Kit stashes - an investigation 🤓

Keeff

So, I've noticed in many threads, references to 'my/the stash' 

I'll confess that in my loft is a Verlinden Production pillbox, one Italeri and one Matchbox/AMT fire appliance, a Tamiya SAS Jeep, a Panther tank and a figure set. 

Oh, there is one kit on the operating table that I'm working on. 

Does my massive collection of 6 kits  constitute a stash? 

If not, how many kits would I need to be in 'Stash Club'? 

Who has the largest stash here? (That you're willing to fess up to!) 

So many questions but hopefully a fun topic! 

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Seriously,I have about 30-40,I think I can build these,but in reality I probably build about 6 a year,but I probably add about that many also each year,so I'm running in place.

I'm not an impulse buyer,but there's always something new and interesting.Some have stashes of hundreds,even thousands,makes no sense to me but thats just me.My modest stash already stresses me !!!

Edited by Tojo72
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Keeff said:

So, I've noticed in many threads, references to 'my/the stash' 

I'll confess that in my loft is a Verlinden Production pillbox, one Italeri and one Matchbox/AMT fire appliance, a Tamiya SAS Jeep, a Panther tank and a figure set. 

Oh, there is one kit on the operating table that I'm working on. 

Does my massive collection of 6 kits  constitute a stash? 

If not, how many kits would I need to be in 'Stash Club'? 

Who has the largest stash here? (That you're willing to fess up to!) 

So many questions but hopefully a fun topic! 

Keith 😁 

3/10, must try harder.  Report to the Hannants Web site after work for further education.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Six months ago I had 540+ kits in my stash but since then I have sold hundreds of them and now have less than 230. In the same period I have made a total of five kits!

Dave

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

This is fortuitous – I was just thinking this morning that I need to thin-out the stash. Now well into my “bus pass” years, I have to accept many kits will never be built (at least not by me) and could well be chucked in a skip when the time comes. Of course, I could flog them one-by-one on e-Bay, but that’s probably more hassle that it’s worth.

So, I’m looking for a reliable dealer in second-hand kits (mostly 1:48 aircraft, but a few 350/400 scale ships as well) who will take them off my hands for a reasonable price. Preferably somebody based north of Manchester and south of Glasgow, so I can load the boxes into the back of the car and deliver.

Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, The Turf Burner said:

This is fortuitous – I was just thinking this morning that I need to thin-out the stash. Now well into my “bus pass” years, I have to accept many kits will never be built (at least not by me) and could well be chucked in a skip when the time comes. Of course, I could flog them one-by-one on e-Bay, but that’s probably more hassle that it’s worth.

So, I’m looking for a reliable dealer in second-hand kits (mostly 1:48 aircraft, but a few 350/400 scale ships as well) who will take them off my hands for a reasonable price. Preferably somebody based north of Manchester and south of Glasgow, so I can load the boxes into the back of the car and deliver.

Any thoughts?

Halifax model world are, I understand, reputable and do a regular trade in second hand kits. Best to give them a call first though!

My stash is as follows:

Trumpeter 1/350

USS Nimitz

USS Constelation

USS Sangamon

USS Hancock

6 x E-2C

6 x F-14B/D

6 x S-3

6 x A-6E

6 x F-4J

6 x A-3

6 x EA-6B

6 x C-2

6 x SH-3

6 x AV-8B

Italeri 1/720

USS Saratoga

USS Kitty Hawk

The aircraft come in a box of 6, for the Trumpeter carriers

Star Trek Anniversary Set,

contains 2 x models, USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Original Series

USS Enterprise NCC-1701 Star Trek Beyond

Edited by RAF4EVER
forgot the Starships
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

3/10, must try harder.  Report to the Hannants Web site after work for further education.

No, please ...... don't make me there ..... 😬

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Stash stress is when I go to do some modelling and look at them (700+ not all visible but I know where they all are (except that KP Avia B534 but it is only a tiny box and it will turn up someday)).  Which one today?  Or this one?  Let's have a look at that one.   Put it away and try another...  Getting any actual modelling done is sometimes never achieved, and or at least less than intended.

Life must be much simpler for those with no or very little choice.  But pretty boring.  Do you turn your back on all the magazines and books and websites that are forever offering exciting (ok, not always) new ideas and suggestions?  I know that in the majority of cases I can turn to something already waiting for me.

Could I reduce the stock?  Yes, I keep putting stuff up for sale but they don't always go and it's time that could be spent actually modelling. 

• Like 5

700 kits? Wow!!  😲

I have one kit in build .... a tank with full interior, so plenty to go at, but it's an approach that suits me .... and Mrs K is happy!  

I will confess to looking at 'stuff', buy the occasional magazine and have just ordered track links for the Panther project in waiting along with some supplies, but do manage to resist buying .... unless I get a good price on a 1/16th AFV I have in my sights! 

Keith 😁 

My stash appears to be of paints. I tended to purchase new paints for each kit and never use up the earlier ones. As to kits the actual stash now consists mainly of nostalgia kits and is smaller than my KUTA / shelf of doom kits.

• Like 1

The last time I did a proper kit stash inventory it came to about 370. Since then I have built some, sold some on and bought - ahem - a few :whistle:  Time for an update and a bit of a cull I think.

Then there is the matter of my decal stash which probably runs into four figures.....

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With my rather monomaniacal outlook the "stash" is really two shelves. It currently has 47 unbuilt kits, plus three on the bench. It tends to hover around the 50 mark: as models get built, new kits tend to arrive to fill the gaps.

• Like 1

According to my last inventory spreadsheet I had 1124 unbuilt kits as of 2021

The spreadsheet needs updating as since then I have built a few, sold a few, gave some away but have also bought in several more. 

My stock has its own post code; about 2/3 of the kits are in a rented storage unit several miles away from my flat. The storage unit also holds my boxed built models and several other things such as my spare sewing machines et cetera

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

My stock has its own post code

:laugh:

I think I have about forty odd. Most of them feature in my for sale thread though as I'll never get around to them because. Ooh, Squirrel!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2