RAF Scampton Diorama

PatG

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source which shows Scampton during the WW2 period as I would like to make a diorama of it, as in the officers mess and related buildings plus some of the hangars, before it now disappears?

I have the excellent 'Then & Now' book on RAF Fighter Airfields by Robin Brooks so wondered if similar treatment has also been given to Bomber Airfields as well which includes Scampton?

Pat.

Ps. apologies for my previous post on Scampton as it wasn't strictly modeling related and has now been moved/deleted

7 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

I don't think they've done Scampton though, unless I've missed it?

No.15 in the series - listed as 057215 as noted in my first post - look to the right of 057214 Bournemouth/Hurn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am not sure Scampton is going to disappear, exciting proposals over £3million to be spent, museum etc (I wonder where the Lanc will come from ?) 

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/developers-say-plans-transform-raf-8265094

though signing this attack on that plan might help.

https://chng.it/mc7JgNjN

pass it on, else Scampton , our most famous bomber station, may as well be lost, hate to be the sleepy local village with that lot let loose. Might mess up the tourism for the area as well.

What scale is the diorama going to be ?

One can get aerial photos from a national resource I think its in Swindon, I managed to get such for RAF Kenley.

Such will give a good plan view and better ideas on peri tracks, paths etc.

A lot of RAF buildings were built to a standard design, so a trip to Bicester and Linton on Ouse might help. latter also escaped refugee plans so do get distributing. That new plan and our most famous Bomber station needs that new plan and not the home office one ! sacriledge.

Pass it on !

Merlin

• Like 1

Lots of building similar to Scampton (Expansion Period design) are to be seen at a number of airfields built during the Expansion Period so you should be able to gain access to several  . . . 

I have recently visited the bomb storage area at Driffield . . . 

• Thanks 1

This may be a totally dumb answer, but wasn't the film "Dambusters" made at Scampton? There are loads of good shots of the outsides of the buildings even if the interiors were mocked up. Might be worth a thirty second glance at!

Regards

Pete

• Like 1

The scale will be 1/44th as 72nd would be too large for my limited space.

I'll need to double check the filming locations for the film but from memory they seem to be pretty accurate/representative.

<Text relating to hidden spat removed>

Pat.

Edited by Mike
Forgot to remove it earlier
  • Like 1

Merlin,

Spot on with your post and have done my bit plus passed on to friends and family.

Now seeking a suitable base board to start planning the diorama and to potentially adjust the scale a little to suit my domestic space limitations.

Pat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, PatG said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source which shows Scampton during the WW2 period as I would like to make a diorama of it, as in the officers mess and related buildings plus some of the hangars, before it now disappears?

I have the excellent 'Then & Now' book on RAF Fighter Airfields by Robin Brooks so wondered if similar treatment has also been given to Bomber Airfields as well which includes Scampton?

Pat.

Ps. apologies for my previous post on Scampton as it wasn't strictly modeling related and has now been moved/deleted

Sir, one found this on another forum one frequents:

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23435&p=528225&hilit=hangar#p528225

Although it's precis does seem only to be hangars,there are "blueprints/architecture drawings" which give dimensions so that one maybe

able to transpose those to give a model suitable for one's uses.

There is also a guide to the various hangars seen on many RAF stations,both current and inactive.

As a small aside and pointing to your diorama question,hangars 1-4 at Scampton are all C types,hangar 2 retains the 617 Squadron offices

and has the grave of the famous(or infamous these days) "Black Labrador" adjacent to it.

23 hours ago, Dave Wilko said:

Sir, one found this on another forum one frequents:

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23435&p=528225&hilit=hangar#p528225

Thank you for trying to bring this thread back to the main point from the original post. We really don't need to be repeatedly lectured and I must admit I found the tone of some of that rather strange.

Thanks again

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've had to remove half a page of bickering from this thread, where two members in particular seem to have forgotten that we don't discuss politics or other divisive subjects here, although at one point they did remember that they were on a modelling forum, but still didn't stop.

They will be hearing from me shortly.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 PM, PatG said:

Pat.

To quote you again Sir,but might one also venture that this interesting collection may also be of value?

http://mickbellplans.com/

These are military vehicles,some armor,soft skins,NFS fire engines,many airforces GSE from the 1930's upto the 1990's/2000's.

• Thanks 2