F8U-2 Crusader

Academy produce a very nice F-8E kit.

spacer.png

There are lots of nice markings available for the F-8E, but I have always been a big fan of making things a bit less easy for myself. :fool: Back in the day I built a Hasegawa F-8E and applied decals for VF-84 not realising that this aircraft was in fact an F-8C.  So this time, I will use the same decals but convert the Academy kit.

The F-8C conversion will require the avionics hump on the spine to be removed, the radome to be filed down to a conical shape and the IR seeker to be omitted.  The F-8C also carried a tray of Mighty Mouse rockets, but some simple scribing will suffice for the tray in its retracted position.

Are any other changes required?

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

with the exception of the ventral strakes which weren't fitted to most C's so references need to be checked for the airframe you are building.

This one definitely has the strakes.

• Like 2

Nice one Enzo, I’ve long wanted a ‘C/D’ but have always shied away from attempting a conversion myself. Good luck with this one, yet another great GB that will be hard to resist! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Excellent choice Enzo. Have fun. I like some of the C schemes. The E conversion is so tempting. I'll console myself by watching yours come together.

Ray

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Back in the day I built a Hasegawa F-8E and applied decals for VF-84 not realising that this aircraft was in fact an F-8C.  So this time, I will use the same decals but convert the Academy kit.

I did exactly the same, I was miffed when I found out the differences that I should have done to backdate the Hasegawa kit. :doh:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Incidentally, this is the intended colour scheme.

F-8C_VF-84_on_cat_of_USS_Independence_(C

Public domain photo linked from Wikipedia

A stunning scheme that I've always fancied doing in 1/48th scale.  I checked my Detail &Scale book on F-8 variants, I think Craig @modelling minion was confusing the ventral strakes with external stores pylons, the F-8E had both while the F-8C did not have the pylons.  As you correctly said, the main differences are the removal of the avionic bump on the upper wing (for Bullpup Missiles) scribing the FFAR rocket tray, this tray held 32 rockets and pivoted down just in front of the main u/c bay.  The rocket tray had the ventral airbrake as part of it's lower surface (an extra 75 US gallon fuel tank went there on the F-8E)  Removing the IR sensor and re-profiling the radome, compared to the radome on the E model the C was 2.75 inches smaller in length and oval (flatter sides) not round.  The F-8C could also carry either a single Sidewinder Missile on either side or two per side using the 'Y' missile rack.

Hope this was useful.

Bob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

the FFAR rocket tray, this tray held 32 rockets and pivoted down just in front of the main u/c bay.

Thanks Bob.  Very useful.  And it also explains an odd photo that I found on Google with an F-8C on approach with what looked to be a part of the lower fuselage hanging down.  As you explained, it is the missile tray.  Still doesn't explain why it was opened on approach though.

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Still doesn't explain why it was opened on approach though.

Perhaps he was un-happy with the deck handlers, 32 x 2,75 inch rockets = end of argument. :wicked:

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

And it also explains an odd photo that I found on Google with an F-8C on approach with what looked to be a part of the lower fuselage hanging down.  As you explained, it is the missile tray.  Still doesn't explain why it was opened on approach though.

I found that photo and it is the FFAR missile tray that is hanging down.  The F-8C was the last variant to have it, the F-8D had a more powerful engine so the rockets were deleted for extra fuel capacity, the rockets were never popular anyway as they were unguided.

• Like 1

I've decided to make my 1/48th Crusader into a flame effect F-8C as well, the decals are inbound from big 'H'.

The only problem that I've found from examining photos of these aircraft is they have the Vought ejection seat fitted, the F-8E kits have either the Martin Baker Mk.5 or Mk.7 seats.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe they had the Mk.5 the F-8E would get the Mk.7

The early Crusaders had Vought ejection seats, the first 143 F-8C also had this seat fitted.  The Martin Baker Mk.5 was then used and earlier aircraft were re-fitted with Mk.5.  The Mk.7 that had a rocket pack fitted were indeed used on the F-8E and F-8J.

• Thanks 2

I have changed the title of his thread from "F-8C Crusader" to "F8U-2 Crusader".

Many thanks to @Retired Bob who pointed out (in the chat thread) that this marking scheme is from 1961.  The USN only brought in the revised designations in 1962.

Bob also pointed out that I wll need to find a Vought ejection seat and a different nosewheel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Bob also pointed out that I wll need to find a Vought ejection seat and a different nosewheel.

I've since found out that the early Crusader aircraft including F8U-2 had all their wheels with spokes.  They changed the wheels to solid hubs when the under wing pylons were fitted, because of the extra weight of carrying external weapons.  All the replacement wheels that I've found so far are of the later solid type.  So far I've only found a Vought ejection seat in 1/32nd scale. (someone on the ARC forum asking the same questions about a Vought seat)  There are none in either 1/72nd or 1/48th scale, it's scratch build time. :whistle:

• Like 1

Crusader and Phantom are my favorite symbols of Vietnam War. I've built models by Hasegawa, Italeri and Kangnam (Hasegawa's copy), but Academy have the best Crusader. I will build F-8E and RF-8A in future. I have two Academy's kits, CMK's cockpit and wheels bay, Wolfpack's wing, decals Sprue Brothers (VF-162), Aires' exhaust and Airmodel's conversion set for RF-8, Airwaves' etched (but I haven't decal for RF-8 VMCJ-1) . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The sprues.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I elected to build the wing first.  I carved away the avionics hump on the spine component and filled the resulting hole with plasticard shims and Milliput.  I removed the flap components from the upper wing but only scored through the lines for the ones on the lower wing.  This meant that I could bend the lower flap parts down and then run some liquid cement along the bend, thereby providing some structural integrity.

I filed a chamfer on the mating faces of the leading edge flaps so that they could be depicted in the drooped position.   Filling and cleaning up is still in progress.

F8C-005.jpg

• Like 8

Various areas of the fuselage interior were painted up. The main gear bay is built up from four parts.

I used the kit decals for the cockpit panels.  The decals in this kit are well printed but the adhesive is very poor.  Microsol doesn't help.  I flooded them with Klear which holds then doen and seals the edges, allowing a coat of lacquer over the top.

A photograph of an an aircraft from the same unit shows that the intake interior is not white but a light tan colour, so I sprayed it with Lifecolor UA-267 Portland Stone.  The radome has been filled with Milliput.

spacer.png

Fuselage ready to be closed up.

spacer.png

The wing was then clipped into place to see how things look.

spacer.png

I then attacked the radome with a sanding stick.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Definitely one way to make it. I made the early ones to https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000773-172-xf8u-1-crusaders-138899-and-138900-done/#entry2325484

There are links in it for the WIP. I still have a few more to make. I look forward to see how your turns out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

They are magnificent!  :thumbsup:  You should post them in the inspiration gallery.

• Like 1