On Heather's Workbench - Strike Hard, Strike Sure: RAF Bomber Command 1940

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

I'm sure it won't be a huge issue to repair the blue, it could certainly have been a lot worse!

A lot worse. All the paint on the wing might have peeled off! How the acrylic adhered to the plastic is odd. You can see in the photo how it seems to stick better to some parts but not others. Very odd.

I’ve had another look after dinner. The blue still tacky. I’m unsure of the reason for that, but I’ve spent a few minutes cleaning it off with a cotton bud and thinners, followed by some sanding back. I think my approach to repainting will be to repaint the camouflage with the ColourCoats enamel paint, leave it a couple of days, then repaint the roundels. I might still be able to salvage the original cut masks, which will save some faff.

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hope you put a quid in the swear box. 

Close to a tenner! Like I say, I think it’s fixable. :like:

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A lot worse. All the paint on the wing might have peeled off.....

......Like I say, I think it’s fixable. :like:

Per ardua ad astra, as it says somewhere. 

Honestly, your ability to press on and find ways to overcome these setbacks is truly inspiring and educational.

Thank you!

Murray

Edited by MOK61
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MOK61 said:

Honestly, your ability to press on and find ways to overcome these setbacks is truly inspiring and educational.

You flatter me, sir. Thank you. To be honest, what else could I do? It's my hobby, it’s all a learning curve, and this is the only Whitley I possess. I’ve got to fix what goes wrong, and learn from any mistakes so I try not to repeat them again. Mind you, if I come across another kit, I may snap it up. I’m always up for another bash at a build.

Whitley restoration

The gear's still on the bench, so I pressed on regardless. Having done a little rubbing down of the affected areas, I’ve just airbrushed some more CC Dark Earth. You can see some variation in the colour, but I’m not bothered by that. My original finish on this model was too flat and even, and I’ve been hoping to build in some mild weathering as I do this restoration. There are limits to what I can do, obviously, but even the simple act of adding weathering powder exhaust stains lifted things.

I hate masking, so I’m dithering at the moment about whether I faff about with tape and airbrush ColourCoats Dark Green, or resort to painting the green by hand. Incidentally, I am going to have to cut new roundel masks. There’s paint stuck to the old ones! :rolleyes:

• Like 15

Ah...the magical ability of paint, any paint, whether applied by airbrush, hairy stick or catapult, to fall off the places you want it to stick and cling like a frightened limpet everywhere else!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

That slight tonal difference where you've resprayed adds to the effect I think. not just weathering, but there's lots of photo's where paint was touched up giving vast differences in colour across an aircraft. Looking great :)

• Like 1

I'm just playing catch up with this one ....  your skill to overcome the problems of paint are inspiring Heather ... and I thoroughly enjoyed the read about the connections of the companies .... interesting stuff! 

While I can't offer any info about wing dihedral or cos, sin, and tangents, I can encourage you to keep going ... it'll all be worth it!  

Keith 😁 

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 1

Whitley restoration

In for a penny… Having quite a lot of Oramask offcuts around, I decided to press some of it into use. Laying a slab of film on the relevant wing, I could sort of trace existing camo patterns. Remove the film, cut the shape, and lay it back on the wing. Happily, no further paint lifted while I did this.

Whitley restoration

And the result. Pretty happy with that. I'll put the model back in the cabinet for a bit to let the paint cure properly. Later in the week I’ll have another bash at the roundels. I also need to concoct a serial number transfer as well, so I’ll have to fire up the pooter anyway. It’s been switched off for the best part of a fortnight, as almost everything else I need to do gets done on the tablet, and increasingly the mobile phone. 

• Like 19

20 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

(edit) I wonder if the Whitley had the biggest over wing roundel in the RAF?

A close run thing between the Whitley and the Sunderland, I reckon.

I did wonder if I needed bigger roundels for the Whitley. The scheme I used - and which I’m replicating/restoring - came from Xtradecal, but most other Whitleys seem to have had the massive roundels. I want to say 72 inches, which is huge, but proportional to the wing, which was the correct method I believe.

I just looked at my KUTA Frog Whitley thread to remember. Xtradecal said 74 inches and I measured from photos and got 100 (which agrees with Airfix for DY-R). So I have two overlapping B type roundel decals on each spot...

However, I'm sure there will have been all sorts of sizes. And if the original overwing A1 roundels were 100 inches, then if you paint over the outer yellow ring, you are left with 5/7 of 100 inches for the blue, which is 71.4 inches!

So there may be method in the madness...

• Like 2

Right. Let’s do this!

Earlier, I fired up the old pooter and cut new masks for the roundels. While I was there I knocked up some transfers for the serial number.

Whitley restoration

The crossed tape held (hopefully) the circles in register while I positioned the film. Offcuts of film and bits of tape cover an area I hope won’t even see overspray but you never know. Really not trusting the underlying paint - and nothing to do with ColourCoats at all, but merely the usual paranoia after recent events! - the only edges that have been rubbed down are the roundel edges themselves.

Whitley restoration

Red on. I needed a couple of goes to get dense enough coverage. Walk away, make a coffee, read a book, write a novel, raise a family… anything to fill the time to let the paint gas off enough for the centre circle to go back on and so I can get the blue on.

Whitley restoration

Shall we say an age, epoch or eon later? Less time than it takes to write up this report, in fact. I like to try and get masking off as soon as possible, mainly to confirm my worst expectations are unfounded. By that, I mean all the paint layers are still attached to the model and not on an away day with the masking tape.

Yes, I did get a little raised edge on the red spot due to over enthusiasm. I’ll deal with that in time. Otherwise, pending a dose of weathering of some kind and unifying coat of varnish, I’ll call that mission accomplished.

(Apart from the serial transfers, and refitting the little bits that were taken off for safe storage.)

• Like 23

On 10/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, Heather Kay said:

I hate masking,

So do I! I must say though Heather, for someone who hates it, you seem to be able to do it rather well. I've never masked any markings for paint, so I'll be picking your brains at Telford on the whole subject. Something for you to look forward too :giggle:

Very much admire your determination to repaint the Whitley markings, and a very fine job you seem to be doing.

These old Bomber Command types are fascinating. I've recently "acquired" a 1/32 (is that 1 gauge in railway speak?) HK Models Lancaster and remain totally "rabbit in headlights" whenever I open the box, just to peek inside 😱. I'll explain how I came to own this one at Telford!

Carry on with this fine thread, I love it!

Terry

• Like 2

'Tis a fine looking tribute to the Whitley crews Heather.

What's not often mentioned, whilst everyone else was chasing battleships, the Whitley crews were plodding about all over occupied Europe dropping leaflets. Brrave men indeed.

Regards

Pete

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Whitley crews were plodding about all over occupied Europe dropping leaflets. Brrave men indeed.

Indeed. I’m reminded of the crews flying out over France to bomb factories in northern Italy after Mussolini declared war. A long journey out, even longer back, with risks of icing and navigational errors. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

So do I! I must say though Heather, for someone who hates it, you seem to be able to do it rather well. I've never masked any markings for paint, so I'll be picking your brains at Telford on the whole subject. Something for you to look forward too :giggle:

Very much admire your determination to repaint the Whitley markings, and a very fine job you seem to be doing.

These old Bomber Command types are fascinating. I've recently "acquired" a 1/32 (is that 1 gauge in railway speak?) HK Models Lancaster and remain totally "rabbit in headlights" whenever I open the box, just to peek inside 😱. I'll explain how I came to own this one at Telford!

Carry on with this fine thread, I love it!

Terry

I got one when they first came out, but felt the same. I was overwhelmed at the detail in the box and the size of it so sold it on!

Heather, that is really looking the part, love the fact that you make your own masks for the codes and roundels!

• Like 1

Final stages now. I think it’s time to call a halt before I spoil it all.

Whitley restoration

I noticed some little flecks of light grey paint on the port wing. No idea when that happened, but spotting dark green didn’t really solve it as the original coat was much lighter and looks faded. Since they fall on what looks like fabric-covered sections of wing I’ve made the excuse a splatter of flak splinters made some holes that the erks have patched over and repainted quickly. I have to admit they look worse in the photo than in real life.

Whitley restoration

The damned serial number transfers silvered, despite my best efforts. I hate transfers. I really do. I’ll attempt the old stabbing holes and drop Microsol over it routine. (Edit: it failed. New transfers on the way.)

Whitley restoration

I did a little experiment to give the broad expanse of wing a little variety. I took the Galeria Matt varnish and added a drop of Humbrol 32 dark grey. After a quick paint of the elevators and ailerons, I felt it might also work on the fabric sections of the wings. Again, it looks darker in the photo than in real life. I’m going to live with it for a while and see how I feel.

I needed to repair the Night Black under the fuselage where the roundels and codes had been painted. A little masking tape covered new works, and I wafted a light coat of ColourCoats Night over everything. The original finish had been slightly satin, so a waft of the enamel toned everything down to a flatter finish. The fuselage hatch has been reinstated, including a fine wire stay which I failed to add in the original build. The access ladders can be attached later. I also painted over the aluminium wheel hubs, as most photos of real Whitleys seem to show little bright metalwork around the undercarriage. That leaves just the antenna wire to be fixed, and back into the cabinet with it.

The next job on my To Do List is to make up storage/carriage boxes for the fleet. I’ve been invited to help out with the Wessex IPMS stand at the forthcoming SMW in Telford. @Terry1954 has recklessly allowed me to bring anything I fancy for the display. :hmmm::coolio: :whistle:

Edited by Heather Kay
Profanity filter fix, and update.
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1

Looks great to me. I admire the ability to do factory-fresh paint jobs but I also enjoy variation in paint because it feels realistic. In all the accounts I've read, everyone is struggling with limited resources. 

For silvering, I nicked my decals here and there with a sharp blade and applied some floor polish. Seemed to help in the tricky spots.

• Like 2