Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk1a

Well, I'm calling this one finished as much because I've lost the will to do anything more with it than anything else.  It's only my second 1/48 scale aircraft and the first Spitfire I've ever built and I'm going to say that it has turned out just about OK, I'd give it a C+.  As I mentioned in my build thread, I had huge problems with silvering on the decals not all of which I was able to get rid of.  Given the decal issues, I haven't bothered with a panel line wash.

Any issues are down to me and not the kit which went together really well and I was really happy with the paint job until I started on the decals.  Still I've learned a few things, the next one will be better...

Big thanks to @Troy Smith in particular for his advice during the build. 

spacer.png]

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

That doesn’t look too bad at all for a second 48 scale build. What’s next?

Bruce 

Thanks. 

I’m almost finished a He162 with a FW Ta183 in progress then after that, an Me262. 

6 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

Still a nice looking build!

We all learn something from each build- with me, it's "well, I won't do THAT again!" Looking forward to your next ones!

I say the same, only to make the very same error on my next model 🙄

• Like 1

From the photos, the decals look fine.  I have found each of us are our own worst critics with every error we find in the build or finish a horrendous mistake on our parts that surely must ruin the kit.  In reality, most of the mistakes are minor, not really that noticeable to others, and with each kit we improve a bit more.  However, with each improvement we make, generally that translates into a even more harsh critique for the next build.  It is the vicious circle of being a model builder.  We all consider ourselves hacks, everyone else's models are made so much better, and we can't see the progress we make with each build.  Thanks for sharing this and it is really quite outstanding, especially when you consider it is only your second build in this scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2