Falklands War Sea Harrier FRS.1 being readied for a CAP - HMS Invincible 1982

Sea Harrier FRS.1 ZA175/004 801 Naval Air Squadron HMS Invincible 1982

I started this build last June during the Britmodeller Falklands War 40th Anniversary Group Build.

The 1983 ESCI 1/72 Sea Harrier is still the best and most accurate 1/72 FRS.1 on the market, even after 40 years. Detail and panel lines are as good as anything being made now. But, like most kits, not without the odd challenge.

Having completed the model during the 40th anniversary year I set out to give it a suitable display base, a small portion of the flight deck on HMS Invincible, and some of the deck equipment that would have been seen during the conflict.

A brief summary of what I did, used and modified;

The Sea Harrier;

Scratch built cockpit, HUD etc

Instrument panel - Kits World

Martin Baker Mk.10, Ejection Seat - a modified PJ Productions resin seat.

Pitot tube - Master

Eduard AIM-9L Sidewinders and 1000LB Airburst Bomb

Deck Equipment;

Vickers Mk2 Deck Tractor - Air Graphic Models (heavily modified)

Deck Crew - Air Graphic Models

Pilot - Aerobonus

Ladder, Intake FOD Guards, tool box, tie-down chains, chocks and tow bar - Scratch built

y4mV2HWk-HvT8kWs5Pb-5806oEPLzEV9Zy5o_cvb

y4mJR8XSTBj1FjO6KSNsc1Ph_LDvdt6quZdnFIaP

y4myoJPRg0jqH3XpG9u8d3FxzkRaGLBfaPmGVQkU

y4mO3z_2lpIeLVtZcCwITW7Rk49swkD2Ihfuv6QL

y4mFY1S1dlsB3e5s7wBV3LfHYqQqZIKxVVO6R2yk

y4mk03nkdISzIHxaDjQ6B5sXAbzBXzPeJcQXykRf

y4m-dJl_aj6Qgd7fwQnUjD-m-hnaWoOdSiq_J4AX

y4mvtI7s0MEZa5uF7RRnPAH3aoNhptdLJBitt4Ak

y4m_5h-9kZgfmOiwlwShBTpqTWho93tA5Z2kPwhA

y4m-Tfl1HBhynqNOr0xcR-bJxYq_Qjlhb9GxNVOc

The deck crew, 'Maintainers', wear different coloured tabbards that reflect their various trades;

Yellow - Captain of the Flight Deck & Aircraft Director

Green - Engineering Electrical Trades

Blue - Aircraft Handlers

Red - Ordnance

Vickers Deck Tractor No.1, 81RN81, HMS Invincible, Falklands TEZ, 1982;

y4mzMyEs65P4FFpjKfY2Lf95OEuXRWnUUD0J_tmm

y4mD2lXXldKZiqFYcSa3f5U9teHKBJl5e7Zz8p1X

As she's firmly attached to the deck, the underside is now hidden, but here's photo from the WIP and one of the cockpit;

y4mxXzI6RKd957DqBELTbq3reQB4hQKeSe2pf6hY

y4mblCWvq8adnmIhdP5r_OgNFZ6DnP16HS9PJjEE

For anyone wanting more details about how this went together, the WIP  is here;

I owe a great deal to Nick Greenall and Richard of the IPMS SIG, and all the Britmodellers who encouraged me - Big Thanks!

Cheers!

• Like 63
  • Thanks 1

First, it is a great build and finish of the Harrier.  Second, the diorama you put together for the plane is magnificent.  Really gives the impression of a Harrier being readied for a flight.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

This must be only my 2nd RFI, so didn't know what to expect!

Many thanks everyone for your kind comments. Very glad you like the SHAR and the base, I started the Sea Harrier last June, so this must be my longest ever build.

Have a great weekend all, happy modelling!

• Like 2

Bravo Zulu. An excellent scene. The accessories are as good as the Sea Harrrier. The Deck Tractor modification was well worth it. The towing arm is brilliant. I have really enjoyed it. 

• Thanks 1

Superb. It just needs a figure of Brian Hanrahan, microphone in hand, ready to utter his immortal phrase "I counted them all out and I counted them all back."

It's such a good, evocative  diorama it brought that news report straight back into my mind. 

Richie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichieW said:

It just needs a figure of Brian Hanrahan, microphone in hand, ready to utter his immortal phrase "I counted them all out and I counted them all back."

It's such a good, evocative  diorama it brought that news report straight back into my mind. 

Thanks Richie!

Brian Hanrahan with cameramen Bernard Hesketh and John Jockel and ITN’s Michael Nicholson (all now sadly gone) were also heroes of the conflict.

And thank you all again for your support, reactions, encouragement and kind comments on the build. Certainly makes the time spent seem worthwhile.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Had this kit when it came out, although I never built it I remember it was very nicely moulded, I have done the Airfix FRS1 which is not that bad although has its inaccuracies mentioned in other forums.

• Like 1

In 1/72 scale, the kevel of detail is awesome!  The flight deck and crew put the aircraft in it's natural habitat and do it justice. 👏👏

Keith 😁 

Edited by Keeff
  • Thanks 1