Monogram's 1:48 Mirage 2000 (what if Fuerza Aérea Argentina)

Argentina has a long history with Dassault aircraft. The first Mirage IIIEAs were bought new in the 1970s, and the Sùper Ètendards were added to the Navy's inventory in 1980. During the Falklands War, with the need to replace the lost Daggers and EAs, Perú sent their Mirage VPs.

In 2015, Argentina retired the Mirage family, ending a total of 45 years of supersonic aviation in the country. 

The Mirage 2000 was one of the many options offered together with the Korean, Indian, Russian, Chinese and Pakistani and US designs. The French and US aircraft are out of the question because of the embargo applied by Britain to British made components. This didn't stop the presidency of Mauricio Macri to buy five Sùper Ètendard Modernisè, which are currently stored because, you guessed it, the seats lack the explosive charges to blow the canopy in case of pilot ejection, made by Britain.

This build will be a what could have been if Argentina had bought the Mirage 2000. The chosen kit is the Monogram 1:48 model, a new tool model from 1982, and reboxed several times, even by Hasegawa. The model faithfully represents the prototype aircraft without the refuelling probe ln the nose. The kit comes with two Exocet missiles and two Matra missiles. 

I'll be using a decal set from Aerocalcas, taking the eagle head. Roundels and numerals will come from Dukel and Condor Decals's sheets.

Don't let the small box fool you, it's a decently sized aircraft in 1:48.

oq34WY2.jpeg

X7cElAQ.jpeg

rumZazK.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

low viz camo

I was actually thinking on the French light blue/light grey camouflage with the eagle head and some roundels and numerals. I like my models to have distinctive markings, and having only four main decals aside from the warning signs doesn't really appeal to me.

26 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I like my models to have distinctive markings,

How about some Falkands A-4 style yellow or turquoise theatre markings then? ;)

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

How about some Falkands A-4 style yellow or turquoise theatre markings then? ;)

Cheers,

Andre

I actually stumbled upon this rendering for a flight sim:

SoaUjAj.jpeg

The bands wouldn't work. This aircraft will be post Falklands. I'm also not really convinced on the SEA camo either. I have the decals though. It'd be either 6th or 8th Fighter Group. The first one carried the Eagle Head, and the latter the Mirage symbol on the empennage.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2

I had finally some time after uni to start the Mirage. Here you can see the cockpit glued to the left fuselage half. Weight was also added, just to be sure.

zwuIdPS.jpeg

• Like 1

With everything filled and sanded, it was time to paint the plane. Some of you may be aware of the FAA's Mirage IIIEA I-003. This aircraft was a testbed for a single colour camouflage scheme of light blue uppers and light grey lower surfaces. Well, I decided to go this route and paint my 2000 in this scheme.

RK2yxPH.jpeg

w4MNFX4.jpeg

• Like 1

Decals on. The Condor Decals decals worked fine, but were a bit off register. I used some spare numerals to make this plane as I-012 of Grupo 8 de Caza. The speedbrakes were painted red.

IDTqQYX.jpeg

PzeR2jW.jpeg

• Like 1