Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Westminster - Type 23 Frigate

@Terry1954 @mick @beefy66 @Faraway Cheers guys..

It is the case of three steps forward, two steps back. Before mounting the structures, I thought I'd get the decals on the hull first but I must have put the gloss coat on to thick as the coat wrinkled. So, once dry, most of the hull and the aft deck were sanded back and now undergoing a repaint :weep:.

Stuart

• Sad 6

Post repaint...

20230426-102626.jpg

The paint rework was not my best, particularly when seen up close, good enough for government work though, so on with the decals.

20230426-102441.jpg

Flight deck decals on too. The decals are nice and thin and go on nicely. The offset LZ plays with my brain a bit...

20230426-104507.jpg

Moving on. Not something that I wanted to do at this stage but the foremast had to be fitted so I could form the SCOT platform railings. Side railings also done as well as fitting of various bits.

Stuart

• Like 10

Very impressed.

Post repaint it looks very good.

That offset LZ would play with my brain to, if my brain was one that could actually consider all that delicate PE in 1/700 scale.

Happily it isn't!....so I can enjoy your work with out the offset causing me any stress.

I wonder how the helicopter pilots on the real ship handled the offset? In my experience helicopter pilots are a special breed and the idea of anything associated with a helicopter being offset by more than a few mm would cause ultimate stress. Surprised the Navy was brave enough to play with their brains in that way.

• Like 1

Looking really good so far.  I think ou made the right decision to cut down the hull.  Trying to cut a hole around the bow sonar dome would have been a nightmare I think.

On 06/04/2023 at 23:06, Courageous said:

Starting to build the helo hanger structure but want to present it with hanger door open as the kit show some nice interior detail, not much can be seen. Question to the collective. What colour would be the interior walls and roof be...white?

Stuart

Sorry Stuart, been over in Group Build-land for a few weeks so only just seen this.  Technically the colour is called Ash Grey, but as other have said, it's effectively a very slight off-white.  I painted the inside of BRAVE's hangar Tamiya flat white and it looks fine.

When you say that you want to portray her with the hangar door open, are you representing her at Flying Stations or during an aircraft move in/out of the hanagar?  For the former, at least for Lynx/Wildcat, the hangar door should be 1/3 open.  It's only fully open when moving the cab in or out.

F231-HMS-Argyll-020.jpg

an-agustawestland-merlin-hm2-helicopter-

Though I do have in the back of my mind that for Merlin operations, the door was fully closed owing to the much greater downdraught which could theoretically blow the door in.  Unfortunately I only ever flew the Merlin rear crew simulator and never served in a Merlin capable frigate or destroyer.

On 26/04/2023 at 12:01, AlxBNE said:

I wonder how the helicopter pilots on the real ship handled the offset? In my experience helicopter pilots are a special breed and the idea of anything associated with a helicopter being offset by more than a few mm would cause ultimate stress. Surprised the Navy was brave enough to play with their brains in that way.

I must confess that until it was pointed out that there is an offset, I'd never noticed it before!  Now that said, although I was originally appointed to be the very first T23 Flight Commander in HMS MARLBOROUGH in 1990, when her completion date slipped I was re-appointed to BRAVE and the Observer with whom I had shared the squadron warfare office for the previous 2 years and who was changing posts 6 months later got MARLBOROUGH.  I don't think in all my time in the FAA that I ever even landed on a T23.  You line up to the deck markings rather than the deck itself. 

But it was rare that any pilot hit the centre of the deck lock grid.  I promised to buy my Pilot in BRAVE a bottle of champagne every time he did it.  In 2 years and probably 400 deck landings, I bought just one bottle of champagne!  And that was after returning to the ship with a major gearbox emergency and declaring that we would try to hold it in the hover alongside the flight deck.  If we felt we could do it, we would attempt a landing; otherwise we would ditch alongside.  We came to the hover with the aircraft barely controllable and he literally threw it at the spot.  And as luck would have it, hit the centre hole in the grid 😲.  The man from Westlands who flew out the following day with a new main rotor gearbox, upon stripping down the old one, reckoned we had less than 5 minutes flying time remaining before it self-destructed.

• Like 6

On 4/28/2023 at 2:51 PM, Chewbacca said:

hangar door should be 1/3 open

Cheers for all the feedback Ralph, much appreciated. The kit 'did' come with a Merlin but some how it got stood on and was BER, so that's why I decided that I wanted the hanger door open. So using your reference, with no helo, the door should be fully shut...didn't like that, so went for the 1/3 open look...call it artistic license.

Anyways...

20230502-105930.jpg

Sea Ceptor VLS and Harpoon launchers fitted to foredeck. All structures built up with PE platforms and railings now fitted. Everything has had a coat of semi gloss before a light wash is applied to try and bring out the detail.

20230502-110208.jpg

While I let the the hull and structures dry, I knocked up a basic base that's an MDF base with a layer of rough watercolour paper added to give it some ripple. Primed in black. painted a dark blue and the ships wash(?) of grey/white applied around hull line. I think there is a technical term for this 'wash', can somebody tell me?

20230502-111056.jpg

Hull stuck down with PVA glue and clamped until dry.

Starting to think of next build to utilise the current paint scheme:

• Type 42 Batch 2 Destroyer
  • Type 42 Batch 3 Destroyer
  • Type 45 Destroyer

Votes please.

Stuart

• Like 9

Things a looking very nice on this one Stuart, with lots of very fine detail on the top.

A great back story also from Ralph @Chewbacca. Always good to hear some real life accounts like that.

Of the next build options I'd pick a Vosper :frantic:, but I notice the wording was "to utilise the current paint scheme" so I guess I'll pick the Type 42 Batch 2 FWIW, although I do have some distant recollection of you perhaps having the Starling County Class DLG? That would be a good one to see at some point.

Terry

Really shaping up there Stuart some very interesting info to take in as well about the helicopters used.  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Coming along nicely!

I was going to buy the kit of Montrose when it came out, but when I learned that Trumpeter had moved to full-hull-only on it's modern 1/700 ships it became a hard pass. The one piece hull being the final nail in the coffin.

Mike.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Keep it up!

Thanks Martin...I don't know much about boats & ships either.

@beefy66 @robgizlu Cheers guys, it does test the eyes though.

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

The one piece hull being the final nail in the coffin.

Nah, just get your Montrose and get hacking. If you build up the hull first like I did, then cut it, you shouldn't have any problems. I found it much easier using a mini drill and a disc cutter. It obviously goes far and you can melt the plastic but if you take it easy and give yourself a little space...and finish off with a big file  and sandpaper.

Stuart

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

9 hours ago, MikeR said:

The one piece hull being the final nail in the coffin.

Nah, just get your Montrose and get hacking. If you build up the hull first like I did, then cut it, you shouldn't have any problems. I found it much easier using a mini drill and a disc cutter. It obviously goes far and you can melt the plastic but if you take it easy and give yourself a little space...and finish off with a big file  and sandpaper.

Gidday, my personal preference is full hull ships but for a build of HMS Onslow I had to waterline the hull, twice. I applied masking tape to the hull to make it easier to mark, then I used a razor saw to do the cutting. By laying the saw along the cut line as I went along it helped to keep things straight and true.

Onslw130 waterlining hull

This hull is an Airfix HMS Cossack hull in 1/600. Although it looks a rough technique it came out surprisingly neat. HTH.

Apologies if I'm 'teaching' you what you already know, and apologies Stuart for hijacking your thread a little. I'll get my coat now. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

apologies Stuart for hijacking your thread a little.

Don't worry yourself Jeff, we're all here to help.

A few more steps...

20230503-162502.jpg

Structures added to deck, main deck railings added, as was flight deck & gun deck safety netting. I have recently noticed that the safety netting is 'rope' colour, so I may try correcting that. I completely forgot about the weathering, so I'll skip that. Not much left to do: 

• Paint safety netting
  • Touch up railings with weatherworks grey
  • Fit 2 boats onto boat deck
  • Fit bridge deck with foremast
  • Fit ensign on foremast
  • Add some 'fluff' along waterline
  • One more gloss coat for the sea

Stuart

• Like 7

This is coming along really well.  If I didn't know, I would struggle to believe that it is 1/700.

Perfectly all right to have the door 1/3 open even if the cab isn't on deck, after all it could be airborne.  I think I might have put the FD nets in the lowered position to indicate that but I know that my boys used to raise the nets if they knew we were not coming back for a while so that they could sunbathe on the flight deck (out of sight of the camera!) without having to wear lifejackets.

As for the next one, think my vote would be Batch 2 T42 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I would struggle to believe that it is 1/700.

Cheers Ralph, must be doing something right.

20230504-170016.jpg

Painted the netting, looks a bit stark but is less obvious with normal eyesight.

20230504-170026.jpg

Boats added and netting painted too.

20230504-170033.jpg

Uschi 'fine' added with its ensign.

20230504-170053.jpg

'Fluffy' stuff added along waterline and another coat of 'water' applied. Calling this job done. RFI to follow.

Stuart

• Like 12

Well done Stuart.  That looks superb.

On 02/05/2023 at 11:42, Courageous said:

Sea Ceptor VLS and Harpoon launchers fitted to foredeck. 

One small point that I didn't earlier.  The missiles must be the earlier GWS 26 Sea Wolf as GWS 35 Sea Ceptor is fitted in association with 997 Artisan radar, and with the best will in the world, even in this scale, Trumpeter's representation of the main search radar couldn't be described as 997.  It sort of approximates to 996 which was the earlier radar.  WESTMINSTER was upgraded from Sea Wolf/996 to Sea Ceptor/997 in a 2017 refit. 

The missile silos are very similar - Sea Ceptor missiles are slightly longer so protrude upwards a little more but in this scale that would be hardly perceptible.

Regardless of that, you've done some fantastic modelling there so hope my comment doesn't detract.

• Like 1

@longshanks @dnl42 @beefy66, thanks guys, much appreciated.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

One small point

I thought that they may have been Sea Wolf but wasn't sure. I think the kit depicts her in her early years with as you say the Sea Wolf, 996(ish) radar, early 4.5" ( rounded housing, not angular), boat cranes in a different  place and most probably more differences.

RFI here:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd drift south & see what you've been up to in the floaty bits section. Glad I found this thread as I can see you've been doing some amazing things with this ship. That's a build thread I could use for reference if ever I get going with one of my ships 

I'm guessing the Merlin was painful underfoot then? Will it still get a whirly copter then? 

Will it be ready for the comp then? 

• Like 2