Diavolo Rosso Lombardo – ‘11795’ F-84F-30-RE of the 6 Aerobrigada, Aeronautica Militare It – Airfix 1/72aliano

Hi all,

I am pleased to finally roll out my latest build, in the form of a Republic F-84F-30-RE Thunderstreak. As those who have been patient with me and called by the WIP thread will know, she is depicting one of the earliest F-84Fs of the Aeronautico Militare Italiano (Italian Air Force), serial ‘11795’ of the 156th Gruppo/6th Aerobrigada the “Red Devils”, based at Ghedi AB in northern Italy. The first aircraft were delivered to Italy in 1956 and the Red Devils were the first operator.

My subject:

11795b

Other short finned machines:

As I try to do, I wanted to build something different and that difference in this case is that ‘11795’ was a short-finned machine, as were many. Its a fact that isn’t often acknowledged. Apart from the fin these were standard build machines. The only other small visible difference was the fact that the pitot sat on the intake splitter whereas towards the end of production it was moved to the port wing tip.

My reason to build this was to try to get a more realistic model from currently available kits. I dismissed the Italeri on shape and detail grounds and so was left with the Airfix F-84F offering to ‘play’ with. To support my quest, and having built a couple, I used the Sword RF-84F kit as a spares source. This already has a nice canopy and windscreen as well as other immediately obvious benefits. As I went along, though, Martin @Lightningboy2000, suggested further butchery in the form of inserting better main gear wheel wells. I took these from the RF too. Another laborious challenge was scribing the whole kit. I did do this with panel lining in mind, but more to get it looking more up to date. This took a while and progress can be seen in the WIP (below).

In summary, the changes and tasks to get me to this were as follows:

1.       Widened the forward fuselage

2.       Scribed all over

3.       Shortened the fin

4.       Inserted Sword wheel wells etc

5.       Improved the nose guns with brass tube and inserted blank plates in to these

6.       Improved the cockpit with a selective use of Air Waves PE

7.       Added PE brass speed brakes (Thanks Frank @bentwaters81stTFW)

8.       Made up and fitted shackles for each pylon and fuel pipes for each belly tank

9.       Used a set of Voodoo tanks for the inner wing pylons

10.   Added 500kg bombs on the outer pylons (later removed)

11.   Made modified 5” HVARs for the outer wing tips from Tamiya F-51D parts

12.   Used Sword main gear and wheels, doors, etc

13.   Used a resin seat

14.   Built up the coaming area using card, rod and electrical wire

15.   Improved the nose gear leg

16.   Added latches and a mirror to the canopy, and made new struts from rod

17.   Improved the rear canopy strut too

18.   Improved the dorsal nav light by drilling out a "lamp" within the clear part and then filling than void with metal paint (aluminium).

19.   used the windscreen and canopy from the Sword kit

20.   Built the RATO cradle and bottles from card, sprue and brass tube (Thanks Rob @Rob de Bie)

21.   Thinned the rear glazing 

I must also acknowledge the help of Giorgio @Giorgio N, who drew new codes and serials as well as cutting the mask for the fin, and Mika at Arctic Decals for tolerating my whims and occasional faux pas and produced excellent roundels and red tridents. I had intended to use the Tauro Models decal sets but I found their roundels to have white that was yellowed, their number and lettering is rough upon examination and their trident and badge is wrong. In fact, the only Tauro decal I used was the Red Devil badge but even that is slightly too large! Giorgio also drew and cut the mask for the fin flash for me. A number of other BMers helped me on the way too.

The other addition to the build, and really at the prompting of Frank @bentwaters81tfw, was the build of a RATO cradle and bottles. What she needed, though, was more power for take off! I am indebted to Rob @Rob de Bie for his guidance for this. Finally, thanks for all the encouragement and input from Paolo Maglio of Modelismo Piu. 

Finally it has to be said that it was also one of those builds that seemed to spur a manufacturer in to producing a new mould kit (or at least I like to think so!). As you will all know, there has been a new release and now it looks like Special Hobby have started work on one :).

What else did I do or use?

1.       Kit - Airfix F-84F and Sword RF-84F in 1/72, of course!

2.       Aftermarket – Airwaves PE and Valom F-101 belly tanks

3.       Decals – a mix of Sword RF-84F and Icarus F-84F stencils, Giorgio- and Mika-drawn decals, and a couple of Tauro bits.

4.       Paints – overall Humbrol 27002 Polish Aluminium, 27003 Steel and 191 Stainless Steel, Colourcoats Olive Green, Humbrol Insignia Yellow and others here and there. Finished with Humbrol Satincote. Primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 grey.

5.       Weathering – no panel lining (my current way) but Flory wash to highlight large gaps and detail, Tamiya Weathering powders and a Prismacolor silver pencil.

I hope you like her!

Martin

DSC_1789

DSC_1790

DSC_1792

DSC_1791

DSC_1786

DSC_1787

• Like 71

Lovely job there Martin, certainly a unique build. As an option the inboard tanks can come from an F-105, or a CH-53. Had a poke around my baby last week, and discovered the JATO mounting brackets under the belly. Very simple brackets. Can't wait for the ground to dry out to get lifting gear under her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on getting to the end of this build! That is a spectacular Thunderstreak! Also nice to know there was some involved teamwork to reach the end. Funny how an epic build like this coincides with one new tool & another in the making. Me thinks they've been secretly watching & gathering info. Too much of a coincidence! Even though I've got a couple half done, I really don't think I'll be finishing them now I've got the new kits. Love the extra details like the pylon shackles and your RATO attachments. 

Bravo! 

👏👏👏

Martin 

That's another beauty Martin, really a great model. More impressive considering the kit you started from. The work you put into it really paid off though.

And of course we all have to thank you for having contributed with yout work to the arrival of a new tool kit of this aircraft (actually two..)! The old law of modelling that someone will launch a new tool kit of a subject just as a modeller is finishing a difficult conversion job has been proven right once again 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well done mate, a cracking job as usual and well worth the effort.

As the other Martin (Lightningboy2000) and Giorgio have said, thanks to you we have a new tool of this neglected subject with another on the way.  If that's the result of your efforts can you crack on with that F4U-5 you've been asking about? :whistle:

• Haha 1

Great job. It really looks like a newly tooled kit rather than something first issued in 1974.

I remember when it was released. I bought one first chance I got, 46 years ago😱 

Ah nostalgia.

@Sky Keg @Terry1954 @noelh @giemme @Rabbit Leader @Chrisj2003 @Hopesdaddy @cpoud117 @Pantherhawk27263 @Wez @Giorgio N @Lightningboy2000 @bentwaters81tfw and all the likers out there, thank you for your kind comments. As with many of my builds, she has taken time but I am very pleased with the end result. I’m glad I didn't throw in the towel, as I had considered, when the Sword was announced. I am, of course, pleased that by building this it appears to have piqued the manufacturers interest enough to produce modern kits of this important type. The reality will have been different by I muse myself in the thought that I helped ;). I now hope that the Tamiya D-model Mustang that I have just started will move the Arma Hobby kit over the line!

Martin

• Like 5

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Diavolo Rosso Lombardo – ‘11795’ F-84F-30-RE of the 6 Aerobrigada, Aeronautica Militare Italiano – Airfix 1/72
On 3/25/2023 at 7:42 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

Great job Martin on what is one of my favourite period planes. I like the idea you have of not over emphasizing panel lines, a subject I question on all my builds. 

Thanks mate. My preferred method is to only use washes on movibg sections where the faps are bigger. I do dry brush weathering powders, though.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, stevej60 said:

Superb job Martin,just shows what can be achieved with a vintage kit,great!

Thanks Steve. I had doubts and one point but she turned out as I hoped :)

22 hours ago, Roberto said:

Very nice!

Thanks Roberto

19 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely job Martin, Love the markings with that trident. The gap under the tanks always makes me twitch when I see it.😬

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes, it is a fine between working or being a disaster! 

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is impressive Martin, a beaut job on that collecton of parts. ;)  I'm seeing the attraction in a F/RF-84F GB now. :)

Steve.

Thanks a lot, Martin. I hope to make use of your decals in the STGB

12 hours ago, Ignacio said:

Another stunner my friend!

I've been quiet for a while but I always follow your WIPs.

You make me like these uncommon schemes !

Great model 

Best regards !

Ignacio

Its great to see you calking by, my friend :). Thank you!

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Really fine F-84 Martin !!

Congratulations !!

CC

Thanks a lot, CC :)

Martin

• Like 2