Fujimi A-7B (sort of...)

My first entry for this groupbuild is the Fujimi A-7E kit.

spacer.png

First issued in 1988, this kit is eligible for the Big In Japan classic GB!  However, in my opinion it is still the best 1/72 A-7 kit available.   Hobby Boss have a much more modern kit which is wonderfully detailed and a joy to build, but it is a pure caricature of the A-7.  Far better to go for the Fujimi range.

I say "Fujimi range" because the kits were released in three different versions: A-7A/B, A-7D and A-7E.  The sprue shots show how that was done.

In this shot you can see the lower fuselage/nose parts suitable for the A-7D/E.

spacer.png

In this shot, the corresponding nose parts for the A-7A/B have been blanked off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This sprue is also a multi-function one.  The weapons of the right are provided in the naval versions of the kit.  The A-7D version has a different set on the left of the sprue, which was blanked off.

spacer.png

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I was thinking of going for the HB kit for this……what’s wrong with out of interest? Also is the italeri ok, I have an eBay seller offer pending on one

The HB kits have got the forward fuselage (especially the intake area) very wrong, the canopy is the wrong shape too.

The Italeri kit is the old ESCI one which whilst basic has better shape than the HB ones.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I was thinking of going for the HB kit for this……what’s wrong with out of interest? Also is the italeri ok, I have an eBay seller offer pending on one

The HB kit is far too wide forward of the wing. It just looks ridiculous.  The canopy is almost as wide as that of an F-111 !

The Italeri kit is quite nice, but a little basic.  The biggest problem is that there is no intake trunking.  The intake is blanked off about a centimetre in, which is very noticeable.  However, Italeri provide a nice intake cover which solves the problem. 

• Like 3

Cheers guys, probably going to wait now as won't be in  postion to start for a while so might get lucky and find a fujimi D, though am tempted by the Fist of the Fleet one in the latest boxing of the italeri forgetting every attempt at a USN Gull Grey/White paint job I've done to date has gone wrong.....anyway supposed to be enzos thread so Ill leave it to go quite for a few weeks before a finished corsair reappears as per usual :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

forgetting every attempt at a USN Gull Grey/White paint job I've done to date has gone wrong.....

I'm the other side of the coin.  Every attempt at a USN TPS scheme I've done has gone wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm the other side of the coin.  Every attempt at a USN TPS scheme I've done has gone wrong.

The biggest problem Ive had with the TPS schemes are decals. They never tell you what paint they use to make up the markings. So 1/2 of the time my decals go invisible against the paint. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The biggest problem Ive had with the TPS schemes are decals. They never tell you what paint they use to make up the markings. So 1/2 of the time my decals go invisible against the paint. 

That's exactly my problem as well!

• Like 1

Neat choice Enzo, I have early and late Fujimi kits but I have an Italeri/ESCI kit it the post, so shall decide when I've had a chance to compare.

Colin

• Like 1

What a great SLUF.....and the model looks good too! :P  🤣

....and there's always gotta be someone.....:D

But you are right, Fujimi in their day turned out some awesome models, their 1/48th aircraft range was superb.

Good luck with this one Enzo.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think I need to learn the difference between an A-7 and an F-8...  having just posted an update on my F-8 here...!  :wall: 

This is an A-7...   :fool: 

I painted the fuselage interior.  The A-7 did not have an afterburner, so the rear fuselage is painted with zinc chromate.  I applied the decals to the cockpit consoles and instrument panel.  Then I dropped the instrument panel, which was promptly carried away by the carpet monster! :angry:  Not to worry.  I have plenty of spare instrument panels from the two Special Hobby Mirage F1s that I am building.  I'm sure that one of them can be used.

As you can see, there is plenty of room for ballast.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi Enzo,

very smart ballast! Your lead looks smashing.

The plastic doesn't look too bad either!

'JR

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jean said:

Your lead looks smashing.

They are self adhesive balance weights intended for vehicle wheels, easily avalable from evilbay.

Having said that they are "self adhesive", as soon as I closed the fuselage up, they came adrift!  :wall:   I hate things rattling around inside models!!! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Having said that they are "self adhesive", as soon as I closed the fuselage up, they came adrift!  :wall:   I hate things rattling around inside models!!! 

I have had the same thing happen with my Crusader, drives me mad every time you move the model to hear the weight rattling around. It never happened to me before so I am wondering if they have changed the glue on the back of them?

🇺🇦

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I have had the same thing happen with my Crusader, drives me mad every time you move the model to hear the weight rattling around. It never happened to me before so I am wondering if they have changed the glue on the back of them?

It's quite concerning should the weights be used for their intended purpose and the adhesive fails while the motorcycle is in motion! :yikes: 

I have solved the problem by trickling superglue through the wing locating slots.

• Like 1

You can see where I widened the slots to facilitate the superglue tricklage...

The intake trunking had some sink marks which I filled.  Dunno if it was worth the effort as they are not exactly visible, but at least I know I've done it. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Intake assembly fitted and cleaned up.  The wings have been fitted and are in the process of being filled and sanded.

spacer.png

There were some minor sink marks on the intake sides, following the line of the trunking.  I have never noticed these before on this kit but they probably indicate how much use the moulds have had.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The undersurfaces were sprayed with white plastic primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

Control surfaces masked off.  The wing is actually very different from that of the F-8.  The A-7 has ailerons on the outboard section.  The F-8 doesn't.

spacer.png

The uppersurfaces were sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1137.

spacer.png

Detail painting complete.

spacer.png

• Like 6

I've just realised that I have made a silly mistake with this one.  I misread the title of the CtA decal sheet that I am using.  I thought they were all A-7Es so happily proceeded to apply the decals of my choice.

Not so...  :fraidnot:  My choice is actually an A-7B.    So now I have A-7B markings on an A-7E airframe.  :wall:

I'm not going to repaint and lose those lovely decals. I'm just going to live with it.  If we don't tell anyone 🤫 and no one looks at the gun ports, I might just get away with it...   :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1