JBs F-8E Crusader. VF-194 ‘Red Lightnings’

Have been looking forward to this GB since it made it through the bunfight. I really like the US Navy’s classic grey over white plus colourful squadron markings of the time.

The first of my two planned builds is Hasegawa’s 1/48 F-8E Crusader.

F-8E Crusader

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jb65rams changed the title to JBs F-8E Crusader. VF-194 ‘Red Lightnings’

A second attempt at this update, first attempt I added it to my Corsair thread. 🤦‍♂️.

Made a start on some of the assemblies. Used the etch for the IP, thought it looked better than the decal but decided to use the kit parts for the side panels, had some nice detail.

F-8E Crusader

F-8E Crusader

Fuselage halves bought together, ready for glue. Didn’t fully appreciate how big an aircraft the Crusader was.

F-8E Crusader

I am using the Wolfpack wingfold, comes with replacement resin outer wings, should make the surgery a little easier as I won’t need to keep the kit parts.

F-8E Crusader

• Like 7

Nice progress. I like your call on the cockpit side walls. I will be painting up the Airies cockpit but had a similar thought as you when looking at the kit parts. That brass undercarriage looks especially nice and seems a good fit. 

Ray

Finally bucked up courage to take a razor saw to the wings.

F-8E Crusader

The inclusion of the resin wings makes the surgery easier as you don’t need to save the out wings, makes planning the cuts a lot easier. The pile of left overs.

F-8E Crusader

Couldn’t resist seeing what it looks like with the wings attached.

F-8E Crusader

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday was a frustrating (and expensive) day at the bench.

Everything was going well, the Crusader was painted and glossed ready for decals.

F-8E Crusader

I think the decal sheet must have seen better days, they fragmented at the sight of water. Spent about half an hour trying to piece the first decal together before giving up. Tried a number of decals for a different schemes, same result.

F-8E Crusader

F-8E Crusader

Put the kit and decals aside and hit the interweb looking for a set of replacement decals. Found some at Hannants, of course could not just buy the decals, a number of other items found their way into the cart.

Progress on hold until the postie delivers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 5/21/2023 at 4:31 AM, Jb65rams said:

Saturday was a frustrating (and expensive) day at the bench.

Everything was going well, the Crusader was painted and glossed ready for decals.

F-8E Crusader

I think the decal sheet must have seen better days, they fragmented at the sight of water. Spent about half an hour trying to piece the first decal together before giving up. Tried a number of decals for a different schemes, same result.

F-8E Crusader

F-8E Crusader

Put the kit and decals aside and hit the interweb looking for a set of replacement decals. Found some at Hannants, of course could not just buy the decals, a number of other items found their way into the cart.

Progress on hold until the postie delivers.

Too bad I hadn't been around. I still have most of my Hasegawa sheet in my file. I used another set when I built mine. 

The postie delivered these last week.

F-8E Crusader

However…..Whilst looking at eBay back end of last week, I chanced across a Revell Crusader with VF-194 markings, to cut a long story short, it was delivered today.

F-8E Crusader

• Like 3

Thanks. I am happy with the way they turned out. 

Had a productive weekend, decalling finished, followed by a gloss coat then a was with Flory dark dirt. Followed with a matt finish. Just need to bring the fuselage and wings together.

F-8E Crusader
  • Like 4