F-8E Crusader - VF-191 "Satan's Kittens" - completed

Well this will be my first official GB/STGB of the year……..well we don’t talk about the 1/32nd Kingfisher!!!  :whistle:

I have been a bit quiet of late, been mega busy with work, plus trying to clear some of the backlog of builds I have, mostly AFV’s….I have a very low completion rate with these, but have a Rhino & Rooikat done and another 3 or 4 more almost, so it has been time well spent when I have it.

So this is just a nice straightforward build for me, with Hasegawa’s lovely 1/48th F-8E Crusader being the build of choice for this one. I picked this up a little while ago for the really nice price!

IMG_7794-L.jpg

IMG_7795-L.jpg

It’ll be as close as I can do to a straight out of the box build……….so AM bits will be included  :D  ….

…..a Wolfpack Cockpit set and Eduard Exhaust set….

IMG_7797-L.jpg

…plus Aires Engine Duct Bay and ResKit wheel set……photos to come.

The scheme will be straight out of the box, a VF-191 “Satan’s Kitten’s” bird.

IMG_7796-L.jpg

This will be something nice and simple to get me back into the GB groove……plus I may have a 2nd off-topic build going on at the same time (an Eduard VF-6 Wildcat), so photo-bombs away!!

• Like 10

On 3/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, modelling minion said:

Good to see you joining in Rich, though your idea of a simple OOTB build has a lot more aftermarket than most would think.

I would have thought that you would be joining with Trumpeter's 1/32 beast as I know you like that scale.

🇺🇦

The Crusader is big enough in 1/48......she'd be huge in 1/32nd!!!

Plus I need to same my penny's (and stash/shelf space) for the new 1/32nd AJ-37 Viggen!!!  🥰

• Haha 1

Ok I’ve finally made a start on this build and it is officially the first new build of the year………..hmm will there’s something else on the bench to, maybe more on that later. That said I’ve finished 4 builds and have 3 more 90% there, all older builds.

Anyway back to the subject….lots of work done on her over the last two days and am ready to put paint on lots of wee bits (well actually started today).

These are the 2 extra AM bits I forgot to photograph last time..

IMG_7875-L.jpg

So in no particular order…. The old cockpit details have been ripped out ready for the new Wolfpack cockpit.

IMG_7888-L.jpg

Actually everything fitted quite nicely with the cockpit update, unlike an Aires cockpit, though the instructions where a bit vague where I needed to cut bits off.

Looks good just sitting there, though I did need to chop up the seat base to get it to sit low enough!

IMG_7896-L.jpg

Even the canopy looks like it’ll fit nicely as well, well worth the price/upgrade!

IMG_7897-L.jpg

The U/c has been built up, new resin wheel hubs have been fitted, brake lines to be added, the nose wheel support was drilled out.

IMG_7889-L.jpg

The new wing box detail certainly looks nice, not a lot will be seen but what will be will look really cool.

IMG_7890-L.jpg

The wing is together along with the control surfaces, unfortunately the outer leading-edge bits had some injector marks which needed filling in, they were not too bad.. 

IMG_7891-L.jpg

Still not 100% sure how I’ll mount the control surfaces, up or down. The wing will be in its raised position, I know that normally it’s down when parked and mostly the control surfaces are up. I want to give it a but of “life” so wing up, leading edge down, flaps 50:50???

Same with the wing pylons, going over all the photos of VF-191 aircraft I have only found one with pylons fitted but no tanks. All operational (Nam) ones, none are fitted, so I may leave them off.

IMG_7892-L.jpg

New engine bits, they can slide in right at the end which will be nice.

IMG_7893-L.jpg

The tail, ECM fairing has been removed, hole for Nav light drilled out, added air scopes, gosh the positioning for them was VERY vague!!!

IMG_7895-L.jpg

I decided to fit the “Y” pylons for the Sidewinders, the look cool and was an option for this bird. This was the CAP config. Typical Hasegawa doesn’t supply any stores….luckily Zoukei-Mura supplies billions with their Phantoms so some AIM-9D’s were acquired.

IMG_7894-L.jpg

Ok the scheme….I was and would still like to do the Commander Air Wing’s aircraft "00" but after further investigation I found that the Squadron Commander shot down a MiG-17 in July 1968 in "101", which the 2nd scheme Hasegawa supplied so now I’m thinking I may do that scheme. Not as colourful but will look cool with the red star (?) on the cockpit side. Unfortunately, there are no photos as the aircraft was lost not long after.

IMG_7898-L.jpg

I am really liking this build as this model is so nice to build, Hasegawa at the top of there game with this one. A couple of minor issues found so far but still a lovely model.

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to F-8E Crusader - VF-191 "Satan's Kittens" CAG Bird...maybe not - started the nice kitty!
2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

All operational (Nam) ones, none are fitted, so I may leave them off.

Hi Rich,

I made that choice for mine in its CAG role. Seems not fitted. Also difficult finding photos, like your 101, was lost soon after its MiG kill.

Nice start and a good one to follow along particularly with the speed you're working and attention to detail. I am very happy for you to take point.

Ray

• Thanks 1

OOOH, great choice and some excellent AM goodies to slide inside, that cockpit looks very busy. I'm not a fan of adding the u/c whilst building and before painting but with the A-7 as everything is white underneath, I may have to change my mind.

Great progresss.

Colin

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Still not 100% sure how I’ll mount the control surfaces, up or down. The wing will be in its raised position, I know that normally it’s down when parked and mostly the control surfaces are up. I want to give it a but of “life” so wing up, leading edge down, flaps 50:50???

Hi Rich, nice work on your build.  I'm pretty certain that I read that when the wing was raised, the flaps and leading edge slats were automatically lowered.

The only photos of F-8's with underwing pylons fitted have been toting air to ground weapons, never seen any air to air weapons or fuel tanks loaded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice start Rich.👍

The Wolfpack cockpit is a huge improvement over the kit one and looks to be a good fit too, the wing box is very nicely detailed too.

🇺🇦

thanks, I was so surprised just how nicely the Wolfpack cockpit fitted. Just cut out the none required bits, grind off some detail and it fits!!! Now try that with an Aires one!! 

19 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Rich,

I made that choice for mine in its CAG role. Seems not fitted. Also difficult finding photos, like your 101, was lost soon after its MiG kill.

Nice start and a good one to follow along particularly with the speed you're working and attention to detail. I am very happy for you to take point.

Ray

I really do love the colourful scheme (as many will know) but a Kill bird is also very interesting....guess I can leave the final decision right up to the decalling stage.

This model just falls together with really very little work, plus this is how I really build. Like to get all the different modules done.....bugger following instructions :D......... I mean what's the worse that can happen if you don't........ :whistle:

16 hours ago, heloman1 said:

OOOH, great choice and some excellent AM goodies to slide inside, that cockpit looks very busy. I'm not a fan of adding the u/c whilst building and before painting but with the A-7 as everything is white underneath, I may have to change my mind.

Great progresss.

Colin

thanks, the really cool thing with this model is the landing gear basically be left to last as it plugs into rubber grommets, super cool and nice feature. You HAVE to build one of these!

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Rich, nice work on your build.  I'm pretty certain that I read that when the wing was raised, the flaps and leading edge slats were automatically lowered.

The only photos of F-8's with underwing pylons fitted have been toting air to ground weapons, never seen any air to air weapons or fuel tanks loaded. 

Yeah I did read that the CAG (CAW??) bird only had pylon fitted when it was land based. I wonder if they were only fitted going to and coming from the carrier, that way they could carry those cargo pods/tank for their gear?? Is a though not seen photos of such fitted.

15 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Smart cockpit and seat, i prefer molded on belts on a resin seat, much better than pe

Arrr PE belts are Beelzebub's work!!! The paint/coating always comes off when you try to get them any sort  of natural fold, moulded resin aI agree are much better.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for an update, and I have to admit I have gotten a bit carried away with the build and haven’t taken too many photos of the progress.

Plus, I maybe building 3 other projects at the same time as well…

As of the last update I was ready to start painting, nothing to special.

The main gear bays will be just a wee bit grubby, I’ll do a wee bit more paint detailing in them but that will be it.

IMG_7911-L.jpg

IMG_7912-L.jpg

Similar with the wing box area…though I had a bit of a stuff up here, when gluing it in place it moved slightly towards the rear and now I have a lip on the front which shouldn’t be there. Once the CA cement dried that’s it!!!  :doh:  Least for the most part it’ll be hidden!

IMG_7910-L.jpg

The cockpit turned out quite nice, though I keep breaking of the ejection seat rails! Speaking of the seat, I haven’t been able to find the correct bang seat, so will just stick with the AM one.

IMG_7909-L.jpg

The whole fuselage went together quite nicely, a bit of filler/Mr Surface 500 was need here and there. Some of the panel lines needed to be redone as they were quite soft.

IMG_7913-L.jpg

She looks pretty good, I didn’t realize just how big she was, she’ll look great with my other USN aircraft.

IMG_7914-L.jpg

I should start painting her this week with any luck…..I need to get a move on with her and get her off the bench.

Ok the other current “bench hogs”/”photo-bombers”  :D …..

..the 8.8cm Flack 18 Selbstfahrafette

She was meant to be in the ½ Track GB, but got pushed aside, she’ll now be part of my club GB, so she needs to be done by July. Nice model.

IMG_7921-L.jpg

…….. the “Turd”, and even that’s being nice to it!!! A Trumpie 1/32nd MiG-21MF, having the plague would be more fun than building this model!!! But she is the base for my “Splinter MiG”. Again this is being built for one of my clubs GB’s, but she was originally for the “Go Large or Go Home GB”.

IMG_7902-L.jpg

IMG_7903-L.jpg

…an finally Eduard’s gorgeous F4F-4 Wildcat which is part of my “Tomcatters” SIG build. Such a lovely model to build, the detail is so fine, and the fit is perfect.

IMG_7918-L.jpg

IMG_7917-L.jpg

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to F-8E Crusader - VF-191 "Satan's Kittens" - don't pat the kitty!
17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I may have to invest in a WIldcat before too long. 

Thanks, you should as she's such a lovely model to build. easily up there with the best produced by Eduard.

• Like 1

Late to the party but enjoying it. You're doing a mighty neat and fine job, as always.

These resin upgrades are looking gorgeous.

Eager to see that one with some paint on.

Pat.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I had better update this build before I finish her!!!

A lot done on her (and the others, even started a new one) so much so the painting is almost complete, and I’ve upgraded the work bench/shelving as well!!!

Just some minor bits and pieces to go and then the gloss clear coat.

She was pretty much ready to paint last update, I just needed to clean up a few bits.

First off the usual squiggly panel-line work, then the white, FS.17875, for this I’m using AK’s Real Color lacquer, thinned right back it gives you such a smooth coat, plus it’s easy to control the depth. (I pretty much finished the painting before I took the photos…sorry)

IMG_7954-L.jpg

Next some masking and then the Light Gull Grey FS.16440, this time using Gunze’s C315, thinned similarly.

IMG_7955-L.jpg

I know the demarcation between the two colour should be soft, but looking at photos the demarcation looks to be quite thin so a hard line was easier to do. Looking at the final finish it is hard to tell.

Finally, some serious masking for the black, Gunze’s C033 Flat Black. I don’t know what the issue with this stuff but it doesn’t like to be thinned and seems to separate very easily! If you try to thin it in the bottle it doesn’t separate like most do but goes into a gloopy mess! It’s the 3rd of this stuff I tried, and they are all the same. With perseverance you can get a nice finish.

Ok, so here she is, super happy with the finish, in these photos there’s only a couple of tiny spots that need re-touching.

IMG_7957-L.jpg

IMG_7958-L.jpg

IMG_7959-L.jpg

IMG_7956-L.jpg

I have since re-touched up some of the white bits, finished the intake lip colour (unusually it’s black, only red on the CAG’s aircraft), and done the metallic bits.

IMG_7960-L.jpg

IMG_7961-L.jpg

The Sidewinders are almost done to, just the yellow strips to go.

All going well I hope to finish her this coming weekend.

Ok other stuff, my work area update, I blame Bosse  @Marlin  for this, mine was old and cramped and lack storage space. basically it was crap, so update was seriously needed, so before….

IMG_7922-L.jpg

….after, and I must say a huge improvement, have adjusted it further since this photo. Plenty of room to stash the huge models/boxes!

IMG_7924-L.jpg

The Wildcat is painted, very happy with the finish, already for the clear coat.

IMG_7963-L.jpg

IMG_7962-L.jpg

The MiG-21, done very little to her.

The Eduard F5F-5 Hellcat is under way….nowhere near as nice model as their Wildcat, it’s a bit of a pain to build, but I need it for the “Tomcatters SIG” builds.....

IMG_7965-L.jpg

....and yes there was a huge gap in the cowling when you fitted it to the fuselage, it needed a plastic strip spacer fit it to fit properly!!!

Plus the new Academy A-10C has found it’s way into the stash as long with (later in the year, just pre-ordered) Zoukei-Mura’s new 32nd Fw-190-A4!!! 🥰

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to F-8E Crusader - VF-191 "Satan's Kittens" - "god dam kitty!"

Very subtle painting on your F-8. Getting a thin coat of white on is something I always struggle with.

The Widcat is looking super nice too.

Don't know about Eduard's 1/48 Hellcat but their 1/72 one was a joy to build with extremely good fit.

Thanks for the update.

PS may we take bets at on how long "plenty of room to stash" shall hold? 😉

• Haha 1

Hi Rich,

Beautiful builds underway. Great paint finishes. The F-8 is coming together nicely.

I note the trouble you have with Mr Color C33. Interesting 🤔.  I have zero experience with this black. My go to black these days is just the undercoat itself - Gunze's Black 1500 Finishing Surfacer. Always have some pre-mix on hand and like the slightly off-black colour you get. Mind you, I'm trying to think of a Mr Color flat paint I've actually used. Just about everything being semi-gloss or gloss. I'm tempted to get some C33 just to see what happens.

Ray

• Thanks 1