Admirals Barge Magna 1/48

Hi Chaps,

I have a few kits to enter into this GB. I plan to enter this rather large resin kit which has been in the stash for a few years. 

My plan is to build it in the colours of a Royal Navy admirals barge but this is dependant on sourcing suitable decals since the kit provides only black lettering wheras white would be more useful.

Here's what you get in the box.

4 double sided A4 sheets of instructions, the above mentioned decals.... 

IMG_20230314_115619492

and a huge pile of resin with a white metal under carriage and propeller blades. The kit contains a full interior with a nice single piece cockpit,  10'business class" seats and optional radar consols for use as a trainer. I'm not sure if anything will be visible through the windows with their non existant glazing but I'll give it a go.

IMG_20230314_115527569_HDR

Colin

• Like 8

Looks like an interesting project Colin.  Seeing the title, I did assume a small boat - not the first time I've made wrong assumptions thsi build.

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

My plan is to build it in the colours of a Royal Navy admirals barge but this is dependant on sourcing suitable decals since the kit provides only black lettering wheras white would be more useful.

Think Xtradecal might make something suitable? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

A brilliant choice Colin.  Hopefully the white metal u/c will be up to the job of supporting all that resin :winkgrin:.

That's a disturbingly good point, maybe time for an in-flight version? but where's the fun in that!

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 6:26 AM, CliffB said:

A brilliant choice Colin.  Hopefully the white metal u/c will be up to the job of supporting all that resin :winkgrin:.

This is a fair point as the last kg lump of resin I fashioned into an aeroplane was the Gannet AEW for which the resin undercarriage was totally unsuitable,  even though it was made deliberately over scale. I'm quite adept at building my own now but the inclusion here is most welcome. 

• Like 2

Not much progress posted on here yet as I've been cleaning up parts and removing pour stubs and flash.  Ive made a start on the windows so that will determine whether I spend time building the interior.

IMG_20230324_094729292_HDR

• Like 7

I thought the box top was a bit more visible than it is @rob Lyttle. Its a Percival Sea Prince which is just the Navy version of the Prince. Here is the RAF version at Cosford in 2021. There are 2 at the South Wales air Museum although one (XL929) was crated for transport so it might not be there much longer) one at Cosford, others at Gatwick, Flixton and one in Thailand at the Bangkok Air Museum. Google advises there are 7 around the UK in total plus one in the USA and the Thai one but interestingly XL929 is not listed so there might be 8+2. 

I was tempted to make the Thai one but it has a glass nose and that would be a lot of work from this kit as the nose is a solid block of resin from the windscreen forwards.

IMG_7926

Here's a proper Sea Prince at Gatwick in 2013.

IMG_5192

I have been doing the windows which is quite a slow process but almost done now.

Edited by Colin W
added 2nd picture
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've not posted much on here for a whil but I have been working on the window glazing for the last 3 weeks using a very slow process. This is now done to an acceptable standard so hopefully progress will now bea bit quicker.

IMG_20230407_081102385

• Like 7

Fuselage halves now joined with epoxy and after a few days to harden I glued a patch of 0.040" plastic card to the lower port side to try and get the halves to roughly the same shape. Once dry I leveled it up with milliput and took some serious action to get it under control. Just incase anyone has never built a large resin kit you need to act tough like this. I might get the power sander out once the wings are on but I managed the first cut with a file.

IMG_20230412_153242755

IMG_20230412_152804222_HDR

The lead filled nose can go on next.

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress on this as I have been distracted by the DH Beaver (in the back ground) and an Airfix Jaguar for our club group build over the last few months.

Well the heavy work was completed and the wings attached using the trust jig. The fit and socket joint is excellent and alignment was pretty good too. I pinned the tail with 1mm brass but the wings were ok as they were. I used epoxy glue to ensure time to get alignment.

IMG_20230413_113710787_HDR

Up to date now the canopy has been cut and fitted, the engines added and all the joints attended to. Some filling behind the canopy is required but well on the way. The engines were very good. Not much detail but the external fit was great and the air intakes being cast separately made fitting very easy.

IMG_20230505_130845028

• Like 8

Well this should stand out in a display of Royal Navy aircraft. It's the first "Emerald Green" model in the cabinette as well.

8 coats of filler and Mr Surfacer on the front fuselage to build it up to the level of the canopy. Undercarriage is started so only the props to start.

IMG_20230511_172952689

• Like 8

On 5/20/2023 at 5:45 AM, CliffB said:

Looking good and apparently not a tail-sitter.  What's the secret Colin?

Cheers

Well this on is easy, The large fuselage gives plenty of space and the white metal undercarriage can take it. The nose was also drilled out with 4x 1/2" drilled holes which were packed with 1/2" fishing weights.

I had time yesterday to start on the final details. The polished engine cowls and spinners were masked and sprayed with Alclad then the de-icing boots were masked and painted. When these had dried I started the decals. Main roundals and Navy titles went on well.

IMG_20230520_2

And got the props painted

IMG_20230520_201056511

• Like 7

Very nice Colin, as said before the green makes a nice change. Those black and white props will suit it very well. 

• Thanks 1

Interestingly the one in the RAF Museum at Cosford (abd the DH Devon next to it) has the same pattern on the props but with red in place of the black!

Well with the props fitted, decals done and the aerials added I reckon this is done. Main article in the gallery but a  few more pictures here.

IMG_20230526_134101931

IMG_20230526_134124803

IMG_20230526_134214318

Cheers

Colin

• Like 9