SAAB 39-2 Gripen

Orso

39-2_01.JPG

While building the Revell JAS 39C Gripen in the GB, I was inspired to restart on some shelf queens as well. First a conversion of the Italeri JAS 39A kit in to the second protoype.
The second prototype had an analogue instrument setup for the tests so I had made a new instrument panel for it.

39-2_02.JPG

When I left the build years ago I was planning for the parachute installation (at least what I think it is). 
I have glued a piece of sprue and some plastic pieces to stabilize it while building. 

39-2_03.JPG

This is the the configuration for the spin tests. I wanted to build the equipment as it will alter the look of the plane. 

39-2_04.JPG

• Like 4

39-2_09.JPGI decided to cut masks for the canopy and do multiple copies for the rest of the kits so I got it ready for paint.

Inspired by the red door of Rolling Stones I painted it

39-2_10.JPG

Every detail disappears in to that black.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

39-2_13.JPG

This plane is very close to land in the garbage bin. I was going to add decals and I have decals from the KP kit that I was going to use. But I don't like the colour of the day-glow triangles for the wings as they are just dark red.  So I tried to use three different day-glow decals that I have. None of them work. They shatter and/or give unsharp edges. Then I tried paint. Water based, alcohol based and finally an enamel but with awful results. Now I am trying to remove the enamel that just is a a sticky goo but it doesn't look like it will be a good result. It is probably easier and faster to build a new kit or perhaps scrap it and skip the prototype..

39-2_14.JPG

But it was impossible to remove the Humbrol, it just smeared out and stuck even harder so I had to sand all of the paint off.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

39-2_15.JPG

Next I tried paint from AK. painting orange of course gave orange peel finish.

39-2_16.JPG

That could be polished out and a new coat of black came next.

39-2_17.JPG

No large catastrophe was hiding under the tape. Time for decals (if I can find them)

• Like 3