New Airbrush - £130 Budget

treker_ed

I currently use, and do like using, an Ultimate Models Apex airbrush. The only issue I have - spares are quite often out of stock, and for many months. I am aware that this particular brush is a rebadged Omni, and so could get spares for that brush that would fit; even so, I'm still struggling to find certain replacement parts.

On that basis, I'm considering getting a replacement brush.

Ideally double action, and with easily obtainable spares and accessories such as extra needles/nozzles etc. I currently also have a 0.2 & 0.5 mm needle, and ideally would like a brush that either includes or would have easily obtainable spares. Budget would be as above, but there would be a little flexibility in that, but not much. 

(edit - I should also add Gravity feed only - I've used siphon feed/Bottle feed brushes and did not get on with them at all)

50 minutes ago, halfwit said:

If you can push the budget a little then perhaps a Badger 100 or 150, which can be had with a choice of needles/tips. Easy to use, clean, and find spares for.

Thanks for that - but with the 150 (if I've looked up the correct one) being siphon /bottle feeding, that is sadly one I will not be looking further into. I've had one in the past, and almost put me off airbrushes completely (not a Badger brush I hasten to add) but did not get on with it at all. After the single action, siphon feed I had, I got myself a cheap starter set with a double action, gravity feed, and small compressor back in 2012. I was able to really pick it up quite quickly, and never really looked back. That gave up the ghost (it was only a small, cheap thing from Model Zone) and I bought a larger compressor with tank about 5 years later. I think it's time to look at slightly more expensive branded brushes with the expectation that they may last a bit longer and be able to get spares a bit easier!

The 150 is what I've used since 2008, never had a problem that couldn't be fixed (new tip and a new head washer) but yes, gravity feed would be better (in fact I'm thinking of upgrading mine to a top feed job). The 100 is gravity fed.

Like yourself I wouldn't buy an airbrush that I couldn't get spares for.

I think I have made a decision about which brush to get!

However... due to the cost, in the meantime, I will need to get a cheaper one for the moment (about £37) which when I have enough money saved up, to get the new expensive one, this will be relegated to primer spraying only! I've been recommended, by various sources to go for the H&S Silverline Evolution 2-in-1, which, at around the £140 mark will entail a little bit of saving first to enable me to purchase.

In the meantime, a brush I have used before, AB-180s has been purchased from Bartsharp. It will suffice until the H&S can be purchased, and does come with several needles & nozzles to allow fine work to be done. That's already on the way. The H&S will probably be bought in a couple of months.

Realise it’s a bit over budget (I did see it at £145) but my go to is always the Iwata eclipse, standard 0.35 needle and you can get a 0.5 nozzle and needle set too if needed, that said I have the 0.5 and I think I’ve used no more than 3 or 4 times and not for the last couple of years. 
brush works brilliantly; reliable, accurate, flexible on paints and thinning and dead easy to clean with the removable nozzle. Only thing I did to upgrade was get the longer trigger as I found it more comfortable.

• Like 1

Sorry but that is a definite no go. As sadly don't work due to health reasons, the budget I set, is the budget I have to stick to, The H&S Silverline comes pre-fitted with a 0.2mm needle, and with a 0.4mm in the set,

If I was to get the Iwata Eclipse - I would have to buy extra components to be at the same level as the H&S brush. The total cost of which (after doing some price research) would be at or over the £200. Well in excess of the £130-£140 budget that I have. That is of course not including any carriage I may have to include.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2023 at 7:34 PM, treker_ed said:

I think I have made a decision about which brush to get!I

've been recommended, by various sources to go for the H&S Silverline Evolution 2-in-1, which, at around the £140 mark will entail a little bit of saving first to enable me to purchase.

Now the decision has been made as to which brush to buy, the choice as to where to buy from needs to be made....

Sadly Modelling Tools.co.uk is not currently trading, so cannot purchase forom them (local to where I live, and the owner is also a member of the local modelling club where I am also a member). So any recommendations as to the best places to purchase from? I will not buy off eBay or Amazon, for my own reasons. So what companies out there are offering good deals and prices on the H&S Silverline Evo 2-in1?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I recommend Air-craft.net ?

Martin is a very helpful guy and will provide a superb advice and help, should you need it.  The delivery service is first rate AND he keeps an excellent range of H&S spares, accessories, etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Have now ordered my new airbrush, however, have ordered from graphics direct.co.uk as it worked out to be much cheaper. As it was my first order with them, got a small discount, which then meant I could pay for next day delivery. So total spent including carriage was under my budget!

Did check out aircraft.net, and prices were just that little too much, especially when adding carriage on top!

• 2 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, marky sparky said:

Check out Amazon for good deals or https://barwellbodyworks-shop.com/

On 5/3/2023 at 12:37 AM, treker_ed said:

I will not buy off eBay or Amazon, for my own reasons.

As I said earlier in the thread I will not purchase from Amazon or Ebay for my own personal reasons - in addition, I have already made the purchase of the new airbrush, so with respect, your comment is a couple of weeks too late! I will request that the mods lock the thread as it is no longer required,

• Julien locked this topic