

ย 

ย 

IMG20230325062233

ย 

ย 

Stash Club also has a waiting list.....

IMG20230325063852

ย 

ย 

... and a "too big to build" section.....

ย 

IMG20230325063832

ย 

ย 

... and a "... quick, hide these if Mr Zelenskey visits !" section.......

ย 

IMG20230325062124

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 5

Iโ€™ve a 10โ€™ sea container full of (mainly) 1/72 kits. Now, this may sound excessive but itโ€™s progress - Iโ€™ve downsized from a 20โ€™ container. This of course does not include the stuff here at home

ย 

SDย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

About 25 kits in the 'available for public viewing' stash, and I guess another 150 kits in areas of the garage and loft where Mrs PLC1966 does not tread.ย 

ย 

I built one Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost last year๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Iโ€™ve a 10โ€™ sea container full of (mainly) 1/72 kits. Now, this may sound excessive but itโ€™s progress - Iโ€™ve downsized from a 20โ€™ container. This of course does not include the stuff here at home

ย 

SDย 

That's not a stash .... more of a warehouse!! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

48 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

About 25 kits in the 'available for public viewing' stash, and I guess another 150 kits in areas of the garage and loft where Mrs PLC1966 does not tread.ย 

ย 

I built one Airfix 1/72 Jet Provost last year๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Ah, the multi-stash approach .... sneaky!ย  ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Keith ๐Ÿ˜ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

230 in the unmade stash - 80 completed models in the display cabinets. During mid-life - when family priorities dominated - I did next to no modelling but would grab a bargain if I saw one and stash it away. Many kits in the stash are now unobtainium and were acquired at a very low cost compared to current pricing. But sometimes I'm left thinking that I'm really a 'kit collector' rather than a modeller. C'est la vie ...

A bit different to many here, my stash total is zero.ย 

ย 

I do love the look of piles of models TBH but it usually goes like this - Iย  see something I fancy, build it up, it gets covered in dust and gradually ends up in the plastic recycling.

ย 

I shall no doubt build up the stash once the boot sales open up again though. I once had six!!!ย 

• Like 3

A rough guess , I believe I have around 300 or so kits in my stash.

ย 

... and about 25 pounds of spare parts/broken kits.

ย 

...and, 3 full tubs of

Strip wood...

Brass sheets and tubing...

Plastistruct, Evergreen H columns, rod tubing ect .

ย 

ย 

... AND,ย  ... Around 400 decal sheets.

ย 

No! I DONT NEED HELP! ... OR THERAPY ..... do I ???

ย 

ย 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Little Timmy said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

No, not at all ....... ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

I would guess I've got about 150 unmade kits.ย  I used to have many more, but I imposed a do not buy a kit until you have made/sold/donated/junked two kits rule.ย  That's been quite effective as it allows me to still be bedazzled by something new, while focusing on a slow reduction and being realistic about what I am not going to make. It's been quite beneficial as I no longer have a compulsive urge to buy kits.

• Like 4

I've just had to tally all mine up for insurance purposes. So a series of simple spreadsheets to do the job. One for each large manufacturer (Airfix, Revell, etc) and one for smaller quantities of manufacturer. I've also done a separate sheet for any aftermarket that I have... Which truth be told isn't much, just masking sets or decal sheets. I'm not into etch and resin personally, can't see the point in the extra cost, unless it is included in the actual kit. That's just my viewpoint, as I don't work, I can't afford the extra costs so don't see the point in paying out what I can't afford anyway!ย 

Building wise... In the past I've averaged maybe 15-20 builds per year, but over the last 3 or 4 that has slowed down considerably. In the last 15 months I've managed almost 0, due to various reasons including my own mental health. However, now back at the bench, and completing my 3rd for the year, an Airfix Whitley MK.V. Airframe is complete, and is about to get a coat of primer.

• Like 7

On 3/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, Little Timmy said:

A rough guess , I believe I have around 300 or so kits in my stash.

ย 

... and about 25 pounds of spare parts/broken kits.

ย 

...and, 3 full tubs of

Strip wood...

Brass sheets and tubing...

Plastistruct, Evergreen H columns, rod tubing ect .

ย 

ย 

... AND,ย  ... Around 400 decal sheets.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Sounds perfectly normal to me ...

• Confused 1