Sending Personal Messages (PMs) within the forum

Mike

If you're not used to how to send other members of the forum individual messages that will only be read by them and not the rest of the forum, this is how to do it.

1. Click/tap on the little envelope icon in the top right of the forum page.
  2. Choose Compose New.
  3. Complete the To box  with the name of the member(s) you want to talk to, pressing tab if you're sending a message to more than one.  This must be correctly spelt for them to receive it, and the forum will suggest names based on what you've typed already.
  4. Complete the Subject box with a brief description of what you wanted to talk to them about.
  5. Type all your verbiage in the Message box in the usual polite & respectful manner, and remember to sign it with your real name, as I for one like to talk to real people rather than silly user names.
  6. Click/Tap Send once you're happy with your missive, remembering that it's a good idea to re-read anything you type to cut down on spelling mistakes and to see whether it could be misinterpreted, thereby causing offence.
  7. Wait for a response, and choose Reply if you get one and you're not done talking.

If you get a response, just click/tap on the message in your Notification list, and it will take you there.  To reply, see No.7 :)

On my Android phone the envelope icon isn't on the main screen. I need to first click on the menu icon, then it appears. Alternatively, clicking on the user name takes you to their profile and that has a very prominent envelope icon.

Andy

6 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

On my Android phone the envelope icon isn't on the main screen. I need to first click on the menu icon, then it appears. Alternatively, clicking on the user name takes you to their profile and that has a very prominent envelope icon.

Andy

That's the downside of the "responsive" design of modern forum software.  It finds out what kind of device you're using, whether it's a desktop/laptop, tablet or phone, and responds by changing how the forum looks and to a lesser extent how it behaves.  Smaller devices have an extra step that starts with the hamburger menu button.  That's the industry way to describe that three-layered icon that brings up the menu.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:01 PM, Mike said:

That's the industry way to describe that three-layered icon that brings up the menu.

I grew up with smartphones calling it the 'three hotdogs' menu, and it's kind of stuck with me 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:53 PM, Mike said:

If you're not used to how to send other members of the forum individual messages that will only be read by them and not the rest of the forum, this is how to do it.

1. Click/tap on the little envelope icon in the top right of the forum page.
  2. Choose Compose New.
  3. Complete the To box  with the name of the member(s) you want to talk to, pressing tab if you're sending a message to more than one.  This must be correctly spelt for them to receive it, and the forum will suggest names based on what you've typed already.
  4. Complete the Subject box with a brief description of what you wanted to talk to them about.
  5. Type all your verbiage in the Message box in the usual polite & respectful manner, and remember to sign it with your real name, as I for one like to talk to real people rather than silly user names.
  6. Click/Tap Send once you're happy with your missive, remembering that it's a good idea to re-read anything you type to cut down on spelling mistakes and to see whether it could be misinterpreted, thereby causing offence.
  7. Wait for a response, and choose Reply if you get one and you're not done talking.

If you get a response, just click/tap on the message in your Notification list, and it will take you there.  To reply, see No.7 :)

I am trying to message a member here, but do not see the envelope icon that is referrred to in the opening post.  What am I missing?  Has something changed?

What're you using to try this?  PC, Tablet or Phone?  It does differ a little bit, which can be frustrating when I'm trying to help people :rolleyes:

• On the PC, the envelope is in the top right.
  • On Phone/Tablet* the envelope is hidden in the Menu icon, which is a triple horizontal line, known colloquially as the burger button IIRC.

* Some larger tablets such as my iPad Pro 12.9" seem to default to the PC-style format, and it makes sense because of the available real-estate being about the same as a small laptop.

15 minutes ago, Wm Blecky said:

I am trying to message a member here, but do not see the envelope icon that is referred to in the opening post.  What am I missing?  Has something changed?

How are you accessing the site?

From a computer screen?

From a tablet style computing device?

Or from a mobile (cell) phone?

Nothing has changed, the methodology to access the messaging system changes depending on what computing device you are using to access the site?

(Mike literally posted at the same time as I was replying! @Mike nice to know I'm not the only geek around here that was thinking the same thing...:thumbsup:)

4 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

nice to know I'm not the only geek around here that was thinking the same thing...:thumbsup:)

It used to be worse.  They had different icons for some things on the Phone version.  I remember mentioning it to them, but couldn't tell you when it changed, as I just kind of do it automatically, usually half asleep :zombie:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I tried to message someone earlier today and the forum said he couldn't receive message’s. Does that mean he’s blocked incoming messages or is his mailbox full ? 

Could be either, or all of the above.  Members that have left as banned or frozen also can't be messaged.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What is the best way to make space in the mailbox? Deleting whole conversations only seems to free up 1% space. Is there a way to delete individual messages from conversations?

You can delete individual messages by clicking/tapping on the three dots (ellipsis) and choosing Delete. It’s pretty time consuming if you decide to go on a rampage though. I’d just bin off conversations as a whole. The amount of space freed up will depend on how many messages were in that conversation, of course :) 

I only get Report or Share when I press the 3 dots (or edit for my own messages)? No delete option as far as I can see.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

I only get Report or Share when I press the 3 dots (or edit for my own messages)? No delete option as far as I can see.

Are you getting confused with forum posts as opposed to personal messages which is what is discussed here? Forum posts will only have report/share/edit depending on who/why it's being accessed via the dots. 

I have noticed that individual messages don't seem to be able to be deleted, yet message threads can be (via a mobile device at least). Maybe this is the problem?

I just get that for personal messages. I can delete whole conversations but in the past I have been able to delete individual messages from conversations. It frees up plenty of space without losing the whole thread. Maybe that was an older forum format.

Edited by Glen

Not on this forum. The PM limit is 100 PM's, whether that is 100 single posts or multiple posts in each PM, it doesn't matter.

On 3/9/2024 at 9:22 AM, Greg B said:

The PM limit is 100 PM's, whether that is 100 single posts or multiple posts in each PM, it doesn't matter.

G'day, I didn't know there was a limit. I don't know how many I've done over the years I've been a member. If I delete some PMs will that free up and allow more in future? The purpose of some PMs that I've done often are to deal with an immediate issue and probably will never be needed again. Is it a good idea or desirable that some of those PMs from way back get deleted? Regards, Jeff.

Up to you, if you don't free up space, once you reach 100 conversations, you cant receive new messages.

• Thanks 1