Minion's Ex Marine Mud Moving Machine, Now A Sundowner With Teeth!

Second you say? Well yes as I built a Monogram one for the Bomber/Ground Attack GB last year which was a thoroughly enjoyable build and GB with one exception, the old Monogram decals I had for a VMF(AW)235 machine with the red bands and stars just would not conform to the kit so I had to go with my second choice of VMF(AW) 232 (Red Devils) as there were no decals available for 235. So as you can imagine as soon as it was announced that Hobby 2000 were going to release a boxing of the Hasegawa F-8E with USMC markings that included an option from 235 I wasted no time in ordering one which arrived in due course;

spacer.png

Got to love that scheme!

Just to prove that I somehow resisted the temptation to get stuck in straight away here are the contents all still sealed in the original plastic bags;

spacer.png

And a closer look at the option I will be building;

spacer.png

And some aftermarket extras for her;

spacer.png

I may yet get a bit more aftermarket as one of the arming options I am looking at involves a TER under each wing with 4 Mk.82 Snakeye's on it and I'm not sure if I have any of these in my spares or in other kits, another option is to just have an LAU-3 rocket pod under each wing with the aerodynamic cap fitted, either way we can't have the A-7's taking all the mud moving glory can we?

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Second you say? Well yes as I built a Monogram one for the Bomber/Ground Attack GB last year which was a thoroughly enjoyable build and GB with one exception, the old Monogram decals I had for a VMF(AW)235 machine with the red bands and stars just would not conform to the kit so I had to go with my second choice of VMF(AW) 232 (Red Devils) as there were no decals available for 235. So as you can imagine as soon as it was announced that Hobby 2000 were going to release a boxing of the Hasegawa F-8E with USMC markings that included an option from 235 I wasted no time in ordering one which arrived in due course;

Got to love that scheme!

Just to prove that I somehow resisted the temptation to get stuck in straight away here are the contents all still sealed in the original plastic bags;

And a closer look at the option I will be building;

spacer.png

And some aftermarket extras for her;

spacer.png

I may yet get a bit more aftermarket as one of the arming options I am looking at involves a TER under each wing with 4 Mk.82 Snakeye's on it and I'm not sure if I have any of these in my spares or in other kits, another option is to just have an LAU-3 rocket pod under each wing with the aerodynamic cap fitted, either way we can't have the A-7's taking all the mud moving glory can we?

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

Oooh! Lots of stars and add-ons. Like it!

Cheers.

Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Oooh! Lots of stars and add-ons. Like it!

Cheers.

Pat

20 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice of kit and markings Craig. The Hasegawa Crusader’s a great kit.

Will follow with interest. 

James 

Thanks Pat and James, always a pleasure to have you fine gentlemen along for the ride.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 3

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Reskit have bought out some lovely detailed TER's and MER's.  The main thing with their MER's is that they are the correct length, the Eduard and Aires ones are too short,you only notice when you try to hang some bombs on and they will not all fit.  I may be tempted to hang a pair of Bullpup missiles on. :hmmm:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Reskit have bought out some lovely detailed TER's and MER's.  The main thing with their MER's is that they are the correct length, the Eduard and Aires ones are too short,you only notice when you try to hang some bombs on and they will not all fit.  I may be tempted to hang a pair of Bullpup missiles on. :hmmm:

Thanks for that Bob, and I should have said MER's not TER's in my intro.

Will be good to see a pair of Bullpups on your build, not something you see very often.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Will be good to see a pair of Bullpups on your build, not something you see very often.

I have some Eduard resin ones that would look good, they were not a popular weapon to use as the aircraft had to loiter near the target to guide the missile.  A dangerous thing to do in the skies over Vietnam.  A cheaper option than buying some TER's and Mk 82 snakeye bombs would be a couple of Mk 84 2,000Lb bombs. :idea:

• Like 2

Welcome with another solid choice Craig. I turned mine into a Marine bomb-truck as well. Mine had Mk.84’s and two barreled Zuni pods instead of sidewinder's. Mine was a sister squadron BTW, VMF(aw)232. Much like this Photo. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VMF_(AW)-232_F-8E_Crusader_launches_from_Da_Nang_Air_Base_for_a_ground_support_mission.jpg

4SWD5D2.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

A cheaper option than buying some TER's and Mk 82 snakeye bombs would be a couple of Mk 84 2,000Lb bombs. :idea:

I went with the 2,000lb option on my previous build (its in the inspiration gallery) but using a WWII era bomb which is about as aerodynamicly different from an F-8 as you can get but I have seen pictures of them in use in Vietnam.

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome with another solid choice Craig. I turned mine into a Marine bomb-truck as well. Mine had Mk.84’s and two barreled Zuni pods instead of sidewinder's. Mine was a sister squadron BTW, VMF(aw)232.

Cheers Dennis, your build looks very similar to my previous Monogram one, very nice work mate.

🇺🇦

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I went with the 2,000lb option on my previous build (its in the inspiration gallery) but using a WWII era bomb which is about as aerodynamicly different from an F-8 as you can get but I have seen pictures of them in use in Vietnam

Yes in 1966-67 there was a munition shortage and they were using stockpiles of old bombs from WW2 & Korea. It was why the U.S.S.Forrestal went up like a tinderbox in 1967. I did my BlackSheep A-4 with WW2 500 lb bombs. 

• Like 2

Nice choice craig, still a really good kit isn't  it ,i have the mig killer boxing from hobby 2000, with quite a lot of resin too , I'll  hopefully get the mirage over the line in the not too distant future and join in over here 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

Nice choice craig, still a really good kit isn't  it ,i have the mig killer boxing from hobby 2000, with quite a lot of resin too , I'll  hpopfully get the mirage over the line in the not too distant future and join in over here 

Cheers Glynn, yes its still a very good kit and still the best 1/48 F-8, can you believe its 20 years old!

Would be great to have you join in mate and it sounds like you have all you need for a cracking model.

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Glynn, yes its still a very good kit and still the best 1/48 F-8, can you believe its 20 years old!

I can, and its been a big chunk of that since i built it in its hasegawa boxing, I've  looked through the sprues and the molds have stood up really well, i aim to do a better job this time round though🤭

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

nice choice Craig, I didn't know this was a Hasegawa re-box!

Looking forward to this one.

Thanks mate, always a pleasure to have you along for a build.

Yes its Hasegawa plastic with the only addition being a set of masks, and the very nice decal sheet.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2023 at 08:42, modelling minion said:

and the very nice decal sheet.

Someone built this kit and they commented that the ventral strake decals have the stars upside down.  Looking at the box image I have to agree, it shouldn't be too difficult to just paint the strakes red and then trim and invert the star decals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Someone built this kit and they commented that the ventral strake decals have the stars upside down.  Looking at the box image I have to agree, it shouldn't be too difficult to just paint the strakes red and then trim and invert the star decals.

Bugger! They are the wrong way around, thanks for pointing that out Bob.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

What a daft error 

Somewhat, but actually the box art has the stars correct, it's just the decals and the guide that have the strake stars upside down. :shrug:

Shouldn't be too difficult to sort things out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Somewhat, but actually the box art has the stars correct, it's just the decals and the guide that have the strake stars upside down. :shrug:

Shouldn't be too difficult to sort things out.

It will mean trying to match the red used in the decals to paint the strake and trying to not show an edge of decal where they have to be cut to be placed correctly, has every possibility of ending up like a dog's dinner in my hands.

🇺🇦

• Haha 2

It will mean trying to match the red used in the decals to paint the strake and trying to not show an edge of decal where they have to be cut to be placed correctly, has every possibility of ending up like a dog's dinner in my hands.

Just think how satisfying it will be when it turns out brilliantly done, we know you can do it Craig.

• Like 2

Well I have been slowly plodding along with this build and have made some progress but I will say right now that this is not going to be one of my best models as I am going through one of those modelling times where everything I touch turns to poo and for some reason I am unable to do things that I have been able to do for years, this is probably not helped by the decals with the stars for the ventral strakes have been printed upside down and I am unsure about how to rectify that and get a good result. Anyway after some self inflicted trials and tribulations I have got to this stage;

spacer.png

Pretty much ready to join the fuselage halves together. I am building this OOTB with the exception of a Quickboost seat, I did buy an Eduard etched set for it but can't see much improvement over what is supplied in the kit after a bit of drybrushing and the resin seat has all the harnesses moulded on which look much better than PE does. The cockpit tub looks like this at the minute;

spacer.png

The main wheel well is quite well detailed, nothing like as good as the resin ones being used by some but not bad at all and after some primer followed by Halfords Appliance Gloss White from a rattle can and when dry some dark dirt from Flory models and it looks like this;

spacer.png

I may add some more lines from wire and will probably add the brake lines to the gear legs, which have also been painted.

The main wing parts have been joined too, even this was more trouble than it should have been as I forgot to fit the poly caps so had to prise them apart at the rear to get them fitted.

Thats it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

🇺🇦

• Like 8