On Heather's Workbench - Strike Hard, Strike Sure: RAF Bomber Command 1940

Looking at the 'fat' wing, reminds me when I did some car body filler work. I made hat was called a banjo (don't ask why, caus' I don't know). Basically fat file made of a piece of ply with a handle for some control and a sheet or part of abrasive open coat sanding paper.

I hope you had success?

Colin

Just now, heloman1 said:

I hope you had success?

I think I had marginal success. I got to a point where I felt it was good enough, considering all the other little compromises in the build.

I follow a couple of car restoration YouTube channels, so I understand your issue with filler. It’s almost a dark art getting a properly seamless fill of a small ding in metalwork.

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

I think I had marginal success. I got to a point where I felt it was good enough, considering all the other little compromises in the build.

I follow a couple of car restoration YouTube channels, so I understand your issue with filler. It’s almost a dark art getting a properly seamless fill of a small ding in metalwork.

Long time since I did any of that Heather but several coats of Hugh Build Filler applied via spray gun seemed to work.

I watch Kindig Custom, lots of body filler and consequently lots of sanding!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh, hello there. It’s, um, been a while hasn’t it? Lots of excuses, I’m afraid.

The Manc is currently on the Shelf of Doom. The workbench is currently filled with commissioned model railway work, which has spontaneously developed a deadline of sorts. I’m also dealing with a fair old lump of adulting, which is never my favourite thing to do at the best of times. Needs must, as they say.

So, styrene and resin bothering has been very low on the agenda of late, and I fear it might be a while longer before I feel up to mixing two-part epoxy to glue wings on the proto-Lancaster. 

I am still lurking here, keeping up with everything as best I can. I hope to be back at the Bomber Command builds soon enough.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Oh, hello there. It’s, um, been a while hasn’t it? Lots of excuses, I’m afraid.

The Manc is currently on the Shelf of Doom. The workbench is currently filled with commissioned model railway work, which has spontaneously developed a deadline of sorts. I’m also dealing with a fair old lump of adulting, which is never my favourite thing to do at the best of times. Needs must, as they say.

So, styrene and resin bothering has been very low on the agenda of late, and I fear it might be a while longer before I feel up to mixing two-part epoxy to glue wings on the proto-Lancaster. 

I am still lurking here, keeping up with everything as best I can. I hope to be back at the Bomber Command builds soon enough.

Thanks for the update,take your time, real things take priority.👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still here. It’s been quite rocky this past few months, but I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I won’t bore you with gory details, but essentially Best Beloved is quite poorly (though he’s improved this past couple of weeks), and I’ve had to move to a much more caring role as a result. Until you become a carer you don’t realise just how much work can be involved. It nearly broke me, but help has been offered and gladly accepted, so things are beginning to get back on an even keel.

Quite when modelling operations will restart is an open question. Soon, I hope.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I was wondering how you were both getting on. Good to hear from you.

Yes, caring can be a full time job. And I know that it can really be a strain, physically and mentally on you both. Take your time, we and the plastic can wait. I hope you've found a little time to yourself and not forgotten the paying job on the Railway stuff. Best wishes, Pete 

• Like 1

Good to hear BB is improving and you have some help on the caring front.

As said, we'll still be here and you need to prioritise the important stuff! 

Best wishes, take care both

Keith 😁