M51 Israeli Sherman

Here is my Tamiya M51 built as a tank from the Six Day War (June 1967). Ariel Sharon, who would go on to become PM of Israel from 2001 to 2006, commanded an armored division from the turret of this tank, during the Battle of Abu Ageila in the Sainai. The Tamiya kit is very good, but has a few shortcomings. My main issue swith recent Tamiya Shermans are the seam line along the edge of the rubber track, the grab handles molded as tabs of plastic, and the the manufacturer's insistence that a sherman could be driven on instruments. They give you commander figures yelling orders into a radio, but then all vision periscopes, including the driver's, are closed. 

Modeling an open periscope requires only minor surgery, so I did that. But if you want open hatches with periscopes in them, you'll need to hit up your spares or the aftermarket. I also added some resin boxes from Value Gear, to the rear rack. The securing cable is this very fine rubber tubing I got lord knows when  where or how. I had this tank sitting in the almost finished pile for well over a year. I didn't really know how I wanted to weather it. After painting (Tamiya mixed colors), I applied some dark brown and dark greenish brown washes in something of a hybrid between a pinwash and a general wash. Perhaps a very sloppy pin wash. As the washes began to dry, I moved them around, dragging, streaking, and redepositing with brushed dipped in mineral spirits. This was followed with a very subtle drybrushing with Vallejo buff and deck tan.  I then applied a slurry of light earthen colored pigments suspended in a solution of water and white glue, to the undercarriage, and once dry, scrubbed most of it off with an old toothbrush. A few scratches were added with taps and quick swishes of a piece of stretched sprue dipped in thin black/brown paint. That's it.

Not my best armor model, but pretty good, considering I went from paint to finished in three nights. I was going to just paint the tyres as a break from my Hayate build. But then I just built up momentum, and here we are! 

PXL_20230317_001738034-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001752268-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001800500-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001829423-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001856032-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001911984-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_001537596-XL.jpg

PXL_20230317_002015339-XL.jpg

The tarp is tissue painted with Vallejo thinned in water mixed with white glue. Same with the camouflage netting, but that began as medical gauze
PXL_20230317_001605883-XL.jpg

I probably could have scraped off a bit more of my pigment paste
PXL_20230317_001632944-XL.jpg

closeup of one of my simple periscopes. Just a wedge of plastic covered by a little flat square to represent the lid. A tiny bit of stretched sprue in back, simulates the hinge. 
PXL_20230317_001653042-XL.jpg

Not thrilled with my mantlet canvas cover painting. I'm still working on fabric effects
PXL_20230317_001714532-XL.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

You've done a nice job on my favourite tank. It's a good kit for a starting point. A little bit of work and you can get a good model. Of the three available M51 kits, this is by far the best. At least they got the muzzle brake size correct. And IMO, there's nothing wrong with the mantlet canvas. It looks fine.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that's a nice build!  

I like the accessories and the weathering is superb ..... it certainly looks like it's been working hard! 

I'm with @Bullbasket regarding the canvas .... it looks fine.  👍

Keith  😁

• Thanks 1

Hi SoftScience. That really is an impressive result!! Your finish looks very convincing - and I agree with the others - the canvas looks like canvas material! Lovely job all round! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the likes and kind words. I wasn't feeling to confident about posting this one, but I guess I'm glad I did. One thing I caught from the photos is that I forgot to paint the radio aerial. That's been rectified since.

Hi SoftScience,

Despite all the problems, it is a beautiful model, with a very cool demeanor (that muzzle brake is incredible). You never know how others will react to someone else's work, I think it's a type of bet, sometimes we will win, other times not, not necessarily as we thought at first, that's why I think we should all be courteous and empathetic with something, with a lot of work and dedication behind it, that someone with enthusiasm wants to share. Good job!.

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1