Aegean Airlines Airbus A320 in 1/144

My latest European “flag carrier” model is the Revell A320 finished as SX-DVS of Aegean Airlines circa 2017.

The model is the second of a pair I built from the Lufthansa issue of the Revell kit. The first was finished in Iran Air livery and posted in RFI last year. I won’t repeat my views on the state of the kit beyond saying that it was a case of bashing it into shape rather than building it.

Paint is Halfords Appliance Gloss White and Holts HL Grey 01 with Revell Aqua 374 representing the Aeroflex on the upper wings. The grey lower fuselage is Mr Hobby H417, bizarrely described on the jar as “light blue”.  Metallics are by Revell and Tamiya.

Decals are by Nazca with Authentic Airliners windows and details from the kit sheet. The original plan was to model SX-DVV which carries the image of a large sculpted head advertising the Acropolis Museum. Unfortunately the decal for the head had a strange, unrealistic bluish cast. A replacement sheet was no better so I left the head off and the model became plain old SX-DVS instead, slightly disappointing but problems with Nazca decals aren’t exactly unknown and I always have a Plan B when I’m using them.

Thanks for looking and constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

52753273746_71e5ddfb18_b.jpg

52753518044_2789340538_b.jpg

52753517934_fd34b3cef4_b.jpg

52753273391_8bede8b525_b.jpg

Posing with a representative of the previous Greek flag carrier - the Hasegawa YS-11 with Classic Airlines Olympic decals

52752761262_a2996ece4a_b.jpg

• Like 37

Thanks Chris.  I have had so many problems with Nazca decals over the years that at one point I pretty much gave up on them. That said, when they are good they are very good and the range does cover some interesting and unusual liveries like the Bamboo Airlines B787-9 and the Eveolp A350-900 both of which are on my future builds list.

On 17/03/2023 at 15:32, Skodadriver said:

it was a case of bashing it into shape rather than building it.

Quote of the day Dave 😀, gave me a good laugh!

Beautiful model as always, with a flawless finish. Thanks for the paint references for Revell Aqua 374 & Mr Hobby H417. they look really good so I'll keep an eye out for some.

I love the YS-11 as well, one of the classic schemes of the 60's/70's.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Very neat build of the good old Revell A320.

It was really time,that Revell stopped production of that kit,it became quite awful qualitywise.

A superb result and a nice subject.

Aegean is a frequent visitor to our local airport,so its nice to see it in modelform.👍

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1

Awesome models! It is surprising for me to see how much realism it is added (in addition to all the rest), by modelling the window curtains randomly posed!

Great,

Dan

• Like 1

Really REALLY nice work, Dave, just as usual. The Aegean livery on the Airbus is quite tasteful and eye catching and you’ve done a smart job in completing a very classy airliner. I have a couple A320s in my stash yet to be assembled; seeing this is inspiring. Love the YS-11 alongside. The classic along with the modern is so refreshing. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone, much appreciated as always. :)

On 3/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, Alex1978 said:

Aegean is a frequent visitor to our local airport,so its nice to see it in modelform.👍

Thanks Alex. Aegean is also a regular visitor to Edinburgh although the old livery is becoming rarer. I really like their new livery and if I live long enough it should eventually turn up on an A320 Neo.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, Dstream said:

Awesome models! It is surprising for me to see how much realism it is added (in addition to all the rest), by modelling the window curtains randomly posed!

Great,

Dan

Thanks Dan. That's the magic of Authentic Airliners window decals - arguably the best single development in airliner modelling in the last 20 years!

Dave G

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Malair said:

Wow! What a fantastic build. I like it a lot.

That Ys-11 build is alo very nice. Is that the Hasegawa kit?

Thanks Martijn. Yes, the YS-11 is Hasegawa. It's a nice model and an easy build. I have another one in the stash which I hope to do in Mey-Air colours eventually.

Dave