Seafire F.XVII, no 714 NAS, Operational Flying Training Unit, Air Warfare School, St. Merryn, Cornwall, 1947.

Hi all

Been working on this delightful kit and now finished.  This is the Airfix 1/48 kit and it was a joy to put together, I know some say that there are shape issues but I struggled to see this in the nose area , I know the wing area needed some work, but with what I have on at the moment I did not want to get bogged down so all I did externally is use some Barracuda prop blades from the 5 bladed prop set they do.  The only other addition is an Eduard Seatbelt set.

The model was brushpainted in Humbrol enamels  . The kit decals laid and settled beautifully.   I did make one schoolboy error in getting one of the underwing serials on the wrong way, doh! Thankfully @MODeller, kindly came to the rescue with a replacement set, thank you Brian.

Thanks to those who have offered support and encouragement along the way too, itbis always very much appreciated.

Anyway enough waffle, here's some pics

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 61

Superb work Chris, this a really beautifully finished model  Your painting and weathering skills are second to none. All done with a hairy stick too! 

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Perfect!! 

Thank you 28ZComeback, that's very kind.

2 hours ago, twinpin said:

Fantastic.. Brilliant paintwork

Thanks twinpin, very kind too.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Chris,

Simply stunning.

The finish, the paint, the exhaust staining, the delightful weathering, it's all just utterly gorgeous.

:mike:

What can I say,

She's a beauty.

Cheers,

Alistair

Wow thanks Alistair,  really kind of you, pleased with it and have enjoyed so much have a pair of Seafires (a II and a III) cut off the sprues and ready to go alongside the Sea Hurricane and Nimrod, oh and a Corsair, but don't tell CC😉

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Superb work Chris, this a really beautifully finished model  Your painting and weathering skills are second to none. All done with a hairy stick too! 

Richie

Thanks Richie, really kind too, pleased with how it all came out, I do love a bit of TSS.  The brushwork is not as daunting as you may think, honest!!!

Thanks guys for your generous comments.

Chris

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MODeller said:

Excellent result!! I too found it a delightful kit to make but chose another colour scheme. May have to invest in another kit now!! MODeller

Thanks Brian and thanks for helping me with the decals, very much appreciated.   Oooooo yes another one, sounds good, if I didn't have too many kits already, would consider the same too, SWMBO would not be happy 🙄

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That is simply beautiful Chris, a really stunning model with your signature amazing brush painting and weathering! Really enjoyed watching this brilliant Seafire come together in your build thread! 

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

SWMBO would not be happy

Hmm, mine is like that these days too, just don't understand us, do they.....??!! 🤣

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

Another lovely project completed, Chris 👍

With your mastery of brush techniques, I can't see an obvious way airbrushing could have added anything more to the result.

Thanks WP, what a cracking kit, a real pleasure to build and can recommend this one.  I find the brush painting very relaxing and recommend giving it a go, I have not used an airbrush yet though I now do have one, just don't have time to practice really.  I like the fact I don't have to do any masking, well rarely.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's a cracker!

Thanks Pete, very kind fella.

1 hour ago, CJP said:

What a great job you have done on your Seafire 17! - the refined prop blades and refinements look fabulous - I really admire your brush painted finish

CJP

Thanks CJP, very kind too, the blades do look much better than the kit ones.  I have had lots of practice with a brush as never used an airbrush yet.  I have not had anywhere tk airbrush due to mancave locations over the years being close to the kids bedrooms etc so have always used a brush.

1 hour ago, rodenlee said:

You've done a beautiful job indeed.  How do you get such a soft demarcation line between camouflage colours using a brush?  

Cheers

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, it's  not at all difficult to achieve the soft demarcation lines, I paint with enamels and use an old knackered brush that's quite thin and a good portion is clogged with old paint.  Take a small amount of paint and paint just inside the line you want to take and then when you have gone about an inch to inch and a half go back to the beginning and start to gently scrub the brush along the line moving back and forth and slightly side to side and you start to create a fuzzy line as the paint is drying along the line , the trick is not to have to much paint at the start and then  always start to fuzzy it at the beginning as it is starting to go off.

It takes some practice but it is a great feeling when you achieve it.  I fill in the rest of the colour between the lines after they are completed with slightly thinned enamel on a larger flat brush.

Hope that helps, give it a go.

18 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is simply beautiful Chris, a really stunning model with your signature amazing brush painting and weathering! Really enjoyed watching this brilliant Seafire come together in your build thread! 

Hmm, mine is like that these days too, just don't understand us, do they.....??!! 🤣

Keith

Thanks Keith, very kind of you.  Got another couple of earlier Seafires coming up too using the Tamiya Vb kits and MDC conversions. 

The domestic authorities certainly don't understand us, fortunately we have ways to get round that😉:whistle: Such as the "Oh I have had that one for ages dear". Or the Raffle ticket trick, "Look what I've won dear":wicked:

Thanks guys, really appreciate your kindness.

Chris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chris,

That's a lovely finish and one of your best paintjobs yet. Lovely work mate - well done!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That's a lovely finish and one of your best paintjobs yet. Lovely work mate - well done!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger  really kind fella. Very pleased with how it turned out and looking forward to the next Seafires now .

Chris

• Like 2

It is hard to believe you finished this kit with a hairy stick only.  The painting and weathering are just so well done.  Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Stunning! 

Thanks Ben , very kind.

2 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Absolutely brilliant result! I'm always impressed with the finish you get, and even more so with the feathering between camouflage colours.

Thanks John it's not as hard as you think, honest,  I always find tge painting the most enjoyable bit.

40 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

It is hard to believe you finished this kit with a hairy stick only.  The painting and weathering are just so well done.  Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks George, I find it very relaxing and although it does take longer than airbrushing it is very satisfying trying to achieve similar results to what you skilled airbrushes can achieve, now airbrushing sounds scary to me !!!

Thanks for you kind comments

Chris

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks George, I find it very relaxing and although it does take longer than airbrushing it is very satisfying trying to achieve similar results to what you skilled airbrushes can achieve, now airbrushing sounds scary to me !!!

Thanks for you kind comments

Chris

Don't worry.  Airbrushing is still scary to me also.  I keep trying, but it always seems to get the best of me.

• Like 1

Superb Seafire and as a fellow brush painter I echo the comments above, truly inspiring.

As I live within spitting distance of St Merryn I truly wish I had been here back in the forties and fifties, it must have been a spotters paradise. 

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Don't worry.  Airbrushing is still scary to me also.  I keep trying, but it always seems to get the best of me.

I have recently been kindly gifted a compressor and Airbrush by a kindly BMer but have not had a chance to try it and nervous about trying it!!! When the weather improves I might get a chance to give it a go.

2 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Superb Seafire and as a fellow brush painter I echo the comments above, truly inspiring.

As I live within spitting distance of St Merryn I truly wish I had been here back in the forties and fifties, it must have been a spotters paradise. 

Dave

Thanks Dave , very kind of you .  Oh wow, you can imagine the lovely sights and sounds. That would have been amazing.

Chris

• Like 1

Delightful Seafire Chris !!

Domestic authorities huh ?? I know it too well too....:whistle::whistle:

Turning the Vb into seafires great deal too, The MDC kit is really well engineered !!

I'm still in awe seeing your brush painting skills !!

Wonderful job my friend.. I really love it !!

And for the car.... Deutsch qualitat is no longer what it used to be......

Guess how I know it ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Delightful Seafire Chris !!

Domestic authorities huh ?? I know it too well too....:whistle::whistle:

Turning the Vb into seafires great deal too, The MDC kit is really well engineered !!

I'm still in awe seeing your brush painting skills !!

Wonderful job my friend.. I really love it !!

And for the car.... Deutsch qualitat is no longer what it used to be......

Guess how I know it ???

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, very kind of you fella, pleased with this Seafire.

Looking forward to getting the MDC conversions done too, they certainly look good and the fit so far is good.

Yes shame about the car bits, had to adapt some bits to get round it.

Thanks fella

Chris

• Thanks 1