1/350 IJN Fuso. Fujimi

Word of caution... If I'm not mistaken, you used plastic masts and yardarms... Be VERY careful when rigging, since if you put too much tension they will bend, and even break!! (don't ask me how I know....) That's why I make all masts and yardarms from brass tubing, and for yardarms, I use Master Model  Set of universal yardarms No1 and No2 ...

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 01:57, Zoran Srb said:

Word of caution... If I'm not mistaken, you used plastic masts and yardarms... Be VERY careful when rigging, since if you put too much tension they will bend, and even break!! (don't ask me how I know....) That's why I make all masts and yardarms from brass tubing, and for yardarms, I use Master Model  Set of universal yardarms No1 and No2 ...

It's difficult but so far it seems to be working. The PE helps reinforce the horizontal arms. I hope it keeps working! Then at the main Pagoda, the plastic is much thicker. I'm replacing the rear flagpole with 1mm brass as the plastic doesn't have the tension strength and I don't see where else on the deck a joint could be made which wouldn't impact the crane/aircraft catapult system. At the Bow all of the wires appear to go to the deck a bit before the flag post which makes life easier! 

On 26/08/2023 at 18:20, Richard E said:

I find that following builds like this are like reading a good book - you're little bit disappointed when it's finished (hope that makes sense). 

It does I think. The hardest thing is getting the order of what to do right. So many chicken and egg type situations. But nearly there.

Some initial rigging (some still needing tidying) and first glimpses of railings where there is no risk of being held. The white of the canvas on the motorboats looked far too bright even with off-white and a hint of grey, so weathered a little with Tamiya panel line to add some texture:

2023-08-28_12-52-09

2023-08-28_12-58-24

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

it's the most bonkers ship ever.

Now, there's a nautical term. 😁 But yeah, you couldn't say she had a streamlined silhouette. But there's no denying that this is a superb model of her.      Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Now, there's a nautical term. 😁 But yeah, you couldn't say she had a streamlined silhouette. But there's no denying that this is a superb model of her.      Regards, Jeff.

Thanks - I'd like to see her in a wind tunnel. Could be a good laugh. I also wonder how big her radar signature was. 

1 hour ago, MRMRL said:

It's all looking really good. I love ww2 Fuso, it's the most bonkers ship ever.

Fairly sure if they really wanted to, they could have put another turret or two somewhere.

11 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Fairly sure if they really wanted to, they could have put another turret or two somewhere.

Lift the superstructures up on legs and slide two more turrets underneath them. 🙂 Fitting boilers and engines might have been a problem though if these extra turrets were to have turret trunks and magazines. 😁

Seriously, regarding her radar signature I don't think she'd have qualified as a 'stealth ship'.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Lift the superstructures up on legs and slide two more turrets underneath them. 🙂 Fitting boilers and engines might have been a problem though if these extra turrets were to have turret trunks and magazines. 😁

Seriously, regarding her radar signature I don't think she'd have qualified as a 'stealth ship'.       Regards, Jeff.

I was thinking maybe put a turret on top of the rear structure and remove the masts, maybe another pair either side of the funnel like in the early dreadnoughts? I guess at that point Fuso would be less battleship and more floating fortress. 

Maybe if you make the radar signature large enough no one would believe it would be a vessel. Hiding in plain sight.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Hiding in plain sight.

Going a little OT here but have you watched the Drachinifel episode on HMS Revenge, the stealth battleship? According to the episode she was used to bombard the German landing craft in northern French ports after the Battle of Britain. Night-time aerial bombing raids on the ports acted as a distraction, and while the Germans were all looking UP at the dark sky the battleship bombarded them from the sea.

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Going a little OT here but have you watched the Drachinifel episode on HMS Revenge, the stealth battleship? According to the episode she was used to bombard the German landing craft in northern French ports after the Battle of Britain. Night-time aerial bombing raids on the ports acted as a distraction, and while the Germans were all looking UP at the dark sky the battleship bombarded them from the sea.

Regards, Jeff.

I haven't but I'll give it a look. Thanks for the recommendation. I know in Guadalcanal battles in the Salomon/Solomon Islands, some of the Kongo class - especially Kirishima -  had very close passes in the dark with a couple of American battleships. I have Kongo still in my pile of things to build, I'm torn between doing SMS Szent Istvan, Kongo or HMS Loyal G15 or HMS Westminster (as I saw it in a trip from London once) next. Might have to draw straws.

Anyway got an hour or so this evening to do more of the rigging. Still needs final tidy up of the intersection of the rigging and lines. The photos don't make it look so equal in lengths etc but it actually is when measured and in person. I replaced the rear flagpole with 1mm brass - I need to paint it but will do it and the last two triple mount guns at once when the railings are done, so everything is a similar colour. The rear flagpole is also my way of keeping the rigging above crane height. 

2023-09-01_06-58-23

And the front superstructure now has multiple layers of rigging, some tight some loose. Making the loose ones the same length was an effort but worth it. Railings, final translucent search lights, planes and the last triple barrel and it should be done. Hopefully next update will be it. 

PXL_20230901_174952200~2
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Proficient rigging. Tungsten material, I suppose… 🤔

Thanks, a combination of Ez Line and Ammo Rigging. I think ordering lumps of Tungsten to my door would upset my post man even more than the occasional giant box from Japan. 

Before the railings were fully installed (i.e. I felt less paranoid about picking it up) I put the four warships I've done together to get a sense of size Top to Bottom: IJN Fuso, HMS Roberts, HMS Hood, SMS Virbus Unitis (newest to oldest in age of being built). As mentioned several pages before it shows just how insane the Naval race was given that VU was first started only six years before Hood and two years before Fuso.

I'm quite happy with the progress I've made in modelling thanks to you all for the help and guidance. Special thanks to Zoran for the numerous "how to" explanations and details. Railings and last triple turrets installed. Flags the final thing to do. Thanks for following along 🙂  

PXL_20230902_143601655~2

PXL_20230902_143750519~2 PXL_20230902_143803400~2

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

IJN Fuso, HMS Roberts, HMS Hood, SMS Virbus Unitis (newest to oldest in age of being built). As mentioned several pages before it shows just how insane the Naval race was given that VU was first started only six years before Hood and two years before Fuso.

Gidday, those are great photos of great models, and very interesting size comparison. I guess VU was primarily designed for the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas (hence her smaller size) while the others were meant to operate anywhere in the world. No doubt there's more to it than that. I think HMS Hood was only two feet shorter than IJN Yamato, and I've read that she cost about twice what an 'R' class battleship cost to build.

As I said, great photos of great models. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, those are great photos of great models, and very interesting size comparison. I guess VU was primarily designed for the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas (hence her smaller size) while the others were meant to operate anywhere in the world. No doubt there's more to it than that. I think HMS Hood was only two feet shorter than IJN Yamato, and I've read that she cost about twice what an 'R' class battleship cost to build.

As I said, great photos of great models. Regards, Jeff.

Fair point. Austria-Hungary wasn't really in the naval race with Britain, but VU was only slightly shorter than Dreadnought (160 vs 152m) and was about the same displacement (c.20,000 tons for VU and 18-20,000 tons for Dreadnought depending on load). And being picky Fuso was also lengthened in one of her modernisations by around 10m to 213m, but still interesting comparison. And thank you for the compliments. 

• Like 1