On Heather's Workbench - Strike Hard, Strike Sure: RAF Bomber Command 1940

On 24/06/2023 at 13:58, Gondor44 said:

You do yourself a disfavour Heather. Everyone has Duh moments.

What I seem to have is a "Duh" life, punctuated by flashes of "Oooo...Now I get it!"

Fantastic work on the Wimpey, Heather!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 28/06/2023 at 15:22, Winnbowman said:

Wimpey ala U, S. A.

This is the character, J. Wellington Wimpy, from the popular Popeye comic strip and cartoon films of the 1930s, which apparently gave rise to the Wellington's nickname. The aircraft's dumpy appearance is also reminiscent of the cartoon character.

Airfix Wellington MkIC

Parts. These are the bits remaining to be fitted to the model. I suppose I need to think about primer soon. There doesn’t seem to be any reason not to get the Stirling up to a similar point. While I am still puzzling over the turrets, I should work on the final cockpit details, get the transparencies masked and fitted, and glue the wings and tailplane onto the fuselage. I just need to get the enthusiasm together.

I could avoid the bench altogether and work on the stencil masks. I think I’ve hit my usual PPPP (Point of Pre-Painting Procrastination).

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I think I’ve hit my usual PPPP (Point of Pre-Painting Procrastination).

I suffer from the same malady Heather, I just hate having to cover up all the extra work I have done on a model with a coat of paint. It can be weeks before I can bring myself to fire up the airbrush after I have reached the painting stage.

Dithering of Mars 👽

• Like 5

If a slight distraction is needed I wonder if I might present this photo

spacer.png

This artefact might be the reason I've been drawn to things aviation since I was knee-high.  Whenever we visitied my grandparents it was on their mantlepiece loaded with my grandfather's pipe and associated paraphanelia.   Shiny isn't it?  And a great attraction to a 3-yr old as i was many decades ago!    I never managed to get an answer to my questions, but I think he said it was made for him.  Whenever I've tried a few half-hearted  searches I've never been able to see anything similar - lots of Spitfires like this but not Wimpys.  Which probably means it was mass-produced somewhereand I'll be inundated with examples.

Not much detail I'm afraid.  No panel lines and the turrets are not up to much ......... not a threat to your wonderful creations!    Wingspan is about 17.5cm.

Hope it helps in some way.

cheers

Rob

• Like 9

This might seem an odd thing to do while engrossed in a nail-biting finish to an Ashes test match.

Airfix Stirling

Not a bad effort. Mostly between the lines, which can be tricky to see on these vac form parts. I had to refer to a few photos to confirm shapes, and I realise the pilot's escape hatch isn’t even modelled but I wasn’t about to try and make it myself. Just the coupe console to make up. That might be a while, like the turrets!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Not a bad effort.

Bit of an understatement looking at it from down here in Dorset!

I've just had a massive catch up here Heather and I saw that not only is your Stirling is coming along so superbly, you also started a Wimpey! Multiple treats for us all in such an interesting thread, and a wonderful tribute to those aviators back in the day that worked these aircraft in such challenging times.

Will we see these beauties at Telford this year?

Terry

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Will we see these beauties at Telford this year?

I’ve not been invited, and I don’t belong to a local IPMS club, so I’m afraid not. Also, with Best Beloved's health at present I’m not sure we can risk it as just visitors. I’m afraid you'll have to make do with photos for now. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Airfix Stirling

You’ll have to take my word for it, but I bodged together the roof console from styrene strip and the Eduard PE parts. It has been glued into the top of the transparency with PVA to avoid fogging the clear parts. The nose and coupe have been attached as neatly as I can using canopy glue. I’ll plug the turret openings with soft foam. I will prime the fuselage and wings separately, the latter can be attached properly once painting is advanced. I suppose I should fit the tail parts.

• Like 21

16 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ve not been invited, and I don’t belong to a local IPMS club, so I’m afraid not.

That's a great shame. See my pm!

Terry

• Like 1

This isn’t what I should be doing today.

Airfix Stirling

It feels better for having done it, though. Yes, there are/were ledges which need/needed some filing, filling and sanding. 

• Like 17

10 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Looks nice and straight too.

I spent ages, even with the jiggery-pokery-thingummy, eyeballing against engineer's squares. Getting the fuselage to sit square was much harder than you’d think, too. It’s about as close as I can get it. Gawd knows how I managed it when I was younger, because the fit is as loose as Nora Batty's stockings!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

Something of your own design?

I wish I was that clever. It comes from EBMA Hobby & Craft.

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=112

No connection, just a satisfied customer - waiting for a biplane jig, perhaps, one day. :like:

• Thanks 1

Airfix Stirling

Airfix Stirling

The wings aren’t glued in. Plenty of work to do on them yet. But I couldn’t resist a quick dry assembly to see how it looks so far. It’s got the right sort of stance on the deck. I do like the Stirling. :inlove:

• Like 23

Nifty jig, looking at all the options and adjustments possible I think I might need a PhD in engineering to set up and use. 

I’ve lusted for a Stirling ever since seeing the Airfix kit built up in a US model magazine in the late 60s but never, as best my failing memory can do, actually built the one I had in the stash. I think my first son (now in his 50s) had a go at that kit years back. Now the stash has the Italeri B III instead.

Your Stirling definitely has the towering stance of the real thing. 

• Like 1

You wrote

Whenever I've tried a few half-hearted  searches I've never been able to see anything similar - lots of Spitfires like this but not Wimpys.  Which probably means it was mass-produced somewhere and I'll be inundated with examples.

You might have a rarey bird there !

Many moons ago here in Australia chromed aviation desk models used to pretty common-place, (along with brass shell casing trench art ) at bric-a-brac and Antique stores -P-39s, Ansons, P-51s, the odd Spit (always popular ) and B-17s even, but never, ever a Whimpy  That was always on my list for my late father's birthday (who flew them) and I never found even a rusty one. You'd be lucky to find anything like this now and when you do, they are very pricey.

Shame about Telford -

David

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I spent ages, even with the jiggery-pokery-thingummy, eyeballing against engineer's squares. Getting the fuselage to sit square was much harder than you’d think, too. It’s about as close as I can get it. Gawd knows how I managed it when I was younger, because the fit is as loose as Nora Batty's stockings!

I’ve always found the hardest part of using the jig to be getting the fuselage in the right place and vertical.  I don’t know what the Stirling is like but the fuselage on the original Wimpy is anything but symmetrical which doesn’t help matters.  Are you aware that the curly bits on the vee supports are for holding elastic bands stretched over the fuselage?

She looks very impressive up on her legs.  Thoroughly enjoying this thread, thanks.

6 hours ago, Andy G said:

Are you aware that the curly bits on the vee supports are for holding elastic bands stretched over the fuselage?

I am indeed. Unfortunately, I’m all out of elastic bands. My last collection had all perished. I should buy a box.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

The wings aren’t glued in. Plenty of work to do on them yet. But I couldn’t resist a quick dry assembly to see how it looks so far. It’s got the right sort of stance on the deck. I do like the Stirling.

Looking at those two pics, you have certainly captured that unmistakable Stirling stance Heather. Really impressive so far.

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back at the Wimpy and Stirling this weekend. 

Primer, everywhere

Primer everywhere! This has revealed quite a bit of remedial work to do on the Stirling wings (not to mention the engine grafts). I actually plan on painting the big four-engined monster while it’s in bits. Something tells me it will be easier to arrange the markings and masking for the underside black without wings in the way. I’m a bit stuck with the Wellington, but there you go.

Primer, everywhere

While the primer dried, I headed off to the pooter to finish drawing up the markings. One A5 sheet of Oramask now has the roundels (various), additional masks (various), squadron codes and serial numbers for both models. I’m attempting the serial numbers again. The last couple of times they were a dismal failure, where they failed to cut cleanly and didn’t want to leave the safety of the backing sheet. This time, having learned with the Hampden that slightly deeper cuts on the Silhouette were needed for this material, I’m hoping things might work better. If not, it’s juggling individual pieces of transfer! Of course, the first hurdle will be getting the cut-out blighters off the sheet and in register!

While aerosolling primer I noticed my extractor hood thingy had pretty much stopped extracting. The fan was still working well, but the particle filter had finally become so bunged up it wasn’t really doing anything. It’s been in need of replacement for some little while, so I’ve sourced new ones. I’ll order first thing Monday morning.

• Like 20

Airfix Wellington MkIC

As I mentioned the Stirling needs some remedial filler work, so I’m concentrating on the Wellington today. You’ll note I’ve taken the blocked particle filter off the front of the extraction booth. I’m spraying ColourCoats enamels at low pressure. I suspect the particulate matter is minimal compared to the vapour, so until new filters arrive I’m using it in vapour extraction mode.

Today I learned that Halfords Grey Acrylic primer is pretty much exactly the same colour as Medium Sea Grey. Let’s just say I couldn’t actually see where I’d applied the MSG for the serial and codes! 

I managed to extract the serial numbers from the film sheet without too many tears. The method was to cut a block of the scrap material around the serial (note to self: leave more space between copies next time), and carefully pry the scrap away from the numbers so they more or less remained on the backing sheet. Then, a strip of Tamiya-style masking tape was used to hold them in alignment while I got them onto the model. 

With the chosen aircraft it proved to need a little bit of careful positioning to make sure the large code letters fitted into the space between serials and the fuselage side windows without crashing into the large roundel. Once happy, film burnished down and white sprayed for the roundels and fin flash. I probably didn’t need to bother with a white coat under the upper wing Type Bs, but while the paint was mixed…

Now to let it dry for a bit.

• Like 17