1:72 AZ Model Nakajima Kikka

Drat, missed getting a seat on page 1 I think............... still I'm here now!

Great subject Bill, and a pretty "rare" choice I'd say.

Love that seat.

Terry

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr T said:

8It was orginly published in 1970, a new edition in 1979 and my copy is a reprint from 1987, which I bought around that time.

I found a copy of the 1970 edition on-line and ordered it. Looks like a great resource.

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Drat, missed getting a seat on page 1 I think............... still I'm here now!

Thanks Terry. Not much happened on page 1, so you didn't miss much.      :)

A few splashes of IJN Dark Green, some Eduard seat belts, and a rather crude rapid attempt at highlighting some wear and tear with a silver pencil - and here we are at the moment:

IMG_6809

IMG_6811

IMG_6810

I hate these magnified photos, especially when they show the insides of a short run fuselage. But still, it looks better in real life and none of this will be even remotely visible once everything is closed up. You can see that I've added some ballast to the nose to prevent tail-setting. There is some Liquid Gravity at the very front, and then a bunch of BBs. I painted the BBs flat black in the off chance you could see them once every thing is together.

I finished the instrument panel, but only put part of the gunsight on. The gunsight also has a crosshair sighting target and two combining glasses. These are staying off until the end so I don't knock them off and have them disappear into the aether.

IMG_6813

Luckily, the cockpit floor and seat, along with the instrument panel, can be installed after the fuselage halves are together. The bottom of the floor makes up part of the main gear bays so installing it this way will really help with alignment. If I can tear myself away from little Dexter and his Hot Wheels raceway tomorrow, I'll be closing things up. Ta for now.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 17

She be a putty queen - I'll be filling and sanding for the next few decades. Stay tuned.     :sad:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. It's amazing how bad the fit is. But then, it is a short run kit from AZ...thank goodness I have a tube of putty that contains half a kilogram.

• Like 5

I like your progress so far Bill. The trouble is, you have got me thinking about getting the Fine Molds 1/48 kit of the subject; as if I didn't have enough on my plate already!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Martian said:

I like your progress so far Bill. The trouble is, you have got me thinking about getting the Fine Molds 1/48 kit of the subject; as if I didn't have enough on my plate already!

Martian 👽

Go on, you know that you want one 😈

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Go on, you know that you want one 😈

Evil child! A fat lot of help you are! I shall consult Mrs Martian as to the amount of time you will be spending in the Naughty Corner with @corsaircorp.. I have consulted with Mrs Martian and she suggested a suspended sentence. :hanging: I said hanging was a bit extreme and we finally settled on two weeks for a first offence.

Lenient of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Do it! It will be a pleasant diversion between Zeppelins. And you need a diversion - all dirigibles make Martian a naughty boy.    :)

25 minutes ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

I’ve no doubt that when it’s finished it will be as neat as a pin.  Like all your builds!

Hope so! In the meantime, pick a seam - any seam:

IMG_6814

I have to admit, she's got a nice shape.     👙

I should build a 262 concurrently, but I don't think I have one. Wait - I have the old Revell 262B Night Fighter version. I have no clue if that is any good. I seem to recall you have to cut out the wheel wells so you can see the underside of the cockpit, or some such thing. It's been in the loft for a decade or more.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, cpoud117 said:

Speaking of putty, what's that orange stuff you're using?

Nitro-Stan Spot and Glazing Red Putty 9001. It's an automotive body repair product normally used to fill fine scratches in metal, Fiberglas, or Bondo. I like it because it feathers beautifully with wet sanding. It shrinks a bit when drying, so usually two applications are required. A half kilo tube costs about USD $20, and will last forever. Unless you build a lot of short run kits.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: Looks like Standard Coating Corporation, who manufactured this putty, has closed its doors. Other companies sell very similar if not identical formulations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Martian said:

Martian 👽

Ah !!

Pretty glad that I'm not the only one :rofl2::rofl2:

But really my Dear alien, you don't need to be pushed too much, do you ???

What about that B-26 as a test bed for the french version of the Jumo 004 ???

WP_20170724_23_31_58_Pro

Just saying or asking... Well...:wicked:

Hello Bill great Putty thing !!

Quite sure that You'll turn it into a little gem....

The PE is really improving the whole interior...

Page 2 and here I'm, tempting our poor Martian into something stupid interesting.... :whistle::whistle:

Come on @RAF4EVER, come on the dark side, we have cookies beers :cheers:

Now, Bill, if you are interested, here's a view of the back of the lady....:whistle::whistle:

WP_20170724_23_32_17_Pro

Well... I take my coat....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

On 21/03/2023 at 19:17, corsaircorp said:

Now, Bill, if you are interested, here's a view of the back of the lady....

I'm always interested in a view of the back of the lady.    :)

That B-26 looks bizarre - that's a first for me. Those must have been interesting times.

Initial puttying completed. Lame landing gear details added. Strut actuators added. Lady on her feet.

IMG_6815

I have no photos of the landing gear wells on the Kikka, so I just faked it. The older I get, the less I worry about this kind of stuff. Admittedly, I was influenced by a Mt. Everest film I just watched, and all those aluminium ladders straddling the glacial crevasses and lashed to the Second Step. Anyway, next up I'll see if I remember how to use my airbrush. I did say I was getting old, right?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I have no photos of the landing gear wells on the Kikka, so I just faked it.

apart from the ones in the book.....

19%20Kikka_Page_20-960.jpg?m=1608661317

OK, they don't show much,....

the long OOP Kikka book is here for those searching for reference...

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Monogram-Close-up/Nakajima-Kikka

All the Monogram monographs are there as well.   

Neat work.  Looking good

Cheers

T   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

OK, they don't show much,....

Yeah, that's a fact. When I search for Kikka photos online, and find the same shots that are in the book, none of them are any better. I don't think we're seeing first generation scans - the original photos are probably in a locked file cabinet at Udvar-Hazy.

Thank the gods that no one ever looks at the underside of my models...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. IJN Grey is on the undersides - I need to fix just a couple of spots and then I'll go for the green.

• Like 6

On 3/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, Navy Bird said:

Hope so! In the meantime, pick a seam - any seam:

I’ve seen lost of Bill-builds on BM now, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a visible residual seam line anywhere on any completed build.  Nor any visible putty residue or contour defect for that matter.

If I ever did see any of the above I think I’d probably spill my tea with shock…

• Haha 5

On 27/03/2023 at 10:28, Fritag said:

I’ve seen lost of Bill-builds on BM now, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a visible residual seam line anywhere on any completed build.

Aw, man - now I've going to have to fix the visible residual seam lines on the Kikka. I never thought anyone would actually look for them!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Skip the tea and head straight for the whisky.

• Haha 3

Plodding along - been under the weather for the last week. I missed two model contests, including HeritageCon in Hamilton, ONT where I've been told there were nearly 1,300 models on display. Man, I could have gotten a certificate for 1,299th place! Arghh...

Blending the canopy into the fuselage on the Kikka is proving to be a multiple step process. Another couple of steps and I'll either have it beat or have it binned. Tell me again why I build short run kits all the time.

Cheers,

Bill, currently annoying wifey with Billericay Dickie.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's Boss-level wife-trolling there Bill :D

She actually likes Ian Dury, but I don't think she really listens to the words. We were both pretty big into Punk and New Wave in the 70s, but now we're just old fogies.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5