Quitting the hobby.

Paul J

After a lot of self deliberating, I have decided to stop modelling the way I have been and reduce it to the odd one or two now and again. I will be selling off a lot of my kits and decals etc. I just don't have it in me any more yet I have just bought my , what will likely be, final kit. After around 60 plus years I feel its time to rein it in somewhat.  I have 70 plus kits to decide about and may just keep a few to build when those moments come.   I will have lots of part decal sheets  to part with too.  Let alone the many built ,models I have that need to be parted with.

One reason for my semi retirement form the hobby is I just don't seem to be able to complete a decent model anymore and just as I come to the end of what was becoming a satisfying build I go and spoil it somehow and that is annoying to me.  I just don't have it in me any more.

So if any one has the time or wishes to check out my for sale list or  have a want I have not listed please PM me.

I will still loiter here on BM and post pics of my past builds time to time and comment etc as normal. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Hi Paul,

I am coming up to 75 years of age and I know what you mean, about not being able to complete a decent model nowadays.  I start a kit with the full enthusiasm to make it a good one, only to find my eyesight and dexterity prevents me from just getting the finish right.  It hasn't stopped my building models, I am just a bit more pragmatic on expectations; mainly just building kits for the fun of it.  I can always hide my mistakes with 'weathering'!

Don't give up matey, just do what you want and when you want to and; of course, definitely don't stop loitering and contributing when you can.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 5

Don't give up Paul, take a break yes, but don't do anything drastic.

By all means thin out some of your stash, we've all got too many kits if we're being honest!

I'll be hitting 68 this year. My arthritis in my knees and hips together constant lower back pain mean that the extended modelling sessions are a thing of the past, but an hour here and there is fine. My eyesight means the use of three pairs of glasses for driving, for reading and for modelling and it's a pain in the bum when the pair I need isn't at hand.  

I had always had great expectations of building up and displaying a huge collection of British military aircraft. I managed to build up a huge collection of kits, getting them built just didn't happen.

I only managed to complete 9 models last year, but I no longer set targets or goals now and I enjoy what I'm doing all the more.

Thinning out your collection of kits and part used transfer sheets may lighten your spirits.

Keep your chin up Sunshine.

Chris.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about your decision, but fully understand your reasoning. If you are simply not enjoying the finished result (or are abandoning your builds part-way through), then it is ultimately better to acknowledge the feelings. 

Still, it's always sad to hear of someone quitting the hobby. Maybe it's better to dwell on all the builds which brought you a lot of pleasure in the past. 

Good luck to you, Sir.

Chris.  

• Like 2

It's a shame that you've reached this decision, but like others, I understand.

As one that has returned to the hobby in the last couple of years, I decided to sell most of my kits that had been in storage for 20+ years as I realised that they won't get built.  I discovered some were quite valuable afterwards, but hey-ho. 

Perhaps consider keeping a few kits and do what you can .... we all build in our own way to our own standards.  

Whatever you do, I wish you well.

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:00 PM, Paul J said:

After a lot of self deliberating, I have decided to stop modelling the way I have been and reduce it to the odd one or two now and again. I will be selling off a lot of my kits and decals etc. I just don't have it in me any more yet I have just bought my , what will likely be, final kit. After around 60 plus years I feel its time to rein it in somewhat.  I have 70 plus kits to decide about and may just keep a few to build when those moments come.   I will have lots of part decal sheets  to part with too.  Let alone the many built ,models I have that need to be parted with.

One reason for my semi retirement form the hobby is I just don't seem to be able to complete a decent model anymore and just as I come to the end of what was becoming a satisfying build I go and spoil it somehow and that is annoying to me.  I just don't have it in me any more.

So if any one has the time or wishes to check out my for sale list or  have a want I have not listed please PM me.

I will still loiter here on BM and post pics of my past builds time to time and comment etc as normal. 

"I just don't seem to be able to complete a decent model anymore"  I get this way too, Its a symptom of the internet and some of the fab models you see everynow and then, you pull out a kit, Look up the net and super modeller Sam has all the bells and whistles in his and you go , Errra I choose something else.

In the end I just go with what I am happy with and dont bother with loads of expensive add ons etc as most of the stuff is stored away 99% of the year as we have only one show a year where I live.

I also dabble in Trains and RC Aircraft so when I need a break I fall into those hobbys

Sometimes a break is all you need!

• Like 3

Well if it's not fun anymore,not fulfilling,then it's not a hobby,maybe time to pack it in,why force yourself to do something your not enjoying.

I would only say hang on to your tools paints,supplies,and kits.It might hit you again in the future.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Paul,

It can be a frustrating hobby for sure. The incredibly high standards of some models here on Britmodeller can be both inspiring and demoralising!

So 'After around 60 plus years' you're probably a bit like me (and many others), getting older and finding modelling harder, just seeing the things is difficult! I got myself some strong reading glasses and an Optivisor which (as the person here on BM said) really does give you teenage eyes again!

Maybe set your sights a bit lower and relax with simpler kits and less ambitious builds?

Best wishes for the future whatever your decision.

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paul ... I've decided to quit from the hobby at least 4 times in my life, never say never, have a wee think of things but keep your stash, your gear, air brush, compressor ETC ... you never know, you may change your mind.

Good Luck

• Like 4

I am 69 and had a stroke a few years back that affected my ability to process some visual and written data. This has largely been overcome, although I still get tired from reading for any length of time. After that wake up call, I model want I want and even GB stuff is from the stash, and what I fancied building.

I also have long since accepted my limitations as a modeller, and that enables me to enjoy what I am doing. It is very easy to overthink what you are doing. I'll know when to stop. When they nail the lid on, or when I stop liking it. You have explained your reasons and I can see where you are coming from and do best of luck for the future. I hope you can still find the desire and energy to turn out out the odd model. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the support and encouragement either way. I'll pop in time to time with pics of past builds and maybe there will be a new build or two on the odd occasion. See you all around. And maybe at a couple of shows. I'll be at the Southdowns one and the Hailsham show  as  a sort of 'farewell tour'.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Paul; I mean, wow... :hmmm:

Because I've always thought of those "complicated" builds (e.g., the Trumpy 1/48 Su-24 with the plethora of Komplekt Zip deal; Monogram B-29A with a lot of correction bits; Aeroclub Vulcan with the many upgrade parts; Italeri C-130E with everything Attack Squadron had to better it; Monogram B-17G and many more kits, all of them in the same scale) that I've got now in the stash for after I retire, in say... 35 more years when I'm 65?

I sort of understand your decision, but it's kind of given my thoughts another new perspective, all of the sudden. :rofl2: <--- that's nervous laughter.

Don't give up the hobby, chap.

Cheers,

Igna

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Its time to update you all with my modelling time. After a bit of a comeback with one in progress in the DH GB, I am finding it increasingly hard to handle any models to build or repair. My condition won't go away and it seems to be getting a tad worse and really getting to me right now with my right had not being steady enough and because of this, my current build is not coming together as well as I was hoping.  Just to add to all this a couple members of my relatives have passed bringing home to me the hard facts that we are not all immortal and getting uncomfortably close. It is making me feel uncomfortable and making me realise that I have to make moves in parting with a lot of my stuff while I can.  

In my For Sale listing are just some items I am wanting to part with with more to come. But I will not be making anymore models except maybe when I have good days. I'll still frequent these columns with comments etc just to keep in the loop. 

So if any one out there has something you  are after that goes back some years either kits or decals or other printed works, please give  me a shout via  this thread or PM.   I am not trying yo get around the For Sale rules or anything like that, I am just wanting my things to go to a good home.

Thank YOU!

• Sad 4

Hi Paul, 

I'm so sorry to read of the sad loss of some of your relatives and that you feel that your condition has taken a downturn. 

You'll be doing the right thing by keeping on posting here on BM and I'll certainly look forward to reading your comments.

You say that you'll still carry on with the hobby when have good days. That is certainly something to cling to and look forward to.

In the meantime, I wish you well and look forward to your future posts and any RFIs you may refer us to.

Good luck.

Chris.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cngaero said:

Hi Paul, 

I'm so sorry to read of the sad loss of some of your relatives and that you feel that your condition has taken a downturn. 

You'll be doing the right thing by keeping on posting here on BM and I'll certainly look forward to reading your comments.

You say that you'll still carry on with the hobby when have good days. That is certainly something to cling to and look forward to.

In the meantime, I wish you well and look forward to your future posts and any RFIs you may refer us to.

Good luck.

Chris.

Thanks Chris  and to others.  What I tried to explain is I just unable to manage to get the builds right any more. When I look back at some of my older builds and compare with the newest ones, the new ones are just not to my standards and I can't justify making any more new ones or better the older ones any longer. So , as tempting  the new kits coming are, if I was to get one they would end up being rubbish. The building isn't too much of a problem , its the finishing like painting and decalling, my favourite stages, that will mar any efforts I put in to the kits.

My future posts will be  mainly pics of my much older builds, a lot that I have not shown before. That is the best I will be able to offer.   

Cheers for now,.

• Like 4

On 23/03/2023 at 13:41, cngaero said:

Thinning out your collection of kits and part used transfer sheets may lighten your spirits.

Keep your chin up Sunshine.

Chris.

If only I could get a couple queries  or buyers responding to my listing  it would be good. But no Bites for ages. Despite trying other outlets too

Hello Paul,

I only just found this thread after looking at your DH  89 Rapide photos of your build where you mentioned it was your last build post.

I now understand  why you have resigned to making this decision and I think what you decided is for you the best way forward.

I am sorry to hear that you have lost people you loved and that can affect us all in different ways.

:(

You must do what is right for you and your health  and if giving up building models after 60 plus years is going to make you less stressed, and  not worried about the finishes etcetera; then Good For you Sir. 

Paul you can still enjoy the "Hobby" by going to shows and watching others build, and giving them your support and help out with  impressive knowledge  you have achieved. 

:thumbsup:

And remember  you must have built some fine superb builds you can be proud of.

:clap:  { I look forward to your past builds in RFI}.

Best of Luck  in all that you do and just Enjoy life. 

:worthy:

And Remember  Navy Seal philosophy :  YESTERDAY WAS AN EADY DAY ".

From now on all your days will be easy and Insha-Allah { God willing} they will be full of smiling   happy days too.

Sir  look after yourself and start to Enjoy your time. 

HOUSTON. 

6 minutes ago, Paul J said:

If only I could get a couple queries  or buyers responding to my listing  it would be good. But no Bites for ages. Despite trying other outlets too.

Sir  do you have a link to your listing?

And with your permission  may I copy this thread and your sale link and post it on LSM where there a few English Members ...

thank you.

2 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Sir  do you have a link to your listing?

And with your permission  may I copy this thread and your sale link and post it on LSM where there a few English Members ...

thank you.

Hi. Possibly. What is LSM? My list is in the for sale column.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hi. Possibly. What is LSM? My list is in the for sale column.

Large Scale Modeller Forum ..similar to BM where folks build all sorts of scale models etc...

I have posted the threads to generate interest...

There are British members as well as Canadian, Americans , Australians  etc..

I hope you will not mind but copied the Quitting thread and the Sale thread ... 

Fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

@HOUSTON you cannot access this area of the forum as a guest. You must be a member,  and you must have the 100 post minimum, so posting elsewhere and giving the link back will not work. The rule/access is there to stop any 'bad actors' to use the modern parlance from ripping off members selling or buying on BM. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Houston,

I think Treker_ed means that anyone on LSM who reads your message will not be able to access Paul's thread on BM.  Not unless they are members with 100 posts.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1