"Ruhm" - Tiger 1 - Leningrad 1943 - Dragon - 1/35

Hello there,

Another new build, I know, another Tiger, I know (I can hear you huffing and puffing in the background), but well, in my humble defense, the Formula 1 kit I was trying to assemble drove me crazy, and I can't see the end of it... Also, the last model I completed was in January 2022, so I needed to build an easy kit that would be finished quickly enough to motivate me.

While looking for a model magazine in my library, I came across an old copy of l'Art du Modélisme, a magazine that disappeared a long time ago, which does not make me feel any younger, which dealt with a Tiger 1 assembly in Leningrad by Sven Frisch

02101310.jpg

Bought in September 2013 (I was 12 years old), and having fallen under the charm of the powerful Tiger, I promised myself that one day I would assemble one of the same brand, Dragon, and with the same camouflage. 2023, 10 years later, at the age of 22, having purchased a Tiger 1 from Dragon 2 years ago, I'm starting the adventure, with an early production Tiger, using the first kit made by Dragon, dating from 2003.

vehicl10.jpg

Here is the box, which is not exactly the same as the one used in the magazine, and does not contain the same decals, but I acquired various accessories (not too much to try to make a From The Box built, even if it is complicated for me because I love adding details)

dsc_9920.jpg

In a very unoriginal way, I start by assembling the radiators

dsc_9921.jpg

Always in a very little and original way, I paint them, and I glue them... That said, you can hardly see anything once the roof of the box and the grids are in place, but hey, it's a bit of practice with airbrushe

dsc_9922.jpg

The Tiger is assembled quite quickly, taking care to remove the weld lines that will be remade (it's true that it adds a very nice detail on the model, but it's something I don't like to do at all due to my lack of practice). Note that I'm extremely surprised by the incredible quality of this kit, from 2003, which is much better and just as detailed as the Border kit from 2022...

dsc_9923.jpg

The traditional texture, resulting from a mixture of putty and tamiya glue, applied with an old brush

dsc_9924.jpg

The wheels are assembled (with a very small joint line, very easily cleaned), and the rubber band is damaged. Note that the first roller tended to accumulate snow and mud, so it was often removed, and it's done on the kit

dsc_9925.jpg

The weld lines are redone with Tamiya bi-component putty, but there is still some work to do, even if it's better than my last experience with the Border Tiger (it took me 1 week to do it, here it only took me 2 days)

dsc_9926.jpg

That's all for now, of course I'm planning a little diorama inspired by the Night Shift videos, with two figurines, which will help you understand the name given to the diorama (Ruhm means fame in German)
Have a nice day and best regards
Vincent

Edited by VinBizz4786_
  • Like 15

Absolutely no defence required for the great start so far.

The F1 build must be frustrating but you have made an excellent start here in a build that I hope will cause less stress.

I must admit that anyone who claims they were 12 years old in 2013 and now feels old does need some kind of defence for calling yourself "old" from us youngsters nearly 30 years older than you !

Dam I wish my models looked as good as this one 30 years ago (ok I wish my build from last week looked this good).

Anyway.... I will follow the progress of "yet another tiger tank" here with interest.

On 14/03/2023 at 11:36, AlxBNE said:

Absolutely no defence required for the great start so far.

The F1 build must be frustrating but you have made an excellent start here in a build that I hope will cause less stress.

I must admit that anyone who claims they were 12 years old in 2013 and now feels old does need some kind of defence for calling yourself "old" from us youngsters nearly 30 years older than you !

Dam I wish my models looked as good as this one 30 years ago (ok I wish my build from last week looked this good).

Anyway.... I will follow the progress of "yet another tiger tank" here with interest.

Indeed, F1 is really frustrating, hence my need to do something else, because I can't see the end of it...

And for the age, let's say that until 25 years old I enjoy, after that I will enjoy less I think, but well, it's mostly in the head, because as a friend of mine said "the one who keeps a child's soul never gets old".

And thanks for your following mate

On 14/03/2023 at 14:14, Keeff said:

Good start and progress so far! 

I'll get my chair and follow along! 

Keith 😁 

Thanks Keith, much pleasure 

On 14/03/2023 at 16:52, edjbartos said:

That's a great start, It's looking very good already, I'm looking forward to seeing more...

Ed

Thanks Ed, I very appreciate 

On 18/03/2023 at 14:29, Muchmirth said:

This will be a good one. I'll follow along. Good luck.

I hope mate, I hope! and thank you 

Hello there,

I've been dragging my feet a bit to finish assembling this Tiger, but here we are at last (I think I've never been so fast at assembling a tank). In my defense, during the week I'm in school in another city far from home so I don't really have time to build models, and it's mostly on weekends that I enjoy it (free time shared with my other passion, the piano).

Without wasting any more time, let's go to the pictures

First of all, a little message about the smoke grenade launchers, entirely made of metal and very beautiful! (note that all the handles are redone in metal wire)

dsc_9927.jpg

dsc_9928.jpg

The tools of the board set are installed, with their metal clasps! By the way, Dragon provides the tools with the plastic clasps moulded on them and the tools without clasps, for photo etch, which saves us from painful cutting sessions, which always end up in breakage...

dsc_9929.jpg

Well, I think we have everything. Note that the grills on the engine bay were not supplied in the kit and come from Aber, and also one of the headlights, from an old Tamiya kit.

dsc_9930.jpg

dsc_9931.jpg

Otherwise the two figures that will be added to the small diorama. One of Alpine and the other of Bravo6

dsc_9932.jpg

I would just like to point out the incredible level of detail in the Bravo6 figure. It's my first time with this comment and I'm blown away by the level of detail, simply sublime.

Otherwise, is a tank model without metal tracks is really a tank model? Not sure, so to remove the doubt, the Friul tracks are in place, and once in place, we can declare the assembly as finished

dsc_9933.jpg

dsc_9934.jpg

dsc_9935.jpg

dsc_9936.jpg

dsc_9937.jpg

And with the figure

dsc_9938.jpg

That's all for today.

Have a nice day and best regards

Vincent

• Like 13

• VinBizz4786_ changed the title to "Ruhm" - Tiger 1 - Leningrad 1943 - Dragon - 1/35

Beautifully done. Very neat work. The new weld seams look the part along with the crisp pe brackets. 
  I can second the bravo six figure they are by far and a way the best. Shane that I don’t theirs much of a choice with them, they tend to do a lot of Vietnam figs and not as many ww2 or other conflict or nations. 
All the best,

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
Spelling

That really is looking fabulous, you have done some lovely work here with the addition of the brass. Excellent work. I do like the look of the Bravo figure, not seen those before, must take a look for future projects. Well done...👍

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2023 at 10:37, Model Mate said:

Beautiful work. I love the Panzer IV(?) stowage bin hanging off the back of the turret - was that in the kit?

Thanks mate, yep it's a Panzer IVs stowage bin, and it comes from the kit, and it was a common thing on the very first Tigers 

On 24/03/2023 at 14:44, Muchmirth said:

Beautifully done. Very neat work. The new weld seams look the part along with the crisp pe brackets. 
  I can second the bravo six figure they are by far and a way the best. Shane that I don’t theirs much of a choice with them, they tend to do a lot of Vietnam figs and not as many ww2 or other conflict or nations. 
All the best,

Paul

Thank you Paul, the welds are the result of watching almost regiously Night Shift hahaha

And yep, its the first time for me with the Bravo6, and in compare, the Alpine looks like plastic, but its almsot only about Vietnam

On 24/03/2023 at 14:52, mick said:

great work

Thanks man

On 25/03/2023 at 10:39, edjbartos said:

That really is looking fabulous, you have done some lovely work here with the addition of the brass. Excellent work. I do like the look of the Bravo figure, not seen those before, must take a look for future projects. Well done...👍

Ed

Thank you Ed, and I really recommand the Bravo6's they are really great

• Like 1

Hello there,

I know, almost 1 month separates this update from the previous one, but don't panic; your favorite modeler (I doubt it) is back (nobody asked you... did they?)

More seriously, if I took so long to release this update, it's for two reasons; the necessary paints weren't available in shops, so I had to order them online, with the waiting time that goes with it, and the second one is that I had some big messes with the winter tint, and that it was easier to start the painting from the beginning...

So let's not waste any more time and as David Crof would say "It's lights out and away we go"

First, a layer of Mahogany Brown covers the surface of the kit

dsc_9939.jpg

Then a coat of blue-grey using Mr Color (lacquer) 513

dsc_9940.jpg

First highlight of the shade by adding to the eye of the Mr Color 514 in the 513

dsc_9941.jpg

Second highlight by adding Mr Color 515 to the mixture of 513 and 514, then the model is protected with a coat of matt varnish

dsc_9942.jpg

Annoying but necessary work, because the tank represented had a camouflage with clean edges, masking the model with Tamiya masking tape

dsc_9943.jpg

dsc_9944.jpg

After applying two coats of Chipping Fluid, XF-2 white mixed with a dash of XF-63 is applied to the entire model

dsc_9945.jpg

Not being totally convinced by the uniformity of the white tint, I applied a mapping using Vallejo white diluted to the extreme, and the result seems to me much better and much more realistic

dsc_9946.jpg

The same method is used for the wheels. Note that the grey contrasted too much with the white, and to compensate for this, I applied a white juice as well as vertical lines, always using Vallejo white diluted to the extreme

dsc_9947.jpg

dsc_9948.jpg

dsc_9949.jpg

That's all for now,
Next step, the weathering,
Have a nice evening and best regards
Vincent

• Like 14

You're doing a great job Vincent!  Thank for sharing your painting guide .... really useful and informative pictures. 

Hopefully you'll get this done soon.

Keith 😁 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2023 at 08:07, Stef N. said:

That's a great step by step guide Vincent. Good paints too. Cheers. 👍

My pleasure mate, but if you want a greater and better step by step by someone who master the art, you can check Uncle Night Shift on Youtube

On 20/04/2023 at 08:24, Watto said:

Looking really smart, the time spent with your masking really paid off. 

Good stuff 👍

Thank you mate, it took me 1h30 for the whole masking step

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 10:54, Muchmirth said:

Worth the wait. Very good work.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks for your patience and your time Paul, very appreciate

On 20/04/2023 at 21:38, Keeff said:

You're doing a great job Vincent!  Thank for sharing your painting guide .... really useful and informative pictures. 

Hopefully you'll get this done soon.

Keith 😁 

My pleasure to "help" you Keith, the end is near