1/350 IJN Fuso. Fujimi

Having finished HMS Roberts, I decided to go both backwards and forwards in time. So here is my next build: IJN Fuso with the premium kit c.1944. Some mixed feelings about doing an IJN vessel, but the mix of photo-etch and modifications needed should be almost a halfway house between a Trumpeter kit (where photo etch is included) to doing a Pontos upgrade kit (which involves a lot of modifying pieces I think). But my Japanese will need to improve (or my usage of google translate is about to increase a lot). 

There are 4 photo-etch plates, with brass (?) gun barrels. First thoughts: the points of contact with the sprues seems so much more thought out in Fujimi than in Trumpeter, and looks like a lot less sanding is needed.  

2023-03-21_07-45-28 PXL_20230321_130502574 PXL_20230321_130530683 PXL_20230321_130725264

• Like 10

I'm going to trying to build by section (main tower, chimney, secondary towers, armaments, hull etc). I'm torn on if I should get a wooden deck or not, or even if wooden decks are made for this version. The pack includes paint masks for the deck - which I haven't seen before. 

But about a third of the way through the chimney construction. It's going to be difficult to paint within the chimney, but nothing can be built on it without it being installed. Chicken or egg situation. The PE actually is well built and can be cut from the sprue easily, quite nice so far. 

2023-03-22_10-49-13

• Like 10

Since you have the paint mask for the decks, I'd say give painting them a shot. A bit more time intensive esp if you use thin tape strips to do the decks in multiple hues, but unless this is for an upcoming show you have the time. And if it doesn't work out, and they do make a wood deck, you can just cover it up. It's worth the attempt.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

Beautiful looking stack there Tegethoff!

I'll be keeping an eye out as I've got Yamashiro in the cupboard with the overly complex Flyhawk upgrade set, hopefully I can pick up some build tips from you.

I don't think I've ever seen a premium edition Fujimi kit outside of online Japanese shops! If its not too personal, how much did you pay and where did you buy it from?

Re; wooden decks, I've found 3. Wood Hunter, Shipyard Works and Voyager. Hope that helps some.

James.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jagdtiger1 said:

I'll be keeping an eye out as I've got Yamashiro in the cupboard with the overly complex Flyhawk upgrade set, hopefully I can pick up some build tips from you.

I don't think I've ever seen a premium edition Fujimi kit outside of online Japanese shops! If its not too personal, how much did you pay and where did you buy it from?

Re; wooden decks, I've found 3. Wood Hunter, Shipyard Works and Voyager. Hope that helps some.

James.

Thanks I hadn't seen that the wooden decks were compatible with 60005, I was worried the extra AA guns wouldn't work.  I might try airbrush painting the decks, and order some wooden deck for when I invariably mess it up. I confess I prefer the building to the painting. 

The instructions for the photo-etch at least are generally numbered finished, but the process of installation is somewhat unclear tbh. I can show a few examples if you'd like? But the photo etch is v nicely built and engineered at least so far. 

I bought the premium box as a bit of a halfway between a trumpeter kit and a pontos upgrade kit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

By the look of the PE instructions the set is designed by Mk.1, there stuff always seems to be pretty good if pricey, 

Looking at the packaging it says "KA models" but the print designs look to match Mk.1 things? 

Does anyone have a good way of folding ladders? I have a c.5cm PE folding platform but that isn't long enough for the long ladders to be done in one go.

• Like 1

Excellent choice (have this kit in the 'to do' pile) and a cracking start. I shall follow this build with great interest.

Thanks for sharing the work and with any advice/tips/probs as you work through it.

Gary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tegethoff said:

Looking at the packaging it says "KA models" but the print designs look to match Mk.1 things? 

Does anyone have a good way of folding ladders? I have a c.5cm PE folding platform but that isn't long enough for the long ladders to be done in one go.

Ah that makes sense KA and MK.1 are one in the same, 

Re the ladder I use a 15cm metal ruler for things like that

• Like 2

So very slight, but incredibly time consuming update. Photo 1 is the chimney as it currently is. 

The photo etch is well manufactured, the instructions and process to do so are challenging, and I made a major error, somewhat rectified. So all errors are on the upper decoration around the edge of the chimney. There are three layers of metal work on the rim of the chimney, all slightly separate. but I glued the angled metal spikes too low to begin with (seen by the superglue halfway between the current spikes, and the first ring of photo etch. in trying to remove the superglue with a quick flame, the left most pipe distorted, so I cut it off and rebuilt with some old sprue. it kinda works but will need some filing in. The only error of the kit is the top part of the square box above the funnel which has one side straightened and another side angled (photo1/2), I had to split it into two to go into the vertical slots of the raised (top of 3) rings on the chimney ridge (hence the authentic flame charred look).  Photo 3 is the PE instruction kit which doesn't clearly show that the spikes should be raised partially. it also doesn't show how the spike parts need to be put on vertically before the upmost ring (because the plastic pipes need to be installed before this point - see photo 4 for the Fujimi instructions)

Need to tidy up the rejoined pipes, the edge of the spikes and the box and probably a lobotomy. 

PXL_20230325_183059927~2 PXL_20230325_183138658~2 PXL_20230325_183245991 PXL_20230325_183233837

• Like 8

Great !! You bit a bullet ! Hope it doesn't give you headache. As far as its set goes, its mainly for necessary add-ons to bring it to decent level, so its not so demanding as Flyhawk set (unfortunately Pontos has not produced one... yet...). Fujimi's PE is not too forgiving so take care and take it easy.... I hope you have bending tool, it helps a lot... (if you don't, I use this one and recommend it...  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003645199801.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.81.1ddb14ffP0akdv&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000026631930516"}&pdp_npi=3%40dis!EUR!15.38!13.84!!!!!%40211bf4c516797762364573740d0705!12000026631930516!sea!SRB!1852775177&curPageLogUid=RgOPp0sLhZkH  )

As for wooden deck, I think this one looks good:

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ycfy2icrxasqhlum29ql.html

I personally prefer wooden decks, since it eliminates need for masking, yes I know, I'm bit lazy.....

Anyway, I will be following your project, wish you all the best, and hope to see her done soon... Cheers!!

• Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 22:54, Jagdtiger1 said:

James.

Try it here... I'm yet to find cheaper source of ships from Japanese manufacturers....

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/7cw9ud5yqv1kogupxbji.html

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zoran Srb said:

Great !! You bit a bullet ! Hope it doesn't give you headache. As far as its set goes, its mainly for necessary add-ons to bring it to decent level, so its not so demanding as Flyhawk set (unfortunately Pontos has not produced one... yet...). Fujimi's PE is not too forgiving so take care and take it easy.... I hope you have bending tool, it helps a lot... (if you don't, I use this one and recommend it...  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003645199801.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.81.1ddb14ffP0akdv&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000026631930516"}&pdp_npi=3%40dis!EUR!15.38!13.84!!!!!%40211bf4c516797762364573740d0705!12000026631930516!sea!SRB!1852775177&curPageLogUid=RgOPp0sLhZkH  )

As for wooden deck, I think this one looks good:

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/ycfy2icrxasqhlum29ql.html

I personally prefer wooden decks, since it eliminates need for masking, yes I know, I'm bit lazy.....

Anyway, I will be following your project, wish you all the best, and hope to see her done soon... Cheers!!

I have a bending tool, but it is more the placing and gluing I got not so right this time. Next time more looking/thinking is needed first! 

• Like 1

Fabulous work on the stack.

Don't worry too much about any 'errors' with minute bits of PE as these photos will magnify any irregularities much greater than the human eye can see anyway.  Once some primer and paint is on as well, it all tends to blend in just fine.  Excellent work thus far on a great subject!

Gary 

• Like 3

Much more straightforward couple of hours, making some form of Antenna(?) photo 1, adding the front and rear structures and floors, and then adding the cap-grate to the chimney? Probably 75% of the way through the chimney construction, ladders, railings, lights and weapons to go then some tidy up and fashioning a couple of the small pipes to replace those earlier damaged. 

PXL_20230328_174516606

PXL_20230328_174549141

PXL_20230328_184828473 PXL_20230328_184812961

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

That's looking mouth wateringly good, 

Thanks - the whole assembly is less than 5cm long, and around 3.5 cm wide. The plastic deck looks a bit messy due to filling in the plastic holes with putty (and the correguated look of the deck making cleaning harder), but will be gone under a spray coat.

• Like 1