Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vc (Trop) RIAF, 1 SFTS Peshavar

Greetings. Since I got the wonderful book "Spitfires in the Sun" written by @Linescriber I have tried my hand at some of the wonderful Spitfires profiled in the book. This is MA368, one of the rare handful of Vs that flew in India. When it arrived in India and delivered to 607 squadron RAF, it was in the Middle East scheme and after a cpl of different paint jobs ended up in the correct temperate land scheme with 16" ACSEA blue India roundels. Shown here as it was with 1 SFTS at Peshawar and Ambala. 

The kit itself is nice and gets you excited for a bit before disappointing you as well. The fit is fine though requires some muscle and putty for the wing root and vokes filter fitting. They have even included decals for parts not in the kit like the fuel cap on the nose 🤷🏻‍♂️ and missing some parts altogether like the rearview mirror. A thin cockpit door would have been a nice option for those of us who like to build it that way. I still need to sand the door thin but calling this done for now. The rearview mirror comes from the Italeri kit. Paints are Tamiya. 

I am not a very good photographer so please pardon the quality of the images as I used my very outdated phone camera. Here is the link to the build thread. Thank you for looking 🙏

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Madmaks
  • Like 29

NIcely done Spitfire V.  Though,  I do have a preference for the Middle East scheme, the one you chose has been carried off well and looks quite good.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

NIcely done Spitfire V.  Though,  I do have a preference for the Middle East scheme, the one you chose has been carried off well and looks quite good.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks and there was also an intermediate scheme MA368 was in as it went from Middle East to Temperate. I am working on a KP kit as well that will reflect that - basically azure blue underside with the DG and Middle Stone transposed.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Always nice to see the SEAC roundels.

That intermediate scheme sounds a treat, hope to see it.

Have documentation, you'll want it.

Thanks 🙏 The book has been my primary source for these builds. If I read your comment correctly it seems you might have documentation for that intermediate scheme or did I misunderstand that sentence?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmaks said:

Thanks 🙏 The book has been my primary source for these builds. If I read your comment correctly it seems you might have documentation for that intermediate scheme or did I misunderstand that sentence?

There was a period when the official order for Desert Scheme read that Middle Stone was to be substituted for Dark Earth, rather than for Dark Green. The order seems to have been a mis-print, and was rectified quickly, at least by bureaucratic standards. Considerable debate has been conducted over whether machines actually appeared in service with the Dark Green/Middle Stone finish. It has gotten heated at times. You might find some partisan in the debate thinking at first glance this was your inspiration for such a scheme, rather than that this was a known local variation contrived far from Home Establishment production standards.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

There was a period when the official order for Desert Scheme read that Middle Stone was to be substituted for Dark Earth, rather than for Dark Green. The order seems to have been a mis-print, and was rectified quickly, at least by bureaucratic standards. Considerable debate has been conducted over whether machines actually appeared in service with the Dark Green/Middle Stone finish. It has gotten heated at times. You might find some partisan in the debate thinking at first glance this was your inspiration for such a scheme, rather than that this was a known local variation contrived far from Home Establishment production standards.

Thanks 🙏 Hopefully I will be able to post that build soon enough too

• Madmaks changed the title to Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vc (Trop) RIAF, 1 SFTS Peshavar