Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FRXVIII

Gday All

Another Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV from me, this time as a XVIII from 208 SQN during their time in Egypt.  I just could not resist that camouflage! 

Decals are from a Xtradecals sheet and paint is by MRP and Gunze.

Wheels and exhausts are from the Eduard Brassin range.

I could not determine from photos whether these machines were fitted with the cameras underneath, and references I consulted could not decide either, so I left the kit as is.  

As a bit of artistic licence  one of the rear camera panels was finished as a replacement silver panel despite  the two published photos of this aircraft  showing  no such replacement panel.

Thanks for looking

Bruce

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

congratulations Bruce...

Very appealing camo !!

And great Spitfire then.

IMHO you've been right in placing the camera on the sides only....

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I don't know whether Mk.XVIII did carry the vertical camera or not, but as discussed a few years back on 40 SAAF's Mk.Vs, the alternative fitting was certainly possible.  Unless there was something about the low-back that prevented it?  Are there photos of the belly of the Mk.XVIII that proves they were not normally capable because of the lack of a hatch for a window?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

congratulations Bruce...

Very appealing camo !!

And great Spitfire then.

IMHO you've been right in placing the camera on the sides only....

Well done Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't know whether Mk.XVIII did carry the vertical camera or not, but as discussed a few years back on 40 SAAF's Mk.Vs, the alternative fitting was certainly possible.  Unless there was something about the low-back that prevented it?  Are there photos of the belly of the Mk.XVIII that proves they were not normally capable because of the lack of a hatch for a window?

Thanks Chaps. Graham, you raise an interesting point regarding possible lack of room in the rear fuselage of the low back, if the oblique camera was also fitted.

Thanks  also Georgeusa. The only other type that used this scheme were Tempests, I believe.

Bruce

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful model. I love the late Spitfires.

Me too

7 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

Beautiful build! Love the different camo, rare.

I use/love MRP paint, what colors did you use?

Thanks Dave

colours used were Light Slate Grey, Medium Sea Grey, all  from MRP and the Dark Earth was Gunze Mr Color