1/350 IJN Fuso. Fujimi

Gidday @Tegethoff, admittedly my models are smaller than yours (1/600 scale) but I screw them to blocks of wood while I'm building them, the screws coming up through the wood into the model. This gives me something to hold while I'm working on them plus the weight of the wood helps to keep them steady. Apologies if I've already told you this. I can post photos if you wish.

I hope you can repair the damage OK, it's a superb model that you've done so far.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Bit of an update. I've touched up the hull where there was very slight paint spillage. Looks OK now, have started to paint and retouch up the aircraft holding/loading point at the back, but it isn't finished yet, but looking like it could be OK. (the raised mini turret on the wooden section will be filed, and replaced with a PE piece holding the catapult.   

PXL_20230620_110945894

Then added the main wooden hull and some of the not-quite-super-but-definitely-a-structure around the gun turrets. 

PXL_20230620_121429309~2

Some PE structures to be added before adding the three super structures:

PXL_20230620_112436286

And finally the most damaged part of the main tower which has been disconnected from the pagoda tower and is undergoing extensive pressure training to try to straighten it out. 

PXL_20230620_141328664~2

Next will be try to straighten out the wing of the Pagoda tower, re-glue it, see if it needs more paint - Narrator: "it will", glue down the turrets, paint the propellors glue them down, glue down the minor structures, super structure and re-evaluate from there. 

• Like 10

That's really coming together now Tegethoff,

lovely looking deck. Hopefully the signal yardarm will straighten out fine, unfortunately I've got bad visions of it snapping towards the tip.

Shouldn't be long now!

James.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jagdtiger1 said:

That's really coming together now Tegethoff,

lovely looking deck. Hopefully the signal yardarm will straighten out fine, unfortunately I've got bad visions of it snapping towards the tip.

Shouldn't be long now!

James.

Thanks. Time will tell with the arm. It's still undergoing its pressure treatment. 

Rather worryingly I think by pieces of plastic (ignoring photo etch), I'm barely a third of the way through the pieces to be attached... There are an unbelievable number of guns and boxes and air vents to make and install... I might have to  build a K.u.K submarine to stop my sanity failing.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tegethoff said:

Thanks. Time will tell with the arm. It's still undergoing its pressure treatment. 

Rather worryingly I think by pieces of plastic (ignoring photo etch), I'm barely a third of the way through the pieces to be attached... There are an unbelievable number of guns and boxes and air vents to make and install... I might have to  build a K.u.K submarine to stop my sanity failing.   

Sanity.... yes.... Well, I think that we collectively said goodbye to it loooong time ago... Anyhow, when I feel that particular model is more burden, than fun, I put it aside, take some light build (AC, or AFV in 72nd scale), until I feel will to continue....

Some models aren't meant to be built without pause...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

Some models aren't meant to be built without pause

Now there’s a curious coincidence. I asked my dog to help me with my kit last week and she said, “Sorry Boss, but I won’t get involved. Some models are meant to be built without paws.”

• Haha 7

I've been putting off doing the PE ropes for the rear crane on the back mast/gunnery platform/crane. But thought it has to be done at some point:

How it started:

PXL_20230625_170537883

How it finished (the wire is too thin to capture on my cell phone camera). it might not look pretty, but I'm so relieved it fits and I didn't break anything with all of the folds - and that I'd cut the crane to the right length. will be properly painted black to make it stand out from the dark grey structures.

PXL_20230625_173737962

and what plastic sprues remain to be finished/started:

PXL_20230625_174012653~2

• Like 12

Well done on the very challenging PE. 

I’ve come to the personal opinion, that this ship is really ugly. Interesting, even fascinating, but definitely ugly. It’s just so untidy! 

However, the opportunities for detailing are incredible. It’s going to look like a brass hedgehog and will make a brilliant model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Well done on the very challenging PE. 

I’ve come to the personal opinion, that this ship is really ugly. Interesting, even fascinating, but definitely ugly. It’s just so untidy! 

However, the opportunities for detailing are incredible. It’s going to look like a brass hedgehog and will make a brilliant model.

Thanks - the PE wire had almost been giving me nightmares. Actually wasn't so bad (life lesson somewhere??)

The Hull is beautiful but the super-structure is brutal looking. It is more of a modelling challenge than an aesthetic challenge. I personally far prefer the aesthetics of the dreadnoughts, especially the Austrian ones, each as slightly different as it is. Some of the Kaiserliche König and Bayern classes especially are beautiful. 

I found this image of what each level of the pagoda does fascinating. It really shows how the Japanese thought about night fighting, even with very aged vessels. But I wouldn't want to be on 13th level AA post in a Typhoon. 

yz50jkuhw7f11.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Thanks - the PE wire had almost been giving me nightmares. Actually wasn't so bad (life lesson somewhere??)

The Hull is beautiful but the super-structure is brutal looking. It is more of a modelling challenge than an aesthetic challenge. I personally far prefer the aesthetics of the dreadnoughts, especially the Austrian ones, each as slightly different as it is. Some of the Kaiserliche König and Bayern classes especially are beautiful. 

I found this image of what each level of the pagoda does fascinating. It really shows how the Japanese thought about night fighting, even with very aged vessels. But I wouldn't want to be on 13th level AA post in a Typhoon. 

yz50jkuhw7f11.png

Great looking model, but such an unusual looking ship. Menacing rather than ugly I'd say.

Interesting that you found this in a WOWS site, for anyone who doesn't know it is a free to play naval simulator on playstation and PC. Its actually great fun and apart from some line of sight "features" very well thought out. Worth a go when you need a rest from all that PE !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I’ve come to the personal opinion, that this ship is really ugly.

Not only you. In a book I have it states that IJN Fuso was considered the ugliest ship in the Japanese navy.

3 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Gidday, and thanks for sharing this. It shows just how much was packed into the pagoda masts. And I agree with you, their hulls were very graceful. I really MUST do one of these one day.

1 hour ago, theskits62 said:

Interesting that you found this in a WOWS site, for anyone who doesn't know it is a free to play naval simulator on playstation and PC. Its actually great fun and apart from some line of sight "features" very well thought out.

I've seen some of these on You-tube. Yes they look interesting but I don't think I'll get involved. First I don't know how to sign up etc, and second I'd probably get hooked, at the expense of modeling.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Not only you. In a book I have it states that IJN Fuso was considered the ugliest ship in the Japanese navy.

Gidday, and thanks for sharing this. It shows just how much was packed into the pagoda masts. And I agree with you, their hulls were very graceful. I really MUST do one of these one day.

Maybe making a ship so ugly those doing visual spotting wouldn't want to look at it was a 4D chess move....

Glad you found it interesting. It shows what other books show but with colour which makes it so much more obvious. I'm always amazed how range finding (and radar) works at all, especially in the pre-computer age.

There is a Kongo in my basement which may get an outing when(/if) this is finished and the Pontos upgrade kit arrives.  But I will probably try a dreadnought Maybe SMS Prinz Eugen or SMS Szent Istvan depending on energy levels - Szent Istvan can be done out of box/without scratch building . 

2 hours ago, theskits62 said:

Great looking model, but such an unusual looking ship. Menacing rather than ugly I'd say.

Interesting that you found this in a WOWS site, for anyone who doesn't know it is a free to play naval simulator on playstation and PC. Its actually great fun and apart from some line of sight "features" very well thought out. Worth a go when you need a rest from all that PE !

Thanks.  I played WOWS briefly in the pandemic but always got eliminated very rapidly, so gave up quickly! But the graphics were superb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I've seen some of these on You-tube. Yes they look interesting but I don't think I'll get involved. First I don't know how to sign up etc, and second I'd probably get hooked, at the expense of modeling.

Regards, Jeff.

Its certainly addictive but its not something you could play for more than the occasional half hour or so. Its useful for me as my daughter now lives in Perth and we play together each weekend and chat whilst we charge around in our Fletchers trying to torpedo opposing battleships (Fuso amongst them). If you want to try it just go into the PS store and "buy" it (for free) which will install it and away you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Thanks.  I played WOWS briefly in the pandemic but always got eliminated very rapidly, so gave up quickly! But the graphics were superb. 

Word to the wise... Don't do it!!! Unless you have iron will, you'll get hooked faster than you know!!! I made myself quit, four years ago, after countless hours wasted... (24k battles in WoT, and some 2.5k in WoWs...)

Although, I must admit, they have excellent models, actually, I installed WoWs, so I could have some reference for ship rigging...

Edited by Zoran Srb
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

Its certainly addictive but its not something you could play for more than the occasional half hour or so. Its useful for me as my daughter now lives in Perth and we play together each weekend and chat whilst we charge around in our Fletchers trying to torpedo opposing battleships (Fuso amongst them). If you want to try it just go into the PS store and "buy" it (for free) which will install it and away you go.

Sounds like a good time 🙂 Just kindly try not to torpedo this Fuso - thank you kindly :-))

• Haha 1

This is several evenings worth of cutting and putting without too much pressure many many tiny pieces  to get ready to paint. 2 of the 10 spurs shown above were emptied to make this. As was my sanity. I think aircraft kits have less pieces in total than this piece of cardboard now holds.

PXL_20230630_195218878

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Today in spot the difference: 51 small air vent covers(?) added to the deck. What will tomorrow(+/- days) bring?

The other 51? 😁 Yeah, it's lots of little items such as those that make a model look busy. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Today in spot the difference: 51 small air vent covers(?) added to the deck. What will tomorrow(+/- days) bring?

"I don't know why", but I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.... 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zoran Srb said:

"I don't know why", but I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.... 😉

haha sorry for bringing back traumatic memories 😉 I wish they weren't double attached to each sprue. 

• Haha 1

Part 2 of spot the difference on the deck: Jeff was close but managed to stretch it to 59 new parts in total (total 110 so far)
45 small ammunition stores(?)
8 electric winches
6 mid-large size mushroom vents
Try to contain your excitement for tomorrows selection (timings may vary)...

PXL_20230706_201243333~3

• Like 8