Revell 1:16 scale BMW Isetta 250

As explained in the build thread I have a peculiar fondness for bubble-cars having owned one way back when I was 16, taking advantage of the UK laws existing at the time which decreed that I could drive one at 16 providing I held a full motorcycle licence.  I had more fun in my Heinkel/Trojan 200 than in any car since and this kit is as close as I could get to it.  As is repeated ad nauseam at various points throughout the build I was extremely impressed by the quality of this kit.  Everything went together with a minimum of fettling, fitted first time and lined up perfectly wherever necessary.  The steering linkage under the vehicle works smoothly, as does the peculiar steering column mount which twists through a wide arc on two axes, pivots and slides against the collar holding it to the door and the universal joint on the floor as the door opens and closes - fascinating to watch.

There is a choice of open or closed sunroof and the engine hatch is removable.  All parts are an incredibly close fit straight out of the box which made building it a real pleasure.  The only thing I had to add to it was a windscreen washer bottle which I carved from sprue and fitted to the engine bulkhead to rectify the lack of one - mandatory in the UK at the time.  Other wise it's purely OOB.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finally with the engine cover clipped in...

spacer.png

...and the optional closed sunroof.  It doesn't sit that closely but I have no intention of leaving it there...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png...and finally a peep underneath.

Thanks to those of you who followed the build, I hope you like the result.

• Like 25

Yes, I definitely like the result. Excellent work, and no doubt about it you're making great progress - that might sound like I'm damning with faint praise but I'm not, this has come together what feels like very quickly yet the quality is there too. I partiocularly like the inside.

I know you generally aim for the larger scale cars, but judging by this I don't think 1/24 should hold any fears for you at all.

• Thanks 1

S'funny you should say that @Spiny, I've come to the same conclusion recently and treated myself to a couple of 1:24 scale kits, hopefully not too complex for me now.

Thanks all for your kind words.  Not sure yet what to follow this up with, I'll ponder and browse through my stash - all three kits!

• Like 2

...and one final photo to rectify a cock-up of my own making which might make you chuckle at my expense!  In the initial set above I remarked that the sunroof didn't fit very well in the closed position.  Well, there's a reason for that - I'd sat it on the wrong friggin' way round!  :blush:

This proves it fits as well as all the other parts in this excellent Revell kit, when applied correctly!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Superb! I too saw these and the Messerschmitt's on the road as a lad. I must now look for one of these kits , but have I got room to show it in one of my cabinets?  Just searched, all shops on the web have no stock!

I only saw on the web the other day a new Electric Isetta produced I think in Germany.

• Thanks 1

Sadly you're right.  I missed the boat on new stock but was lucky enough to find a pre-owned one at Kingkit.  Great place to buy kits, the guarantee their pre-owned stock and check each kit to make sure it's complete before offering it for sale.  I've had two from them and they've both been spot-on.

10 hours ago, PatW said:

I only saw on the web the other day a new Electric Isetta produced I think in Germany.

You're right, it's an EV called the Microlino, produced in Switzerland - and I want one!

• 2 weeks later...

This is lovely,  congratulations on a superb model.  Looks great in blue too. We have a two tone Beige and Tan 4 wheeler down the road, he takes it to quite a lot of events , the kids and parents love it.

Great work

Chris

• Like 1