Revell JU88 2008 kit no 04728

Filbert

If this is the original kit, as I strongly suspect, then it is considerably poorer in shape than the latest kit and lacks considerable internal detail.  The parts fitted together about as well as most kits of the period which means better than some seem to think - they are probably judging from very late pulls from old tools.  Which come to think of it, is probably what yours is.  If you want something to throw together which looks more like a Ju88 than it does anything else, perhaps for use as a paint mule, then ok.  If you want a nice Ju88 kit to modern standards of accuracy and detail, this isn't what you want.

• Like 1

The kit you listed is the first version of the 1/32 Ju 88 Revell did.  It had all the parts for an A-1, but was configured to be built in an A-4 version with extra parts that might come later.  It goes together pretty well.  The problem issues deal with some injection marks in bad places in the interior that need to be filled.  The interior is done quite well.  There are no seatbelts, so those will have to be outsourced.  I would recommend getting an aftermarket instrument panel just because of the scale and how visible it is.  There are no exterior bomb racks and there is not a bomb bay.  If you want that, some surgery will have to be done along with building up all of the detail.  Either drill out the kit exhausts or get aftermarket replacements.  I highly recommend the purchase of canopy masks unless you really like and enjoy the canopy masking torture that this kit will provide you with.  Overall, it is a great kit and was very nicely priced at the time.  It is a little better quality than the 1/32 He -111 Revell did earlier.  You can get the Ju-88 at a lot better price than the He 111.  The He 111 is going for ridiculous prices on Ebay over what it originally cost when introduced.  Hope this helps.  It really makes into a very large impressive kit.

• Like 3

I built this kit. The main disadvantage was that the parts were spread on every sprue, and they didn't have letters which indicated which sprue was which. This lead to a huge head ache because I wasn't able to find anything.

The second issue was that the bomb aimer seat didn't have a positive location, so I left it out. The rudder pedals also had very vague location points and interfered with the fit of the nose glazing.

I suggest getting a metal set for the main gear. The assembly itself is solid, but the part where the wheels are added are delicate and will break at the slightest pressure.

It should look like this once you're finished:

z1Gjapv.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I built this kit. 

Your build is very impressive and looks great.  I did forget how much fun it was to find parts given the amount of sprues there are in the kit and how haphazard different categories of the build were spread over the sprues.  Other than that the build was pretty enjoyable.  With most 1/32 undercarriages, it seems they will be too fragile to support the kit over time.  So far, the legs have not collapsed on this kit.  Again, really good build (lots better than mine).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Build it, give in to the Dark Side of 1:32 modelling.

If you are not hooked on 1/32 scale as some of us (meaning me) are ancient and have bad eyesight, this is a good kit to give it a go.  You will enjoy the build and a really impressive model will result.  Not quite a shake and bake kit, but as long as you stay close to the instruction steps can't really go wrong.

• Like 2

I seem to be on a bit of a Ju 88 tear right now, and this kit intrigues me. It sounds like it's worth buying (at the right price, of course). Isn't there also a newish Revell kit of the A-1/A-4 in 1/72nd scale (I have the ancient kit which I tried to convert into an H-1/H-2)?

Best Regards,

Jason

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Ah, thanks.  Same the scale wasn't mentioned.

Not directly, but the number gives a clue, as Revell uses/has used a (pretty rudimentary) numbering system since around 1980 (which is nothing compared to Airfix's wonderful sophisticated stuff) - basically it works as follows, with lots of inconsistencies:

- 3xxx military vehicles

- 40xx mostly small 144th and 100th aircraft (and helos)

- 41xx smaller and medium (though the Frog Shackleton also was included, 4101) 72nd aircraft, some odd 1/48ths (e.g. ex-Bandai lightplanes - Mooney was 4125) and 144th (A310 Swissair 4130, Crown B-24 4134)

- 42xx airliners/civilian planes - originally

- 43xx larger 72nd and small/medium 48th

- 44xx helos most scales

- 45xx 48th aircraft (but also the ca. 1/140 C-130 [4535] and 1/288 ex-Union Shuttle [4544], X-1, X-5, some 48th Helos...)

- 46xx just about anything, only used from ca. 2000 onwards, many 1/72 Hase kits

- 47xx 32nd aircraft

- 48xx space and miscellaneous aircraft

- 5xxx ships

- 7xxx cars

- 86xx History Makers

The aircraft numbers have meandered into the 38xx and 39xx ranges in the past couple of years if I am not mistaken, but I can't see any pattern.

23 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I seem to be on a bit of a Ju 88 tear right now, and this kit intrigues me. It sounds like it's worth buying (at the right price, of course). Isn't there also a newish Revell kit of the A-1/A-4 in 1/72nd scale (I have the ancient kit which I tried to convert into an H-1/H-2)?

Best Regards,

Jason

Yes, but that one must be some 10 years plus now, too.  I guess both 32nd and 72nd share common research... but it's only a guess.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Best Regards,

Jason

Yes Revell did the A-4 and C-6 in 1/72 rather recently (2012/13) and the A-1 a couple of years ago

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Best Regards,

Jason

Jason, take a look at several Revell recent tool Ju 88:s - and other kits too - that got built in the Ju 88 family GB. It was fun 🙂

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/777-junkers-ju-88-family-stgb/

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Jason, take a look at several Revell recent tool Ju 88:s - and other kits too - that got built in the Ju 88 family GB. It was fun 🙂

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/777-junkers-ju-88-family-stgb/

Yes, I saw those. That's what got me on my current Ju 88 kit buying spree. It's all your fault (although to be honest I've always rather liked the Ju 88)!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Build it, give in to the Dark Side of 1:32 modelling.

Yes since coming back to this hobby and having nearly completed the current Revell 1/32 Hurricane 11B, which incidentally is a pretty good kit imo, light years ahead of anything I remember. 

I have decided to build a collection around this scale, there seems to be a pretty good range of subjects to choose from and the detail built into these kits is pretty damn good, just what I want.

It will no doubt take me a while to improve my modelling skills, especially with the airbrush, but I'll hopefully get there.

• Like 1